Main Menu

Why you should'nt be so "comicy" about the new film

Started by mogzilla, 01 August, 2011, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 04 August, 2011, 11:18:36 PMSame with Whalberg, I just think 'Marky Mark" from New Kids on the flippin Block when I see him.

I see him as Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights, his finest performance by a mile...or 14 inches.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 August, 2011, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 04 August, 2011, 11:18:36 PMSame with Whalberg, I just think 'Marky Mark" from New Kids on the flippin Block when I see him.

I see him as Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights, his finest performance by a mile...or 14 inches.

Also The Fighter, and The Departed.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 August, 2011, 11:40:46 PM

I haven't seen that so can't comment but I'm not saying he can't act.  It's more the association with being an ex pop star.

mogzilla

OI! can we keep this thread on topic and talk about ice cream? tsk,some people ::)

radiator

Marky Mark wasn't in NKOtB - that was his brother Donny Wahlberg, also an actor - he was in Ransom and Band of Brothers.

You clearly know nothing of early nineties boybands.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 04 August, 2011, 11:50:00 PM
Marky Mark wasn't in NKOtB - that was his brother Donny Wahlberg, also an actor - he was in Ransom and Band of Brothers.

You clearly know nothing of early nineties boybands.

ah...whereas you know only so much...Mark Wahlberg was one of the original members of NKOTB, he left before they released the first album.

JOE SOAP

ahh...whereas you know only so much...Mark Wahlberg was one of the original members of NKOTB, he left before they released the first album.
[/quote]

I, Cosh

I remember being very impressed with Marky Mark in the alright-but-not-that-great-really Corruptor. I also love I <3 Huckabees, but I'm aware that could be considered indulgent wank.
We never really die.

Mark Taylor

I heard Mark Wahlberg will play Judge Death in the Dredd sequel. His take on the character will be an outrageously effeminate evil gay super-fiend from another dimension and will sport a variety of outrageous costumes throughout the movie, including a gold spandex leotard and a rhinestone-encrusted leopard skin mankini.

But that's okay because we have to remember it's the movie version, not the comic.

Beaky Smoochies

That actually begs an interesting question- if Dredd is a success and a sequel gets the greenlight, and if Alex Garland and co. decide to feature Judge Death in it, who would (or, indeed, could) play the ghoulish super-fiend?  My best guesstimate would be a completely CG creation using an actor on-set with motion-capture to get the fluidity of movement, with Bruce Spence perfect as the actor to portray both the movement and the voice of Death- just check him out in the 'Mouth of Sauron' scene from The Return of the King, and tell me that's not Judge Death there, it's uncanny...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Fuzzed

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 06 August, 2011, 04:49:10 AM
... if Alex Garland and co. decide to feature Judge Death in it, who would (or, indeed, could) play the ghoulish super-fiend?  My best guesstimate would be a completely CG creation ...

I hope not. Even though I love LOTR and what they did with Gollum was amazing, the more I see CGI characters in films these days, the less I like it. There is the touch of unreality to it, an airbrushedness, and it just makes me twinge with discontent. Like with Tron Legacy, Tron and Clu.

But, taking your example of the Mouth of Sauron - if they just tweak the features on a real person, that could work. The Mouth was outstandingly freaky.

On the other hand, it could be interesting to see it done with just a normal-looking person, making the actor do all the work of providing the menace and, basically, just to see how they could adapt the character to fit reality-Dredd. Most of the fun for me in Nolan's Batman is seeing how he's re-imagined everything, but I do understand that it can be horrifying for other fans.

It's like how that new replica costume is sending a lot of fans into a swoon, whereas I'm waiting to swoon for the UrbanDredd costume replicas - I can definitely see myself swanning around feeling cool in urbandredd gear.

Different strokes, as always.

Goaty

JOE SOAP

mogzilla

doug jones ...abe,pan,paleman ,angel of death...the dude is born to play death!

Toni Scandella