Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

First time deploying a site on Microsoft Azure, which is due to go live tomorrow, and the fucker is down. So, we can't test it and the client can't see it. This cloud you keep telling me about? Yeah, marvellous. Thanks.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe the Sun came out?
(Sun Microsystems, Java, programming glitch, geddit? Oh well, suit yourself...)
My brother's split from his missus, leaving him stranded in a bedsit in London. So, both Mrs H's boys are now technically homeless. I bet she's so proud...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

the "see no evil,hear no evil,speak no evil" owls I bought for the missus' birthday next week have black marks all over the front of them ,hope I can get this sorted soon.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I recently updated my Nexus 5 Phone to Android Lollipop.

Then my phone started doing a weird flickery when receiving texts.

Also the Phone App crashes when I get incoming calls.

The first problem hasn't occurred since I switched off the LG G watch I had paired with it* - but then again it didn't happen all the time when the phone was active - but the second issue continued after.

I'm curious, if any of you have had any issues with upgrade?

*I think it's still a Lollipop issue since the there were no issues with the watch before the upgrade.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

Mardroid

I called the Google helping line. First time, the guy couldn't hear me. On second call... he heard me but just after I had explained my problem... I ran out of credit.

l'm sure I had plenty of credit, so I'm guessing the 0800 number I used gobbles a lot more than usual, rather than being free like for landlines.

On the plus side I was a mailed Steps to help sort the problem out.

First step: Clear the cache, didn't work
2nd Step: Restart in safe mode - tried that yesterday. Didn't work, but at least I know it's not a 3rd party app.
3. Now I'm doing a factory reset. King that right now. I'm sure it doesn't actually reset the OS, it just wipes my files but we shall see...

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 November, 2014, 05:04:19 PM

The first problem hasn't occurred since I switched off the LG G watch I had paired with it* - but then again it didn't happen all the time when the phone was active - but the second issue continued after.

*I think it's still a Lollipop issue since the there were no issues with the watch before the upgrade.

I had a similar experience when I upgraded to lollipop on my Nexus 7, 2012 version. Had to rewind to previous update to get it working again.... :(
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Mardroid

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 23 November, 2014, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 22 November, 2014, 05:04:19 PM

I had a similar experience when I upgraded to lollipop on my Nexus 7, 2012 version. Had to rewind to previous update to get it working again.... :(

I've read about issues with Nexus 7 too. (I used to have one too, by the way, but I sold it when I got my Kindle Fire HD X ). I understand downgrading the OS is a bit of a pain.

Anyhow, resetting my phone to factory settings has done the trick so far. I'm glad I didn't have to downgrade the OS. Despite the issues I've had, its quite nice...

Darren Stephens

Is a bit of a pain to do. Had to wipe it and download an older version of Android for it. Not too difficult, but long winded and completed avoidable, if they'd only tested it properly. Must admit, it did LOOK cool, though....☺
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Rog69

I've had it on my Nexus 7 (2013) for a few days now and its been pretty flawless so far, a little faster than before too. My only issue with it is the way you now close apps being a little clunkier than the previous version.

Mardroid

Yeah I'm not sure putting browser tags and apps in the same place was a good idea. It can be switched off though.

Banners

Azure sorted. Website went live this morning. However, the home page design prominently features a video hosted at Vimeo, which – for some reason – the client has now deleted.

~sigh~

Grugz

went to a keeping in touch meeting at work as I have been off a while for depression/anxiety and have been told I'm being investigated for a number of allegations ranging from nicking off work to breaching confidentiality and basically putting my patients at risk! obviously feeling shit anyway but to have that thrown at you especially as they wont tell me what I'm supposed to have done or whos said it. I have an idea who the main instigator is and it smacks of a witch hunt cos my face doesn't fit in the persons little gang ...so now I feel even worse and stabbed in the back since I have been there 17 years and all of a sudden in the six weeks I was in I suddenly became a danger and unprofessional .

TordelBack

That's terrible stuff, Grugz.  You should have been informed in advance of the content of a meeting where disciplinary issues were going to be raised prior to attending, and been given the opportunity to bring someone with you, be it union rep (if you have one), solicitor or just sympathetic witness.  I know it's no consolation at all, but if you have medical certification for your depression/anxiety this sort of behaviour on the part of your colleagues will look very bad should matters ever come to law.

Something vaguely similar happened to me the first time I was ever absent from work due to severe depression (I didn't even know that's what it was at the time) - after 7 years of 6-7 day 70 hour weeks, certain colleagues set about systematically and publicly blaming me for pretty much everything, including things that had happened during my absence.  In the event I was able to sort things out when I returned, and the colleagues in question 'moved on', although they left a colossal mess. 

I know that it may be impossible when your head is where it is, but try to remember that these are only allegations - you have to be given an opportunity to defend yourself, and that the burden of proof is on them.  Further, that you can only really address this sort of thing when you get yourself well, so don't further stress yourself about dealing with it now.  It's also worth remembering that it can be tough for colleagues to deal with long absences, and it's possible that some of what you're hearing may be just their frustration filtered through your own state of mind: hence the importance of having an ally with you at meetings like that