Main Menu

Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 29 July, 2021, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Focus on telling us a story, how difficult can this be?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 30 July, 2021, 11:26:38 AMThis was definitely the case with that carcrash, Sherlock
Sherlock was an odd one. I'd argue it started really well, but it at some point vanished up its own arse and never recovered. Another good example of Moffat buying into his own sense of "aren't I clever?" rather than just telling a good story.

judgeurko

this will please all the vile scum fans who feel it necessary to respond to all of the bbc doctor who official twitter feed telling them how much they hate the show. Its just a tv ffs! Disgusting people.

IndigoPrime

Only temporarily. They'll hate whatever the show does next, despite probably having not actually watched it since 1983. See also: certain anti-2000 AD folks on social media who bang on about how terrible the Prog is, despite clearly having not gone near it in years.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 July, 2021, 02:15:55 PM
They'll hate whatever the show does next

I really, really hope that if they cast a man, they cast a black man. Partly because it's way past time, but mainly because I can't wait to see the contortions the "The Doctor should be a man" crowd go through to try and explain why they're all upset again without admitting to the obvious...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I hope it'll be a POC of some type, but I suspect we're going to see a youngish white bloke who's a relative unknown, and who'll play the role in a manner that attempts to recall David Tennant. I hope not. I also would very much like to see a female showrunner. That alone could shake things up a lot.

Daveycandlish

Adrian Lester as the Doc with Phoebe Waller-Bridge as showrunner?
I'd watch that.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I wouldn't rule out an older experienced actor as the Doctor this time. My left-field choice would be Alexander Siddig. He has already played a sci-fi doctor. Who better for a companion than Andrew Robinson?
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

In spite of Richard E. Grant being well in the money, as the kids say, appearing in a woeful Star Wars film and a half decent episode of an otherwise middling MCU show, the man has to his credit expressed genuine interest in giving his version of the Doctor another shot. In all but the sense of self respect it would be a step backwards for the chaps career but still, i'd love to see him be given a third second shot.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

At this point, the BBC assurances that the new team will be announced "in due course" is seeming very familiar. Did they get Alan Yentob to give that quote by any chance?

There's nobody being mentioned for prospective 'showrunner'- other than (excuse me, haha) JMS, and I think they were playing hideously safe as a result of panicking when they appointed Chibnall in the first place. Who looked at his previous work and thought he had the chops? It was a lazy hire, and it backfired.

As for the next Doctor. If they cast male, Whittaker will seem like a mistake to be quickly rectified (which, cards on the table, I think she was- ymmv) but they won't want to give that impression. If they cast white, that will be even more problematic. It will be a black or Asian woman. 

Sandra Oh (from Killing Eve and Gray's Anatomy). And she would be *brilliant*.

SBT

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

I don't think Whittaker was a mistake. What was a mistake was having a showrunner who decided it was more important to make a middle-aged white companion the only character on the show with real depth, and who turned the Doctor into a near bit-player in her own story, with muddled morals (to say the least) and where, after all this time, we still don't have a solid understanding of her motivations.

Whittaker was never the problem. The showrunner was. As for the next Doctor, there's no way in hell it will be a BAME woman. I find it vanishingly unlikely it will be a woman. There's a slim possibility it will be a BAME man, for another first; but I won't be shocked for them to revert to type.

The Monarch

I could say many things but nah Indigoprime summed it up pretty well Jodie unfortunatly suffered the colin baker curse. A decent doctor hamstrung by terrible show runners in colins case it was someone who wanted to be elsewhere and in jodies case well its chibnall