Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

O.K. Thanks, just glad to see George has backed down on the disability cuts!! He will get us some other way!

Colin Zeal

Brown sauce on bacon, ketchup on sausages. I thought everyone knew that?

Old Tankie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 22 March, 2016, 11:06:58 AM

Good God. What the hell is wrong with you? Ketchup in a bacon cob, brown sauce in a sausage cob. Ketchup is only acceptable on hotdog sausages, which also require mustard to disguise the fact that they're made almost entirely of pigs' trotters, ears and rectums.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 22 March, 2016, 10:37:31 AM
we can only hope!

I'm so pleased that I've gone to the effort of adopting a conciliatory tone and generally not making any reference to your complete fuck-wittery in the run-up to your previous flounce off the board.

Thanks a bunch.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

I had a soft roll with square sausage and tattie scone and a smidgeon of brown sauce this morning. It was ok at best.

I only eat bacon in the house as that way its cooked how I like it, If on a roll then it gets reggae reggae sauce every time.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2016, 11:15:20 AM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 22 March, 2016, 11:06:58 AM
Good God. What the hell is wrong with you? Ketchup in a bacon cob, brown sauce in a sausage cob.
Both of these positions are very repressive if you ask me. If having a single roll (or sandwich) the preferred order is clearly brown sauce for bacon, tomato sauce for sausages. As Colin states. If having two rolls with the same filling then I'd have one with brown and one with tomato. Or possibly some kind of hot sauce depending on what I have to hand.

Is there any mileage in a discussion about the ludicrous words Southerners use when they mean roll? Cob, barm, teacake, gqom, etc. You what, mate? It's worse than Subway.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 March, 2016, 11:18:48 PM
My only problem with your "murder in the name of the food chain" speal... is it doesn't take into account other omnivorous or even carnivourous species. Are these organisms also evil, does the lion playing with it's pray know the torture it's inducing?

Oh but It does take account of it. Vegans and vegetarians aren't out in the wilderness trying to stop animals hunting each other - sad that any animal has to die - but I don't believe nature in itself is evil.

And we humans aren't exactly chasing down our prey like big cats are we?  We are breeding animals in industrial quantities for the sole purpose of slaughter - that's pretty much unnatural. 

But we've evolved enough that we can provide for ourselves without killing and/or cruelty. So why wouldn't we?

I don't do fish either.  I do my best not to kill insects - though some damage is inevitable. But we open windows to let flies out and make escape ladders to help spiders out of the bath etc. 

They are all CUTE. 

(Apparently spiders don't like chestnuts or mint - so if you have any areas you want to keep clear without killing then try those).

I understand that everybody does get very defensive when you ask these questions or suggest that there is another way of doing things.

The natural reaction is to try and "catch the vegan out" or find some exception that justifies the (and I'll use Richmond's favourite phrase here) cognitive dissonance applied to what the food on your plate actually involves.

I've seen several meat eaters today posting about how sickened they are of a video showing little chicks being coloured for Easter decorations etc.  One of our bosses at work posted about how his dogs and cats were part of the family and how much they meant to him and then gleefully describing the pulled pork barbie he had. 

Anyway, if there's anybody left not ignoring me by this point, get back to your bacon buttie discussions.  (But ketchup is an abomination - too sweet to be used in ANY sandwich regardless of filling).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Well my first driving lesson...could have gone better. My coordination is all over the show and I can't change gear, alternate between gas and clutch properly. Also I tend to panic and over steer. Instructor has recommended i take an automatic course instead.

Feeling very stressed and deflated right now, didn't help a BMW driver tried to over take me at a tight corner and got pissed off when he nearly collided with a car coming the other way.

Bolt-01

Hawk- take it slow and tell your instructor you want to repeat the first lesson. Once you overcome the initial nerves all will settle and you will learn.

Do not go for an automatic. You can scuba for grud's sake. You can do this.

TordelBack

Driving lessons are horrible, 'snot just you 'Mumbler.  Don't go for the automatic option, stick it out. You worry about your own reactions, but the roads are full of 80-year olds, distracted parents and Commando Forces, I'm sure you're no worse and they all manage.  You think it's some magical ability you lack, but it's all just practice, put in the hours and one day it'll just click - that's one of the few bits of advice I got from my Dad that proved to be absolutely true.

Colin Zeal

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 March, 2016, 01:29:39 PM
Well my first driving lesson...could have gone better. My coordination is all over the show and I can't change gear, alternate between gas and clutch properly. Also I tend to panic and over steer. Instructor has recommended i take an automatic course instead.

Feeling very stressed and deflated right now, didn't help a BMW driver tried to over take me at a tight corner and got pissed off when he nearly collided with a car coming the other way.

No learner driver gets the balance between clutch and accelerator right in their first lesson. I wouldn't worry about that at present. As others have said, don't switch to an automatic, keep on with these lessons. Nobody can drive after one lesson - that's why you're having them.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks guys, i'll percevier if it kills me!

Out of curiosity, whats the problem with automatics?

Dandontdare

Because it's all you'll ever be able to drive which will always limit your future options.

Practice is the key. I failed 2 driving tests then acted as my mum's driver for a couple of weeks while she did her deliveries for my dad's business - those extra hours just driving around did the trick.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 March, 2016, 12:34:12 PMBut we've evolved enough that we can provide for ourselves without killing and/or cruelty. So why wouldn't we?
Cruelty comes from shielding people from the process, the demand for ever-cheaper food, and the imbalance in modern diets that shoves a slab of meat in front of people and skimps on everything else. I actually wish I could have moved more towards at least vegetarianism myself, but, sadly, health reasons make this impossible. (Once you get a very sudden case of massive adult-onset food intolerance and allergies, your diet is rather decided for you. So no bacon for me, but also no ripe fruit and only limited vegetables and pulses.)