Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 20 February, 2013, 06:59:03 AM
I'm pretty staggered by how culture-shocked I feel, having always assumed I'd fit right in here being so familiar with the language and culture and all that. I grew up in awe of America, and now I'm experiencing it for real it's really quite disconcerting how alien and weird it all feels.

Fascinated to hear that Radiator, I've only been in the States once myself, and that was almost exactly my reaction.  Part of it was definitely jet-lag (my mother, a seasoned traveler from visiting family spread all over the globe, denies its existence when 'going the right way', but urrgh) which I found very unsettling, but part of it was genuine culture-shock - from expecting the familiar but finding the alien. I did end up thoroughly enjoying my travels there, and became very well-disposed to the polite, friendly and overwhelmingly helpful people Americans turned out to be, but the initial impression was... weird.  I'm no globetrotter myself, but I've traveled a fair bit in Europe since, as far as Turkey, Slovenia and Hungary, and the US was by far the most foreign place I've been.

SuperSurfer

Hope you are on the mend, Mogzilla.

Regarding the discussion about the US – quite the opposite experience for me. I've been there three times (on all occasions to Washington DC and NYC). I felt completely at home in New York which in many ways I found similar to London in terms of the hustle and bustle, the mix of people, the variation from area to area. It had a familiarity about it, no doubt due to having spent my life exposed to so many US films and tv programmes. It felt surprisingly European and is one of the few places I've been to where I have felt that I could live. No doubt a totally different vibe though in smaller towns or perhaps more inland.

TordelBack

Quote from: mogzilla on 25 February, 2013, 12:29:11 PM
...cos i spent last night in a & e thinking i was having a heart attack but lucily im not, hearts fine so's i can carry on abusing it and i dont haqve a blood clot in my lung so apart from the white hot pain keeping me awakes im fine! yay!

Missed your post completely Mogz - that sounds like a f'ing ghastly experience.  Hope you are recovering.

mogzilla

thanks all, doing well its gone from full scary to twinge and i cant sleep on my left side at the moment but i can go back to wqork tomoz

IAMTHESYSTEM

Be well Mogzilla. Bit of a shock. Still it put my would be rant about being held up in traffic into perspective.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Quote from: mogzilla on 26 February, 2013, 05:25:41 PM
thanks all, doing well its gone from full scary to twinge and i cant sleep on my left side at the moment but i can go back to wqork tomoz

This may sound silly mogz, but be sure to drink lots of water, 1 - 2 litres a day, and see if that helps. Sometimes dehydration of the heart/lung area can feel like a heart attack/angina.

Dandontdare

My landline is out so no home internet - I can catch up at work, but I can't see most of the pictures - boo! Apparently BT are "on the case", but Grud knows what that actually means.

Tiplodocus

No pictures? And I am about to turn the calendar over.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

SKD

Computer keeps freezing or display driver stops working. >:( We also have mice in the walls/floor, we have 'caught' three already and found another one dead in the bedroom.

Stew.

Link Prime

Quote from: SKD on 28 February, 2013, 07:22:53 PM
We also have mice in the walls/floor, we have 'caught' three already and found another one dead in the bedroom.

Stew.

Rest assured SKD, there are more of the little shits.
'In the walls' is a call the professionals moment I think!

judda fett

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 February, 2013, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: SKD on 28 February, 2013, 07:22:53 PM
We also have mice in the walls/floor, we have 'caught' three already and found another one dead in the bedroom.

Stew.

Rest assured SKD, there are more of the little shits.
'In the walls' is a call the professionals moment I think!

Saw a way of using mouse paper that doesn't end up with you having to stove the caught mouse's head in afterwards if yer one ah they peacenik do-gooders. You drizzle some olive oil on their trapped legs and wait patiently while they work themselves free. It's that or the breakbacks.

Link Prime

judda fett

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 February, 2013, 09:58:40 PM
Quote from: judda fett on 28 February, 2013, 09:54:12 PM

Saw

Fan of that movie, eh Judda

For a moment I thought I'd posted in threadjacking to elicit that response, then I realised my post was unintentionally grim. In retrospect I'd suggest Rodentine.

judda fett