Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

TordelBack

Pushing the boundaries of a 'minor impediment', it turns out am still a complete f'ing idiot

My 6yr-old son's swimming lesson this evening was a bloody disgrace.  The (new, very nice, but rather hopeless) instructor was paying no attention to the pushing and shoving that was going on every time she turned her back, one lad and one lass in particular acting the maggot and generally distracting everyone.

Out of the blue the pushy girl's father goes over to the line and rather than bringing it to the instructor's attention, which I had been on the verge of doing, starts giving out to the main offending boy and to my son, the only other boy in the 11-strong class, and who (for once, being very serious about his swimming) had not been involved.  I was in swimming with my daughter at the time, and swam over to the side to ask him what the problem was.  He said 'the boys are pushing the girls', I replied 'and vice versa', he said 'well I told the boys to go the back of the line and let the girls go first'.  I told him if he had a problem with the way the class was organised he should talk to the instructor about it, and not to my son, who by this point was standing at the back of the line looking utterly miserable. 

He replied that he hadn't talked to my son, which he blatantly just had, and I lost my temper completely, saw only red mist and shouted, very loudly, at him that if I saw him ordering my son around again during his swimming lesson he would have a serious problem with me.  He slunk off.  If he hadn't I think I'd have hit him right there and then.

What a stupid bloody thing to lose my temper over, standing there dripping wet in front of a pool full of kids and parents shouting at a fat git like the fucking idiot I am.  I'm in my 40s.  You think I'd have learnt some bloody sense by now.

Trout

The emigration roundup:

Nobody can cope with life in Canada unless they have a car. It's torture.
To buy a car, you need insurance.
To get insurance, you need a Canadian licence.
To swap your UK licence for a Canadian one, you need to go to the test centre.
To get to the test centre... Yep. You need a car.

That's just a small sample of the frustrations and difficulties of starting afresh in a new country. I realise these are the epitome of first world problems, but after a week I'm going a bit mad.

Yes, I have hired a car now.

Hawkmumbler

TordleBack ,dude, i'm sure I would have done the same. I'm extremely protective of my siblings (to the point where I feel shame when they misbehave and rage when there made to cry) and from what you've said this guy was way out of line. It's the instructors duty to make sure the children keep in line during the lessons, not his. You had every right to lose your rag with him.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 March, 2013, 08:13:24 PM
He replied that he hadn't talked to my son, which he blatantly just had, and I lost my temper completely, saw only red mist and shouted, very loudly, at him that if I saw him ordering my son around again during his swimming lesson he would have a serious problem with me.  He slunk off.  If he hadn't I think I'd have hit him right there and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pIT1u9CXHR4#t=9s

Mikey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pIT1u9CXHR4#t=9s

:lol: Nice one sauchie!

But TB, don't put yourself down for it. It happens to everyone and you won.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

radiator

Man, how fucking crap is the Dark Horse comics App?

Comics you've bought completely fail to download, unattractive and confusing interface, frequent crashes...

Sort it out!

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 21 March, 2013, 09:26:03 AM
Man, how fucking crap is the Dark Horse comics App?

Comics you've bought completely fail to download, unattractive and confusing interface, frequent crashes...

Sort it out!

iOS Dark Horse update released today...did you have the problem before or after? (I know sometimes the bloody updates casue more problems than fixing them)

radiator

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't updated yet, but when I did some angry Googling/reading of App Store reviews I got the impression that these problems have persisted since the App launched and have so far not been fixed by updates.

It's a pain, because Comixology is so lovely to use - I actually (despite a few occasional issues I have with their pricing) like buying stuff from them because the process is so smooth and user friendly, and the presentation is fantastic. Shame the same can't be said for DH - I bought Lone Wolf and Cub Volume 1 and it resolutely fails to download fully, disappearing from my shelf every time I re-open the App. I also really don't like the layout or design. What is a 'Collection' and why is that different from the 'Bookshelf'? Why do they keep trying to get me to download comics I have no interest in? They can't even get the page-turning mechanic right!

Banners

Why can't they just leave things alone? A recent Gmail app update basically buggered my phone. You get everything just right how you want it, and then an update comes along and ruins everything.

On a related issue, Google have agreed to send a replacement phone as my current handset no longer charges via USB. However, I need to use my credit card as security before they send it and, unfortunately, Google Wallet doesn't accept UK credit cards. So, I'm a bit stuffed...

radiator

QuoteWhy can't they just leave things alone? A recent Gmail app update basically buggered my phone. You get everything just right how you want it, and then an update comes along and ruins everything.

I feel this way about iTunes. I own two computers - one at work, one at home. I used to be able to simply drag and drop songs/podcasts etc onto my iPod/iPhone at leisure. But every time they update iTunes it buggers it all up, forces me to 'sync' each device to each computer (WHY?!?!?!), wipes all podcasts off a device etc etc. Why is it so difficult to just do something so basic such as drag and drop? I also hate the new iTunes layout and interface - it wasn't broken, so why fix it?

And don't even get me started on the new Podcasts App....

I also, in all honesty, preferred Facebook circa 2007, when it was more like MySpace - basically like having your own little personal, customisable website, rather than forcing you to 'share' everything with everyone, all the time. Um, I don't really want to 'share' nerdy conversations about comics and stuff with all my friends and family.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 March, 2013, 08:13:24 PM
The spirit of SBT lives on.
We never really die.

von Boom

Just found a hole in my sock and now my toe is sticking through and rubbing against the inside of my shoe.

Oh, and welcome to Canada Troutfire.

Trout

Quote from: von Boom on 21 March, 2013, 01:18:02 PM
Just found a hole in my sock and now my toe is sticking through and rubbing against the inside of my shoe.

Oh, and welcome to Canada Troutfire.

Thank you! Are you in Canada? I may need to borrow money. ;)

von Boom