Main Menu

Unable to post from a Copy and Paste from a Google Doc?

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 March, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Hi,

Just tried to post a copy and paste from a Google Doc onto a thread I've been posting on for a few months now.

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=49476.0

I've been able to make other posts in that thread this morning.

I've been able to do that fine up to this point and last did so Thursday last week 14/03/24. These are long posts but didn't exceed the character limit. Indeed this post has less embedded images and links than the normal  things I've been copy and pasting in.

I was wondering is there anything specific about the content of this Google Doc that has prevented me posting it?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/106G-isLZb4OPgsKyShJ5_2qnhCTqn74b-ktGyiuCsUY/edit?usp=sharing

Or has a change been made to try to prevent Spam etc?

When I try to post I get a 403 Forbidden error. I tried a work around of adding a placeholder post and doing both a 'Quick Edit' and a 'Modify' to add the content of the Google Doc in but when I tried that it just hung on a 'Loading' page and wouldn't load.

Curious as to why this might be???

Fortnight

Colin YNWA

Yeah 'Preview' worked fine. I always drop them in and do a final read through to catch as many errors last minute as possible. It was only when I clicked 'Post' (or 'Save' when I tried to modify) that I had an issue.

Weird?!?

Fortnight

Had a quick skim through the previous posts in the thread and, content wise the only thing you've never used before, as far as I can see, is bullet points. Can't see why that would throw a wobbly, unless there's also some non-ascii or control character in there somewhere.

The preview doesn't catch every quirk, I've noticed. My very first new thread I had to split into 5 posts because I hit the max character limit. Yet the preview showed all of it on one post.

Maybe it's just a timing thing and it'll work later.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fortnight on 18 March, 2024, 08:33:46 AMHad a quick skim through the previous posts in the thread and, content wise the only thing you've never used before, as far as I can see, is bullet points. Can't see why that would throw a wobbly, unless there's also some non-ascii or control character in there somewhere.

The preview doesn't catch every quirk, I've noticed. My very first new thread I had to split into 5 posts because I hit the max character limit. Yet the preview showed all of it on one post.

Maybe it's just a timing thing and it'll work later.

Actually that's a good point - I did edit the numbering back in as they don't carry through. I'll try to find some time later to edit them out of the original Doc.

Other than that I can try to copy to a plain text Word doc and paste from there to see if there's anything in the background that's not cool.

As you say though might be a timing thing. We'll see. Fingers crossed and all that.

IndigoPrime

It's not the formatting – or at least not just the formatting. It might just be too long. I can post just the end section to the admin area just fine, and also the bit before that. I can also post part of the piece and then edit in the rest. So you could try posting the first half, then doing a very quick edit and pasting in the rest. And if that doesn't work, just add the rest as a second post. Or I can admin edit in the rest. Or I can do the post for you. Let me know regardless.

Colin YNWA

Wayhey doing it in two chunks worked a treat (or just doing it later DAMN the tester in me wishes I'd tried again in one go again before doing that!)