Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Beigh

Shirts I can understand, although I tend to side with Mardroid on this issue. T-Shirts iron themselves on hangers. Boxers shorts and socks are wrong on every level. I did know someone who used to iron their towels... I don't know them anymore...

JayzusB.Christ

I asked a good friend to help me out with my mural painting jobs last Christmas - he's been doing it ever since and a great job he's been doing of it too.  Today, he dropped the bombshell that he'd like to start his own mural painting business; or go into partnership with me - I can't stop him doing the former, though having a direct rival in the same city will inevitably put strain on our friendship; and I don't particularly want the latter, as it's been my business for the last 10 years (albeit never full-time till this year).
Bit of a kick in the bollix, that. I'm not a great business and also not the most assertive chap in the world; and I really don't know what to do.
Business and friendship don't mix, I suppose.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Doesn't sound like you've got much choice, Jayzus, so you might as well embrace the opportunity to be able to take holidays in the knowledge that someone capable will still be taking care of the business. Just don't go on any skiing holidays or introduce your protégée to your friend's husband.

Spikes

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 July, 2013, 06:35:28 PM
Business and friendship don't mix, I suppose.

I know what you mean, but im also aware that this can work.
Your call J, if your not keen, then your not keen, but it could be a lot of fun - and more importantly, it could really work.

Frank

Business types are fond of quoting Michael Corleone's injunction to keep your friends close and your enemies (potential competitors) closer. Al Pacino's dialogue was paraphrasing Sun Tzu's advice, and the fact the corporate world is so fond of martial metaphors might go some way to explaining why suits generally act like dicks. TordelBack can probably give you the benefit of his hard won personal experience regarding how to arrange your affairs in case the worst happens, but I'd follow that other well known Oriental advice beloved of corporate wank-speakers and treat this crisis as an opportunity.

Sideshow Bob

Yep.....Got to agree with all of the above....
Look upon it as an opportunity to increase your output/ expand your business .....Better a partner than a competitor.....

However, as you say it's your business, and if you're going to take him on as a partner.....Get it done via a legal 'contract'........With ownership rights etc / splitting of costs / distribution of profits / re-investment into the business etc....If it's 'legally binding' than at least if it all goes 'tits up' between the two of you, you'll have a 'legal' fall back......Don't know how much this would cost, probably several hundred....but that would be a 'shared' business cost....and if he's sensible at all, this is what he should want...
Good Luck...
Cheers..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Richmond Clements

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 July, 2013, 08:57:21 PM
Have you considered murdering him?

^
Perhaps this is an alternative ??????
Nice to see that the Moderator gets right to the 'heart' of the problem....And offers a 'very logical and common sense solution'... :lol:
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  Maybe a partnership could be worth considering.  Or murder. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Sideshow Bob

Buttonman

Didn't know there was that much demand for murals.

I've got an idea for a mural painting business that I may take to Dragon's Den...

JayzusB.Christ

Richmond Clements

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 July, 2013, 06:44:43 AM
Quote from: Buttonman on 09 July, 2013, 11:37:29 PM
Didn't know there was that much demand for murals. I've got an idea for a mural painting business that I may take to Dragon's Den...

I'll kill you and eat you.

Idi Amin tried killing and eating his rivals as far back as the seventies; Uganda never returned a profit while he was CEO, and there's an absolute nightmare entanglement of red tape and legal difficulties around cannibalism which deters investors. For that reason, I'm out.