Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I love that! Moody, atmospheric, a bit scary and those colour tones...

Colin YNWA

What a great example of why this Blog is great (again don't say this often enough, I take you for granted Pete, just lap up ya goodness one a week and then move on). The cover as seen on the Prog lacks so much of the detail the image Pete has does. Just look at the clouds behind Hammerstein.

Now for me, perversely the slightly darker Prog cover though it lacks the detail of the original actually work better. Why do I spout this nonsense you cry. Well I cover tones look more Swamp Thingie and mysterious, were as the original is so well rendered it immediately looks like Hammerstein covered in gloop.

Either way wonderful.

Pete Wells

Aye Colin, you make me feel dirty, especially when you make me wear the tutu...

Pete Wells

I'm still waiting on a clean version of the coloured version of this weeks' prog cover from Dylan, but Cliff's inks are too beautiful to go unseen. Head over to my blog to check out a beautifully moody image - or as moody as an image can get with a clown nose on it!

Pete Wells

From my sickbed, a typically fascinating, meticulous breakdown of this weeks' Dirty Frank cover by the wonderful D'Israeli. Four pages of notes and, get this, twenty images!!!

Warning, contains nudity!!!

Frank

Thanks, Pete; that was truly fascinating and packed with useful information for anyone wondering how to create something so beautiful, restrained and deceptively simple. Given the discussion of the unfortunate Alan Craddock this week, someone as talented as D'Israeli sharing the details of his working practices and thought processes should be essential reading for other artists and colourists.

Pete Wells

I always look forward to a blog post from D'Israeli. He always send pages and pages of notes and loads of images. He's ever so kind.

His covers always rule too!

It's ace having you on the board Sauchie. Your firefighting before the movie was astounding and I know Alex Garland was very grateful.

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 October, 2012, 07:03:00 PM
I always look forward to a blog post from D'Israeli. He always send pages and pages of notes and loads of images. He's ever so kind. His covers always rule too! It's ace having you on the board Sauchie. Your firefighting before the movie was astounding and I know Alex Garland was very grateful.

You are officially the nicest man in fandom, Pete.

COMMANDO FORCES

Colin YNWA

Arh damnit.

In my mind this cover was a really nice pastiche of an Alex Ross Superman cover. I can picture the image quite clearly in my head. Yellow(ish) background, Clark Kent loosing tie, having removed glasses with the other hand. I can see it, the pose, the angle is just like this and I really thought this cover was a play on that. So I read this week blog all intrigued to see what Matt Brooker thought of doing such tribute covers and... no reference.

Weird thinks I, so off I skip to the internet to find the image and compare and contrast and ...

...and of course I can find no reference to this picture I can so clearly see in my head... I think I must have made some sort of composite image in my mind of other Alex Ross covers (quite why I'd do that given my views on Alex Ross I just don't know!).

Just so you know though this is clearly a blatant swipe. Quite how Matt Brooker managed to get inside my head to swipe the image I dread to think. But its a swipe and reveals frankly quite sinister mental shenanigans on behalf of one of 2000ad's finest...

Pete Wells

Hmmmmmmmm interesting. I think he swiped the naked Frank picture out of my mind too...

CrazyFoxMachine

Pete Wells

That's you in 30 years Owen!

COMMANDO FORCES

Steve Green

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 October, 2012, 09:22:57 AM
Arh damnit.

In my mind this cover was a really nice pastiche of an Alex Ross Superman cover. I can picture the image quite clearly in my head. Yellow(ish) background, Clark Kent loosing tie, having removed glasses with the other hand. I can see it, the pose, the angle is just like this and I really thought this cover was a play on that. So I read this week blog all intrigued to see what Matt Brooker thought of doing such tribute covers and... no reference.

Weird thinks I, so off I skip to the internet to find the image and compare and contrast and ...

...and of course I can find no reference to this picture I can so clearly see in my head... I think I must have made some sort of composite image in my mind of other Alex Ross covers (quite why I'd do that given my views on Alex Ross I just don't know!).

Just so you know though this is clearly a blatant swipe. Quite how Matt Brooker managed to get inside my head to swipe the image I dread to think. But its a swipe and reveals frankly quite sinister mental shenanigans on behalf of one of 2000ad's finest...

You mean this?