Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I, Cosh

Quote from: JamesC on 04 September, 2014, 10:22:12 AM
Isn't Radiator in the US? Not sure of the laws over there but I believe CCTV is actually less prevalent than it is in the UK.
Yeah and I'm fairly sure this sort of thing will vary from state to state so the lack of any Oregon based legal eagles might stymie him.

A cursory google suggests that it's acceptable in the main office but not the shitter and there would need to be a formal policy communicated for it to form the basis of any disciplinary action. Interestingly that's for video, recording audio seems to be a whole different ballgame and could make the employer guilty of operating an illegal wiretap!
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 September, 2014, 10:40:51 AMThe poor woman has no idea it exists, let alone that an entire office is watching her.
Agreed, but not just the nanny. I find it quite unsettling that there are people who are such control freaks that they need to have some way of monitoring their kids from the other side of the world .
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 September, 2014, 10:40:51 AM
Cripes Radiator, that'd drive me crazy.

A fellow [redacted] works with has a Nannycam installed at home to watch his childminder during the day.  It's apparently neatly concealed behind a picture, and he keeps the feed running in a corner of his monitor.  He occasionally calls people over to show them things his kids are doing.  The poor woman has no idea it exists, let alone that an entire office is watching her.

I obviously understand the protective impulse when it comes to one's brood, but sheesh, who wants to work on Springwatch Live?.

It's the Trueman Show!

Mardroid

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 September, 2014, 04:55:23 PM
One of my pet hate on trains, buses etc is when someone gets all territorial and fancies claiming one and a half seats.

I sat next to a young guy once who actually spread his leg into my space trying to push me to the edge of  my seat. He seemed to be doing it just for the amusement factor (judging by the smirk on his face).

Something else I find annoying is when people have an empty seat next to them but make it unavailable by either sticking their bag on it (Not an issue if there are plenty of other seats. I'm talking about when most/all the other seats are taken.) or sitting on the aisle seat.

To be fair the latter aren't always trying to claim both, they just prefer the aisle and are willing to move over if you approach them but it gives a negative "I want noone sitting next to me" impression. Okay I prefer not to have a stranger sitting next to me, but I wouldn't object to it or do anything to prevent them.

On the other hand when there are lots of two seats available and someone still sits next to you, I find that a bit irritating. But even then I wouldn't do anything.

The Legendary Shark

Pretending to be ill or mental is a good way to get a seat to yourself. Inviting strangers to sit next to you is also a good one but your invitation must be enthusiastic. Flatulence is a good deterrent as well, as is B.O. And never underestimate the power of muttering.
Me, I kinda' like it when strangers sit next to me on the bus or train - having no friends of my own, it gives me someone to talk to.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 September, 2014, 02:52:22 PM
Something else I find annoying is when people have an empty seat next to them but make it unavailable by either sticking their bag on it

Major pet hate of mine - I will always ask people if they could move the bag, and most of the time they will move it. When they refuse then I ask if the bag has a ticket for travel and that usually works. The times it doesn't, or the times the initial request is ignored....then I just go ahead and sit on the bag.

Unrelated.....just had a 2.5 week break from work, on holiday with the family and friends in Orlando. Best holiday ever - kids loved it. Got back early Friday morning but couldn't sleep on flight back so jet lag avoidance plans were already up in the air. Ended up sleeping for about 5 hours on Friday but during the day and couldn't sleep that night, plus the kids were up a few times during the night so any attempts to sleep were interrupted. Same going into Sunday, and then into Monday.

Running on fumes before even starting work - and then get in to find out I've been scheduled for on-call support this week (Monday evening through to next Monday morning) I usually have problems sleeping during on-call weeks, due to not being able to relax, but got home this evening (Monday) and went straight to bed.....drifted off nicely around 9pm. And then get woken at 1:27 for an on-call engagement.....thankfully managed to pass it on to someone based in our Singapore office to work on, and was finished with that at 2:30-ish.

But can I get back to sleep? Can I fu.....
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Dandontdare

you probably don't want to hear how a lucky arrangement of shifts meant that I've just arrived at work after a solid blissful 10 hours sleep. I can also have a nice lie in for the next two days as I'm on lates. Ahhhhh!

DaveGYNWA

Git  :lol:

Decided to head into work early soon after that post - got in, and I'm straight on to pick up that engagement back up from the guy I handed it off to. Still on the call right now, 5 hours later, and we've just had the eureka "We can prove it's not our software, and can prove it's your data" moment  :o

I'm going home early, and getting into bed the moment I get in the door.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

radiator

Coming down with a heavy cold and in the process of losing my voice, but far too busy at work to be able to take a day or two off...   :|

Mattofthespurs

Dog has started to limp quite severly on her back left leg.

One minute she was fine, the next a limp and a sad look.  :(

Goaty

TordelBack

Gah, both weekend days/nights of work cancelled at no notice, and less than a week's notice that my current contract will finish completely next Thursday, which basically translates to three days' more work and then nowt.  Oh, and let's not forget the traditional 'we might have some other work for you soon' sweetener: ooh yes master, thank you master.  Just pay me even one of my last three invoices and I'll feel better disposed to your notional largesse.

So here I sit with a buggered sleep cycle that leaves me awake until 5am and a mumbling zombie until midday, trying to find some replacement work.

There's a lot of good things about being your own boss, flaky clients are not one of them.

The Legendary Shark

Bummer, Tordels :-(
Still, I'm sure a man of your calibre will soon get another shot. Best of luck, fella.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Arr - utter shite there TB. You're an archaeologist ain'tcha?

Not very helpful I know but there's a ton of solid work going in the SW of England at the moment - I imagine the commute doesn't appeal though  :o