Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Another vote for 'Little Miss Sunshine' which is fun throughout but best when the pageant is outraged with saucy dancing.

I went for some quality 1950s western action in Wagons West before seeing Michael Douglas wheeze about a bit in The Sentinel.

Wish I'd watched 'Little Miss Sunshine' again instead!

Link Prime

Some may say I'm a soulless husk, but I despised the twee & nausea inducing 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

Anyway...just saw Gallic medieval-supernatural-horror 'The Monk' (with the always mesmeric & watchable Vincent Cassel).
Pleasantly surprising stuff, and worth a re-watch immediately after the first viewing.

Richmond Clements

If you think Little Miss Sunshine is twee, then you obviously do not know what the word means.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 May, 2013, 09:32:37 AM
Some may say I'm a soulless husk, but I despised the twee & nausea inducing 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
Eh? Twee?  :|

Link Prime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 May, 2013, 09:39:06 AM
If you think Little Miss Sunshine is twee, then you obviously do not know what the word means.

I know perfectly well what the word means Richmond.

I'll throw a 'Meh' into my summarily dismissive opinion of the movie too!

JamesC

Isn't Little Miss Sunshine a girl's film?

radiator

One day I'm finally get round to having a little movie night triple bill of Sunshine, Little Miss Sunshine and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Classics all.

I think by 'twee' you might mean 'quirky' which is a fair enough criticism, but you can't really call a film that involves heroin use, death and attempted suicide 'twee'.

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 16 May, 2013, 01:45:55 PM
Sunshine, Little Miss Sunshine and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Classics all.

Totally agree, love all three films!

Richmond Clements

One day I'm finally get round to having a little movie night triple bill of Sunshine, Little Miss Sunshine and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Classics all.

I think by 'twee' you might mean 'quirky' which is a fair enough criticism, but you can't really call a film that involves heroin use, death and attempted suicide 'twee'.

Almost like he didn't know what the word means... ;-)
Saw Eternal Sunshine for the first time a few months ago - it is an astonishing movie, too. Sunshine... Not so much!

radiator

What are you? Some sort of twee girly boy? Sunshine is ace.

Link Prime

It was indeed quite forcibly quirky, but no; I meant 'Twee', as I found it mawkishly sentimental in places.
I also found it smug, severely over-hyped and more than a little hypocritical.

Have nothing bad to say about 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' or 'Sunshine' though!

Link Prime

sheldipez

Quote from: radiator on 16 May, 2013, 02:25:36 PM

One of my favourite movies full stop. Danny Boyle works magic in every genre he dips in.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sheldipez on 16 May, 2013, 02:46:46 PM

One of my favourite movies full stop. Danny Boyle works magic in every genre he dips in.

Oh it's a very entertaining movie, but has sun-sized plot holes that even I could not ignore!

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 16 May, 2013, 02:46:46 PM

Without doubt! Sunshine is an outstanding film, one of Boyle's best and very much near my top 10 sci-fi films. It's like a jalgemation of all the great sci-fi films; 2001, Alien and so on. And Boyle pulls it off brilliantly, hell I even love the head trippy ending!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie