Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 March, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
Thanks guys, i'll percevier if it kills me!

Out of curiosity, whats the problem with automatics?

Yep, what DDD says. My brother passed his test on an automatic (in Oz), now any time he's home he can't borrow one of the family's cars, and every time he goes into an airport hire place he has to line up with US tourists to be fleeced. Don't do it!

Clutch/gears are the most intimidating part of starting to drive, but within a few months you'll never notice them again. It's like bra fasteners, basically.

Old Tankie

As someone who can only drive a automatic car these days because of disability, I would strongly advise you not to limit your options.

Something Fishy

We took the same view with our son.

My wife now uses an automatic due to a bad knee but we encouraged him to learn on my manual to develop proper driving skills and broaden his options, so that's what he's been doing.

Something Fishy

I should say he's also doing manual lessons with an instructor so he gets the experience of petrol and diesel cars.

Grugz

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2016, 11:17:10 AM
Quote from: Grugz on 22 March, 2016, 10:37:31 AM
we can only hope!

I'm so pleased that I've gone to the effort of adopting a conciliatory tone and generally not making any reference to your complete fuck-wittery in the run-up to your previous flounce off the board.

Thanks a bunch.

Jim

:lol:

you're welcome james..you tosser.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 22 March, 2016, 08:31:44 PM
you're welcome james..you tosser.

What the actual fuck is your problem with me? I don't think I ever ran over your dog or fucked your wife, so what the hell is it with you? You were the one who had a massive dummy-spit, insisted that instead of just stopping posting like a normal human being that the mods should ban your old account, and then came back on claiming it was just stress and illness that made you act like a total fuckwit.

Despite some pretty fucking vile things thrown at me by you in your old identity, I was prepared to let that drop — I haven't mentioned any of that shit, and I've tried to be concilliatory and even sympathetic, and this is what you throw back at me?

Seriously... I know I have a bad rep with some members of this forum, but I have no fucking idea what you think justifies this animosity, and I would really like to know.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 March, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 March, 2016, 11:18:48 PM
My only problem with your "murder in the name of the food chain" speal... is it doesn't take into account other omnivorous or even carnivourous species. Are these organisms also evil, does the lion playing with it's pray know the torture it's inducing?

Oh but It does take account of it. Vegans and vegetarians aren't out in the wilderness trying to stop animals hunting each other - sad that any animal has to die - but I don't believe nature in itself is evil.

And we humans aren't exactly chasing down our prey like big cats are we?  We are breeding animals in industrial quantities for the sole purpose of slaughter - that's pretty much unnatural. 

But we've evolved enough that we can provide for ourselves without killing and/or cruelty. So why wouldn't we?

I don't do fish either.  I do my best not to kill insects - though some damage is inevitable. But we open windows to let flies out and make escape ladders to help spiders out of the bath etc. 

They are all CUTE. 

(Apparently spiders don't like chestnuts or mint - so if you have any areas you want to keep clear without killing then try those).

I understand that everybody does get very defensive when you ask these questions or suggest that there is another way of doing things.

The natural reaction is to try and "catch the vegan out" or find some exception that justifies the (and I'll use Richmond's favourite phrase here) cognitive dissonance applied to what the food on your plate actually involves.

I've seen several meat eaters today posting about how sickened they are of a video showing little chicks being coloured for Easter decorations etc.  One of our bosses at work posted about how his dogs and cats were part of the family and how much they meant to him and then gleefully describing the pulled pork barbie he had. 

Anyway, if there's anybody left not ignoring me by this point, get back to your bacon buttie discussions.  (But ketchup is an abomination - too sweet to be used in ANY sandwich regardless of filling).

I admire vegans to be honest and the more I think about it the less I can justify eating meat. The thought of going vegan is so daunting though - I just can't imagine the effect it would have socially and with my family. To be honest I'd feel bad if my mum had to try to fit in a vegan diet during Xmas festivities!
I did stop eating meat filled sandwiches at lunch though. I had a moment of revulsion when I thought about the number of chickens that must have to die to satisfy the M&S sandwich aisle. Now I choose the vegetarian ones or the salads.

Grugz

you seriously don't know? I have never done anything to you, it was you who instigated the whole nastiness against me...yeah ive posted silly things,ive said and done silly things in real life ,and I apologise to all for any mistakes or offense I may have caused 'cos I am human and do make mistakes...you are just a nasty ,condescending bully quick to call people fuckers cunts etc etc... I came on the boards to enjoy my interest in 2000ad and share with like minded folk...you yourself have flounced on a couple of occasions even declaring you weren't coming back ever! then you did...and fyi I have been and still am ill with depressive illness but things change and one of them is not letting bullies ruin my life...I think I know what your reffering to in my old life as mogzilla but I wasn't reffering anything of that directly to you or I could have been asking a "loaded question" just the discussion in general and everyone involved in it. its you that believe that everything must be about you...you are not the be all and end all of the board I will get on with anyone at anytime ,again yes ive messed up a few times but certainly not maliciously and as I'm not the only person on the board past present and future who get a gob full from you maybe you should be looking closer to home about who has the problem...

so please ,put me on ignore if you really can't get past your beef with me, i am and always will be willing and able to offer the dove carrying a shit load of olive branches are you man enough to accept them and stop being so difficult.?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 March, 2016, 01:29:39 PMInstructor has recommended i take an automatic course instead.
I was hopeless during my first few lessons. And by 'few', I mean 'dozen'. Don't go automatic. If necessary, switch instructor instead.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 22 March, 2016, 09:04:21 PM
  so please ,put me on ignore if you really can't get past your beef with me, i am and always will be willing and able to offer the dove carrying a shit load of olive branches are you man enough to accept them and stop being so difficult.?

As I've pointed out: I've done nothing but been conciliatory and even sympathetic towards you since you came back.

And, since you clearly don't remember: you accused me of being an apologist for paedophiles shortly before your massive flounce, something I'm fairly confident I've never done to you. Something for which you've certainly never apologised to me for, contrary to your claim.

So, stop playing the martyr. If one of us has had a olive branch in their hand since you came back, it's me. If you want to continue being mad at a person who -- based on your description above -- only exists in your head, then so be it, but don't make out that you're the injured party here.

Yes, I can be a bit sweary, but, you know what, I thought we were all adults and I'm certainly not the only poster here with a penchant for Anglo-Saxon vernacular. Do you have a problem with all of them, or just me?

However, I absolutely will not accept you claiming I'm a bully unless you can back that up. Link to some example of me bullying anyone on this forum. If by bullying you mean 'pointing out when someone is arguing from a position of ignorance', then I suggest you get a better dictionary, because the one you have contains some very odd definitions. If you mean actually bullying then back that up.

Jim

Old Tankie

Well I would have thought bringing someone's wife into the conversation is pretty nasty.

hippynumber1

I'd have thought this was a conversation best had in private...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 22 March, 2016, 09:39:37 PM
Well I would have thought bringing someone's wife into the conversation is pretty nasty.

What?! Obviously, I've never met Grugz/Mogzilla, obviously, I'm not talking about his actual wife. I wasn't talking about his actual dog, either. I don't know if even has a wife. Or a dog. If, by some bizarre cosmic irony, he has one, other, or both and it turns out I have either run over or fucked either of them, then I will, of course apologise without reservation or hesitation.

That unlikely circumstance notwithstanding, if you're so keen to take offence at what I type that you're incapable of recognising a simple rhetorical device, then it seems more likely that it's your perception of who you think I am that's the problem, rather than anything I'm actually typing.

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 22 March, 2016, 09:56:36 PM
I'd have thought this was a conversation best had in private...

Why? I wasn't insulted in private.

Jim

hippynumber1

I wasn't aware you were insulted at all until you mentioned it, Jim. I'm not having a go at you or Grugz but I always hate to see people 'airing their dirty laundry' in this way. It brings an enjoyable forum down to the level of Jeremy Kyle, it's embarrassing for those of us watching and, ultimately, makes the place look like a playground.