Main Menu

Take my metal limbs, and throw me at your planet...

Started by Rob Robotic, 29 July, 2009, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Robotic

Umm, yeah - ignore the title, it's been a long day!

Anyway, hello!

God, I really have been taken back! There I was, reading Death Ray, and I was hit by an article regarding 2000AD. It pointed out that there was to be a "jumping-on" issue soon and, much to my surprise, I got all excited - and vowed to rediscover a world I thought I had left behind a few years ago.

I hadn't totally left, I still bought the odd special looking issue, and I own The Best of 2000AD but really, I figured myself a grown-up, and comics shouldn't really be my thing - how wrong can one person be?

I was 11 or so when I picked up my first issue of 2000AD, and I had a lovely 5 year relationship with it. I remember getting told off in class for not standing when a teacher entered the room, all because I was engrossed in future thrills and spills. I made my own little binders, each issue placed lovingly within a plastic A4 wallet. I watched the Judge Dredd movie quite happily, not giving a damn back then how bad/wrong/mistaken it was. I loved it...

Alas, I grew up a little, got a job, found the pub, and forgot all about it. I bought the first issue in the year 2000, and have the 30th Birthday edition, and a couple of Megazines - but that's it... I know if I look in the loft then there will be hundreds of issues, but the loft has spiders!

So, why the sudden change? I miss it, I miss my weekly kick of action, my thrill at great art and epic stories, my grins at Tharg... all of it. I have, in the last two days, ordered Origins ('cause it looks and sounds great), The Hunting Party ('cause I think I remember it from the Progs) and Aliens ('cause it looks fun) and I intend to jump on again with issue 1650 - and y'know what? I can't wait.

Forgive me fans, for I have sinned - may I rejoin your planet?

Wow, that was a ramble - but never in my time of online fandom has one post felt so right. 2000AD - I salute (and have missed) you.

Thanks.

uncle fester

And with such a fine first post! Welcome on board.

locustsofdeath!

Kerrin

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

Hi Rob. You've picked a good time to start - the line up for 1650 looks set to be  fantastic.

Is it just me or are we seeing a lot of newcomers/returned lapsed readers lately? Can only be a good thing.

mygrimmbrother

Hey Rob, grab a cold beer and settle in for the long haul!

Rob Robotic

Hey, thanks you guys.

I must admit - that first post was a mix of nostalgia and a cold brew. Why is it that comics and beer work oh-so-well?

I'm looking forward to 1650. That's the real great thing about 2000AD - you can just jump on at any point. I've always been a bit behind on fandoms - take Harry Potter, Death Note, Twilight (I'm sorry!) and Classic Doctor Who (talk about catchin' up with that series!). I seem to arrive at the end of each new series/geeky love-in, and don't really have all the excitement of new books, episodes etc etc.

2000AD is so different in that respect. I know I may be a bit confused at first, but I do know the basis of a fair few characters, and I can just settle down and enjoy without worrying that I've hit the end of the series (if that makes any sense!). I'll always have the interweb, and forums, and Wiki (if the need becomes incredible!).

Reading The Best of 2000AD really made me love comics/graphic novels again. I adored the Harlem Heroes strip, and the Call Me Kenneth saga (could be good for the new movie, maybe?) and, I dunno - it's funny how things can just click like that. I guess with the release of more and more collected graphic novels, more and more people will go to the original source of said strips - that, in a roundabout way, is what I have gone through (I make it sound like an illness!).

Once again peeps, thanks for the welcome back.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rob Robotic on 29 July, 2009, 08:06:38 PM

No.

Only one punishment for traitors.

Silencers ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2009, 09:39:44 PM
Quote from: Rob Robotic on 29 July, 2009, 08:06:38 PM

No.

Only one punishment for traitors.

Silencers ...

I would have thought a simple round of penance would suffice. I'd imagine 10 Hail Thargs and a Rigellian Hotshot would do.

So yes there is a jumping on point coming up but there is also one a year in the end of year special, so if it tickles your fancy you can snag a stack of prog and catch up quite easily. Tharg has been doing a great job collecting older stories so if you like a series you can catch-up pretty easily.

With all these newcomers is it worth a welcome thread stickied to the top of this forum giving everyone the basics?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

eggonlegs

Kerrin

Quote from: Emperor on 29 July, 2009, 10:02:21 PMWith all these newcomers is it worth a welcome thread stickied to the top of this forum giving everyone the basics?

What did you have in mind Emp'.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 29 July, 2009, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 29 July, 2009, 10:02:21 PMWith all these newcomers is it worth a welcome thread stickied to the top of this forum giving everyone the basics?

What did you have in mind Emp'.

Links to Barney, the 2000AD shop and then when we know the line-up perhaps a little "and previously." I'm sure of there is a thread people can add suggestions or clarify anyone's questions and the first post could be updated to give a handy overview.

Of course, it could also be a more permanent feature but shoot for 1650 and take it from there.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 29 July, 2009, 10:02:21 PM

I would have thought a simple round of penance would suffice.

Fuckin' liberals.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kerrin

Quote from: Emperor on 29 July, 2009, 10:14:12 PMLinks to Barney, the 2000AD shop and then when we know the line-up perhaps a little "and previously." I'm sure of there is a thread people can add suggestions or clarify anyone's questions and the first post could be updated to give a handy overview.

Of course, it could also be a more permanent feature but shoot for 1650 and take it from there.

Good idea, why not stick a post in feature requests.