Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tordels :-)
I'm wondering now about flogging my Twoothies and Megs to finance my wanderings (a great way to meet fellow Squaxx like Foxy and Trout, and what a way to do the conventions!). The first 100 2000ADs are a bit poor but the rest are okay.
Jeez - never thought I'd say that. How the world turns, eh?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GrinningChimera

If you get lost and find you've sailed to the coast of New Zealand look me up!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Fungus

TLS tossing progs 1, 2.. there goes 3... over his shoulder nonchalantly as he passes each UK convention in turn, on his canal boat... glorious.

Cosh's Crinan Canal just gave me a pang of nostalgia (ouch!).

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 May, 2014, 07:29:18 PM
I'm wondering now about flogging my Twoothies and Megs to finance my wanderings (a great way to meet fellow Squaxx like Foxy and Trout, and what a way to do the conventions!).

I think for Trout you'll need to flog more than progs as the man is now near full Ontarian. However the rail prices as they are a bird to Maple-leafland is probably the same as a train to the cider city....

You're always welcome here though for what it's worth - ! Come say hullo at Thought Bubble!

Cyberleader2000

today I was expecting to recive a customs fee card from royal mail but know how my post man likes to troll me I thort the would delivere it 5 minits arfter the office shuts like they usichily do on a bank holiday week end o no I was luck customs atachily missed my parcel so no fees this would have been great except the royal mail Ninja was delivereing today I call them that as I have no sine that they had been except a fing card saying they were unable to delevere my parcel if thats not bad enouth I'm pretty sure they have lost 5 of my other parcels.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Theblazeuk

Some post offices (or some posties...) really do just post the red letter through the box rather than make any attempt to post the parcel. It was particularly bad in Portsmouth and has happened a few times in London but never once in Rochdale.

If it wasn't for the fact you could see the letterbox from the bathroom or the kitchen I'd just have said I was being cynical, but I've had to go out and get the parcel before they drove off a few times. Response every time you ask why they didn't actually try the doorbell or knock = "I did". Short of just saying they are liars what can you do eh....

TordelBack

This night shift malarkey is starting to get me down.  I've been told I'm needed every weekend for a month now, and it seems only 50% of the shifts actually happen - and it's usually cancelled at an hour or two's notice.  So I'm sitting there at 1am of a Saturday morn, hyped up on coffee since I'll be on from 2 'til lunchtime, loading my gear into the car in the rain, and bam I'm cancelled.  And fat chance of getting a night's sleep.

Then tonight I'm doing a short shift which is supposed to be 2100-0300, which means my whole night is screwed but I only get 6 hour's pay, and when I finally get in touch with the guy I'm subbing for he tells me I could actually be on til midday depending- which is grand, but I had plans for tomorrow, but do I cancel them now or wait and see?

Then he tells me I'm covering a sensitive area and they haven't worked there before, but there are no on-call assistants or supervisors so I'll have to deal with anything and everything that comes up myself: and it's a city-centre road crossing, so it all has to be done and backfilled in the one shift. 'S a bit much.

I'm moaning again, and I in fairness I took this gig because the money is good, I can keep working on my other less-profitable projects, there's no childcare costs, and my new business badly needs an infusion of cash, but it's becoming obvious why these shifts are going a-begging in the first place and why they're prepared to pay so well, and I'm starting to wonder whether the toll its taking is actually worth it.

I know more than a few people here work night shifts for years, and since I'm still looking after the kids most days I am used to doing much of my work over night, but it's the uncertainty and irregularity of this setup that are killing me.  One time its 0200-1200, then it's 1700-0500, then its 2100 to 0300.... and just as often it's go back to bed, nothing happening.  How do experienced hands usually handle these things?  Interested to know any tips

ZenArcade

Tordelback, whiskey helps (mind you, make sure it's good sippin whiskey; not gulpin whiskey).
Sharky: sharks, like all cursive hunters, are meant  to wander. Roam free my pelagic roaming selachimporphic friend. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Oh and Shark, don't act precipitously, store your progs with a friend. Times won't always be as they are now. You'll have better days buddy.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

CrazyFoxMachine

That must be playing merry hell with your body clock there TB I don't envy you - zero hour type deals are annoying as it is without that random night-hour element flung in there as well - around about half three I tend to start getting the weirdies and flipping out so I'd be terrible at that kind of job!

...isn't oor Burdis a long-term nightman?

Frank

I don't know how much practical help it will be, but a sympathetic academic study of how different social groupings handle night work should help pass the time waiting in the cold and dark to hear your services aren't needed tonight. I've only ever done a handful of night shifts, and I just wanted to crawl into a corner and go to sleep by about 3AM.

The Legendary Shark

Start charging them for the inconvenience - fifty quid a pop should start dissuading them from thinking they can faff you about with impunity.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Cyberleader2000

as if my day could not get any worses I get this email 4 hours arfter they posted my order god dam it it was one of the 2 main points for this stupid order this shop is a mence if you dont spend 5000 yen they charge you 500 yen so I would problay have passed except they had 2 items I really wanted and this was one of them.

on a side note sorie to here about that TordelBack I know how haveing your sleep patten scrued with and really mess you up.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime