Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 24 February, 2014, 10:01:08 AM
Eggs and tuna for breakfast not working?

I know this came from a Frasier episode but might that help a little for CL2K as well?  I think they suggested that sometimes, lack of protein in the morning can make you feel all listless and challenges too much etc.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 February, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
I know this came from a Frasier episode but might that help a little for CL2K as well?  I think they suggested that sometimes, lack of protein in the morning can make you feel all listless and challenges too much etc.
You're saying he should have a wank before he gets out of bed?
We never really die.

sheldipez

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 February, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

How else does one start the day?

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 February, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

or the shower. Or both.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

GrinningChimera

I just typed out a post, hit post and for whatever reason I got taken back to the main page and my post never went up :(

A glitch in the matrix I guess

Dandontdare

are you on 'always logged in'or with a time limit? - you may have been logged out while typing.

TordelBack

Here's a very minor impediment, but one that has me a bit stumped.

The work continues to trickle in sufficient to keep me busy 5 or even 6 days a week, and I even got my first cheque of the year at the weekend (hey, it's only March), but now my best buddy wants us to set up a side business together.  It's a good idea, it plays to and requires our different strengths, and could be a long-running seasonal thing that'd give us something regular to work around amidst all the random tendering we both do. Also, potentially fun.

Thing is, I haven't exactly had the best experience of business partners, much of which is my own fault, and I dread the idea of going through all that with someone I really care about.  I also still have huge debts hovering over me from my failed business, which could see me going to the wall at any minute: that's one thing when I'm a sole trader (I took that risk when I started), another when I'm half of someone else's business.  I've just about dragged my depressive arse round to working on my own, I don't know if I'm ready for colleagues again yet.

Ultimately, I don't want to risk losing a very dear friend to the stresses of working with them (or more to the point, them working with me).

But how to explain this to them, when their whole business idea is specifically built around the two of us working together?  I'd basically be scuppering a rather clever scheme all because of possibly groundless worries.  Gah, I think I preferred it* when I was a parasite on the body politic and not a thrusting entreprenurial lodestone of the heritage industry.

*Not really.  Did I tell you I bought a sandwich last week?  In a shop?  It was ace.  Well, not the sandwich, the novelty.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 March, 2014, 11:03:18 PM
Here's a very minor impediment, but one that has me a bit stumped.

The work continues to trickle in sufficient to keep me busy 5 or even 6 days a week, and I even got my first cheque of the year at the weekend (hey, it's only March), but now my best buddy wants us to set up a side business together.  It's a good idea, it plays to and requires our different strengths, and could be a long-running seasonal thing that'd give us something regular to work around amidst all the random tendering we both do. Also, potentially fun.

Thing is, I haven't exactly had the best experience of business partners, much of which is my own fault, and I dread the idea of going through all that with someone I really care about.  I also still have huge debts hovering over me from my failed business, which could see me going to the wall at any minute: that's one thing when I'm a sole trader (I took that risk when I started), another when I'm half of someone else's business.  I've just about dragged my depressive arse round to working on my own, I don't know if I'm ready for colleagues again yet.

Ultimately, I don't want to risk losing a very dear friend to the stresses of working with them (or more to the point, them working with me).

But how to explain this to them, when their whole business idea is specifically built around the two of us working together?  I'd basically be scuppering a rather clever scheme all because of possibly groundless worries.  Gah, I think I preferred it* when I was a parasite on the body politic and not a thrusting entreprenurial lodestone of the heritage industry.

*Not really.  Did I tell you I bought a sandwich last week?  In a shop?  It was ace.  Well, not the sandwich, the novelty.

Well TordelBack if he really is your best friend he should know what you have been through the last few years and should understand it when you explain to him why you think it's not a good idea. Best friends are hard to replace!

maryanddavid

Business and family, never a good mix, kinda extends to good friends too. If you explained your perspective and situation and see how it goes, if it's a good idea it just be worth following.

Theblazeuk

Give it a go, explain your doubts. Plus inability to get any further into debt over this one.

Nothing better than working with friends when it works out.

Banners

Could you express your concerns, agree to do one project as a trial, and then re-assess?

TordelBack

Thanks for the advice, folks, all very helpful.  I was a bit the worse for drink when I wrote the original post, and have had more sensible thoughts since, but essentially the sentiments remain.  Having the previous phase of my working life crash down around my ears has made me acutely conscious of the relative importance of friends and work, and the difficulty of maintaining friendships when the latter goes arse over tit. 

I think a drink-free lunch and a long chat are in order, put all my concerns on the table and see what comes out of it: despite their enthusiasm I'd rather let my mate down now than fuck up their livelihood and/or our relationship.  Turns out we actually have a different simpler thing we can work on together first, so that'll be a useful toe in the water and pretext to talk all this stuff through.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 March, 2014, 10:05:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks, all very helpful.  I was a bit the worse for drink when I wrote the original post, and have had more sensible thoughts since, but essentially the sentiments remain.  Having the previous phase of my working life crash down around my ears has made me acutely conscious of the relative importance of friends and work, and the difficulty of maintaining friendships when the latter goes arse over tit. 

I think a drink-free lunch and a long chat are in order, put all my concerns on the table and see what comes out of it: despite their enthusiasm I'd rather let my mate down now than fuck up their livelihood and/or our relationship.  Turns out we actually have a different simpler thing we can work on together first, so that'll be a useful toe in the water and pretext to talk all this stuff through.

Get an agreement about what happens when you fall out. Best case: You don't ever use it. Worst case: It saves a lot of misery
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

And my impediment is:

We've got mice.

EDIT: On the upside, there is nothing quite as satisfying as killing the wee bastiches. Sod this "humane" stuff. You come into my house, you eat my food, you piss on my floor, you die.
Lock up your spoons!