Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

And another car burnt outside the same dodgy neighbours last night, drama starting at 5am just after I got in from work, and continuing noisily until 730. Grrrr, all work and no sleep makes Homer something something.  Still, at least this time only the one car went and the cops were taking it seriously, with forensics and towtrucks and lots of bright flashing lights (grinds teeth). Maybe they'll accept there's a serious feud going on before in moves to 'viable explosive devices' like in neighbouring estates.

Link Prime

Hawkmumbler

Hell here's something akin to your own predicament Tordels.

Last year, in July, the "Garage" based next door to the dive center burnt down. We (myself, the manager, her other half, and about 4 other instructors and staff members) received an automated response through our phone (Matt set it up i've no idea how it works) at 2 AM in the morning. I shot over their as fats as I could and by which time the fire had already blazed merrily for 30 minutes. Being the first person on the scene besides the fire fighters I ran over and demanded why it hadn't been put out yet.

Their response? "Too confined an area, neither an exterior dowsing or sending men in will do anything!". It was only after I pointed out we had several thousand liters of compressed air, oxygen enriched air and Nitrox bottled up meters away from the flames that they started to get edgy. Seeing as how the main hall of the center was still clear me, Matt and one of the instructors attempted to enter the servicing rooms to remove as much of the gas as we could. Upon opening the door the to back half of the center a huge hall of smoke shot out at us and we legged it back outside. By which point the firemen had started to do their job and sent chaps in with hoses to put it out.

The next day, after making a start on getting rid of the soot within the center which caked everything in a grimy layer of shit, we where invited by the inspector and the land lord to check out the remains of next door. It was clear even to myself that it was arson, as their where three points of origin in which the flames had started. Added to that our CCTV had been rendered inoperable just hours before. Though the court later ruled that this was circumstantial evidence, we never saw a penny of compensation because the garage owners where not insured. Before they could be arrested for several other accounts of illegal activity I can not divulge for....reasons, they jumped the country. Never to be seen again.

We have since got the center up and running again and gleaming like new, I arrived at the center yesterday however to the sight of police cars parked outside. Fearing some nutter had held the shop at gun point I asked the officers what was occurring. Though they could not tell me why, I found out from Matt soon enough that the brother of said nutter whom was formerly the garage manager had taken up residence in the shell of the building....and was growing an insane amount of pot.

It's bee a funny year, all told.

The Legendary Shark

My minor impediment is far less dramatic and far more Narcissistic. I have four short stories in the Top 20 over at YouWriteOn.com and my latest effort has just entered the same chart at number 21. Woo.
But sometimes living alone sucks. Nobody to share this meagre achievement with, nobody to pat me on the head and pretend to be impressed. It all seems so pointless.
Hmmm... That gives me an idea for a story...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

ZenArcade

Well done Shark. Tordel and Hawk life in an urban area in the early 21st century is not good. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Accept our virtual adulation Sharky!  Much better than a real hug, as I've been wearing the same work gear since Sunday (I've decided that when you work outside at night no-one can see you stink).

And Hawk, just how much weed constitutes an 'insane' amount? Asking for a friend.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Wouldn't like to hazzard a net weight, Tordels, but it covered 2 3rds of a 50M by 50M unit. UV Lights and all!

A.Cow

Earlier today my boss introduced me to the Head of a local school -- one of our major clients.  This Head was touring our facilities and seeking reassurance that his pupils fared well when they moved on to our college.  In front of him, I asked one of our best students if she'd gone to his school.  She replied that she hadn't.  After that, the Head has a strange look on his face and seemed unusually keen to move on with his tour.

It was several hours later that I suddenly remembered that his school is an all-boys school.

Bugger.  A career-limiting move, I suspect.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Modern Panther

Just watched an Oxford professor being interviewed by Sky news, about the role of universities in fighting extremism.  A three minute rant which included such choice cuts as...

"The government funds people going to university.  We pay people to go to university"

"This isn't about whether universities teach that the Earth goes around the Sun, or the Sun goes around the Earth.  This is important. "

This man is clearly from the past.

Professor Bear

Quote from: A.Cow on 26 February, 2015, 02:43:59 AMIt was several hours later that I suddenly remembered that his school is an all-boys school.

Bugger.  A career-limiting move, I suspect.

I don't really see why you should be the one embarrassed by the fact that you instinctively know it is the year 2015.  My old school is still one of the most backwards and conservative institutions I know of - its principal's most notable public appearance to date being when she kicked a dog until it bled in front of the student body a year or so back - but even it went mixed about 25 years ago.

Rog69

My nine year old daughter went for a sleepover with one of her friends last night and they decided to give each other a makeover. They couldn't find any hair gel so they decided to use Vaseline instead.

Holy fuck, will this stuff ever come out?

Grugz

Some scrote has been hacking my Microsoft account luckily I had got rid of any payment method info a couple of weeks ago...cunts the lot of them.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html