Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Bother, appears my email's been hacked or something. (This seemed the right place for that sort of impediment.) Apologies to anyone on the forum who gets some weird spammy mail from me, 'tis not of my volition. Not entirely sure of how to remedy this, mind.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

A.Cow

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 April, 2012, 09:03:04 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 10 April, 2012, 08:59:53 PM
According to Ricky Santorum, anal bleaching is MURDER.
Well, it's certainly no picnic.

I've clearly been doing picnics wrong all these years.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 April, 2012, 06:16:19 AM
It's bitching time!

Last night while using a pub's wifi to check my e-mails, some drunken arsewipe approached me and told me I was a machinehead, obsessed with technology, and should interact with real people.  I told him he was making a ridiculous judgement about someone he didn't even know, he then told me he was joking and left.

I then listened to him not three feet away telling another guy at length how my generation, unlike his, has grown up without any sense of reality, and technology has made us 'too nervous to talk to real people in bars'.  This went on for some time till I left my e-mails and questioned him about it, he turned out to be 42, all of 5 years older than me.

The guy he was talking was 57 and very pleasant, and also very appreciative of technology and how it has made his life easier.  We let the other man rant on, and on, and on, and finally both left him to it.  I put the laptop away first though, telling him I knew it was upsetting him (oh, the guilty joy of petty digs).

Later on the first Harry Potter film (very popular here in Thailand) came on the telly and his rant turned to how this was 'propogating the idea that Eton-type public schools are superior to normal schools'.  I tried to tell him that it was a fun movie aimed at kids, but it didn't register with this master of real-life conversation, who came from Oxford and therefore 'has seen what it's like'.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I personally am a bit of a gobshite too.  I met the same guy the other night, and without so much booze on him he's actually not a bad guy.  He said he understood that I was only getting in touch with my family at home and just wasn't very technically competent himself.  Ended up having a nice long chat with him about many interesting things.

Perhaps it's not him who shouldn't make huge judgements about people he hardly knows  :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hoagy

Some people like to act an asshole when they are drunk. In a very ironical way. It seems to ignite a funny nerve in them. But they have to watch it. Do it too many times and the wind will change and they will stay that way.

He knows his failings now but age can erode such self awareness.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Albion

I got some books from the Cinebooks stand at Hi-Ex.
I've started reading Aldebaran.
As soon as I opened the book the cover came away from the spine and the pages started falling out.  :(
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Trout

Quote from: Albion on 11 April, 2012, 08:24:39 AM
As soon as I opened the book the cover came away from the spine and the pages started falling out.  :(

WTF? That's terrible! The books I bought are OK.

You should email them and ask for a replacement.

COMMANDO FORCES

Perhaps if you hadn't buggered off early you may have looked at one in the hall and seen this defect and then exchanged it on the spot  ;)

Albion

Quote from: Trout on 11 April, 2012, 09:15:44 AM

I'll be emailing them soon. Just unlucky with that one I guess. The other six books are fine.

Albion

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 11 April, 2012, 09:31:13 AM
Perhaps if you hadn't buggered off early you may have looked at one in the hall and seen this defect and then exchanged it on the spot  ;)

:D

I, Cosh

Quote from: Albion on 11 April, 2012, 09:54:04 AM
Quote from: Trout on 11 April, 2012, 09:15:44 AM

I'll be emailing them soon. Just unlucky with that one I guess. The other six books are fine.
I thought this was a pretty common complaint with all Cinebooks stuff? Not that that means you shouldn't complain.
We never really die.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

2 things this week so far....

1.  Your lack of planning and forethought, does not make it a panic on my behalf
2.  Who managed to patch racks of servers without following those little cable tidy things that are conveniently put down the side for such a purpose /rhetorical
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Albion

Quote from: Albion on 11 April, 2012, 08:24:39 AM

I sent Cinebooks an email this morning. They replied very quickly and are sending me a replacement. Well done Cinebooks.  :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: George Dread on 11 April, 2012, 08:23:01 AM
Some people like to act an asshole when they are drunk. In a very ironical way. It seems to ignite a funny nerve in them. But they have to watch it. Do it too many times and the wind will change and they will stay that way.

He knows his failings now but age can erode such self awareness.

True enough.  Personally, I don't like to act like an asshole when I'm drunk. But sometimes, act like an asshole when drunk I do regardless.  The solution - don't get drunk as often.  I'll see how it goes  :|
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin Zeal

It's Friday 13th, and although I don't consider it unlucky I'm a bit disappointed to see that the BBC no longer show one of the Friday 13th films to mark this. It was through the BBC doing this that I was lucky (?) enough to first see parts 6-8 during my teens. It's a shame that other kids aren't able to do this now.