Main Menu

Who is voting Bad Company so low?

Started by paulvonscott, 09 January, 2002, 06:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

No, I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to know...

It has a low 4.6(?) rating so far.  Now, I know the first series was a classic and people have been moaning about it ever since but...

It's only two episodes in!  How can you tell if the series is going to be good?

Have you ever read any Bad Company before?

Does it seem old fashioned to you?

Does it make no sense?

Apart from the first question, I'm not trying to badger you (and boy do some of you need a good badgerin') I'm just geuninely curious.

Oh the chainsaw?  He warns me about folk lyin' to me, don't mind him.

PVS

Thread Zero

I loved all the series of Bad Company Paul.

I didn't think it was old fashioned. The second book did take a different approach. A bit more introspective and dark I felt. Certainly diffferent to the more conventional story telling style of most 2k strips.

Perhaps readers will need a few more weeks as you say to really get into it.

I just realised. 2k is out in the shops tomorrow. Or rather today now! Hooray!!!!
Now I know why having 2k in the Meg format is a seriously bad idea.

30 days to wait for each prog?

You got to be kidding! My thrill power craving would be too great.

scojo

paulvonscott

I wasn't so keen on series 2, but series 1 was a hard act to follow.  I think Protoid annoyed me most.  Also he should have died as he killed De Racine by snipping his head off, and he had blood that was toxic to all life forsm.  

Jeez I sound like an eight year old, but it's true!

I think Bad Company should be given its chance and I could happily see another few series, give it a chance to really develop, though this one may well be the last, there is always another war...

It means I'll be buying 2000AD tomorrow (today) anyway!

paulvonscott

GordonR

>It's only two episodes in! How can you tell if >the series is going to be good?

Which means it's now a third of its way through its run, being 6 episodes long. After taking in the first third of a book, movie or comic strip, I think you're entitled to make an initial judgement about whether you think it's maybe any good or not.

>Have you ever read any Bad Company before?

>Does it seem old fashioned to you?

>Does it make no sense?

You like classic thrill-power stories.  So do I, but to me this series of Bad Company (and I loved it when it started back in 1986-7) isn't classic or even old-fashioned.  It's downright antiquated, especially in the art department.

Take a look at those spaceships in the top panel of page 4.  They do indeed, as someone suggested, look as if they've been copied from the artwork on a 1970s packet of KP Spacers.  Nil Imagination Input.

Take a look at the pose Kano is striking on page 5.  Even Shaky Kane would probably be embarassed by this kind of shoddy 1960s Kirby knock-off lightbox job.

It's just very very poor, especially compared to the rest of the artwork in the prog.  Doddering OAPs Ewins and McCarthy get positively mugged by the young turk likes of Jock, Flint, Irving and Fraser.

Matt

I guess this is the problem with bringing back classic thrills. We've grown up and matured as an audience since reading the original series, so our expectations are different. Back in '86 I didn't give a toss about characterisation and plot development, I was more intrested in big guns and violence. Now I'm more demanding on the magazine I grew up with. It makes you think twice about demanding the return of classic series.

paulvonscott

I would really disagree with the 'matured as an audience. comment but I haven't got time as, at last, I have found a copy of prog 1273.  Hurrah!

Wood

Vote it artificially high. it works, you know.

Not that I've ever done that for a thrill I liked and everyone else hated.

Oh no, not me, no, never...

Trough

Is it you who's been voting for Necropolis then?

There's got to be some reason for it being so high up in the ratings.

Trough

Wood

Ah, no. That'll be because it's really good.

(actually, I don't remember voting for necropolis. I might have done)