Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Me, I'm put off by all the Tony Hart's Gallery Puff-the-Magic-Dragons, Warhammer 40k knock-offs, and tracings of Judge Anderson with tentacles for arms.

A pity, because there's a lot of good stuff on there too.
STRIKE !!!

HdE

Personally, I reckon Deviant Art is the tops for networking with other artists. It's absolutely true that there's a good whack of facebook style silliness that goes on there, and you do have to actively search for people who are actually WORTH networking with.

Overall, I'd recommend it. Even if you only set up a small little hub of watchers and friends. Heck, I gratefully receive any and all who want to peruse my page and comment.

G'waaan! Treat yerselves to a shiny new DA account! What's the worst that could happen?

(Uh... don't answer that...)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

Quote from: HdE on 19 February, 2010, 06:00:25 PM
, and you do have to actively search for people who are actually WORTH networking with.

I find i have to do that a lot in life anyway so its nothing new.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

staticgirl

Just recently I've noticed an increasing amount of professional artists on DA.

It does take a long time to filter out the crap though - there's a lot of kids on there but hey, live and let live.

I'm wondering if that art quote is supposed to mean if it looks like loads of effort was made then it isn't quite right as you are noticing the craft and not the art. If it looks effortless is it art?... maybe....

Still bobbins though.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: staticgirl on 25 February, 2010, 02:01:54 PM
Just recently I've noticed an increasing amount of professional artists on DA.

It does take a long time to filter out the crap though - there's a lot of kids on there but hey, live and let live.

I'm wondering if that art quote is supposed to mean if it looks like loads of effort was made then it isn't quite right as you are noticing the craft and not the art. If it looks effortless is it art?... maybe....

Still bobbins though.

I just gave up trying to deconstruct what that quote was meant to mean.I had a go but i had to stop as it was pointless.

It was the very fact that there was some very professional artwork on show that has changed my mind about DA.If there is more professional art on DA it should be easy to find because its probably going to be uploaded into the right categories.DA is a pain sometimes because it seems to take forever for a page to download.I just clicked on "Traditional Art" and i go to another website to finish typing a comment that is long and 10 minutes later its still buffering.Try again later i guess......

HdE

Still bobbins though.

That it is. In fact, for my money, it's the worst kind of pretentious crap anybody can spout.

There IS a huge problem on DA with clueless chuzzwozzers setting themselves up as critics, and voicing horribly undiplomatic opinions on work that was done by unskilled artists.

I blame all these shows like The X Factor and whatnot. They seem to push the idea that people are either naturally gifted at something from birth or they aren't, shouldn't even attempt it and are almost certainly stupid for trying.

Basically, DA's great if you can filter out the twonks.

Oh, and Simon Cowell is nowhere to be seen there. Works for me!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: HdE on 25 February, 2010, 04:14:47 PM

Still bobbins though.

That it is. In fact, for my money, it's the worst kind of pretentious crap anybody can spout.

There IS a huge problem on DA with clueless chuzzwozzers setting themselves up as critics, and voicing horribly undiplomatic opinions on work that was done by unskilled artists.

I blame all these shows like The X Factor and whatnot. They seem to push the idea that people are either naturally gifted at something from birth or they aren't, shouldn't even attempt it and are almost certainly stupid for trying.

Basically, DA's great if you can filter out the twonks.

Oh, and Simon Cowell is nowhere to be seen there. Works for me!

The thing that gets me about this quote isnt the quote itself because its just another bit of inane drivel and its unimportant but its why this pub feels the need to have two very large boards on the wall outside as if there is something important or life changing about it like its a proclamation and in this sense i find it irritating.

Funny enough the pub itself which is called the Grand Central bar i have never been inside this pub in the 15 years i have lived here as there is something uninviting about it.The pub has an upstairs theatre or arts venue which kind of explains the inane quote.

HdE

Whoopsie - I totally missed the fact that you were talking about the inscription on the pub! I was laying into the pretentious uber-student mankwater kids on DA!  :-[

staticgirl

chuzzwozzers

Love that insult!  I think 2000AD and its readership must be the most creative insulters and swearers since Shakespeare. :)

Mike Gloady

Having read your post, SG, I'm tempted to try and live up to it. 

Sadly the best *I* can come up with is "bumpiece" or "poo-eater" - hardly Shakespeare.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

HdE

Quote from: staticgirl on 28 February, 2010, 01:05:42 PM
chuzzwozzers

Love that insult!  I think 2000AD and its readership must be the most creative insulters and swearers since Shakespeare. :)

Sadly, I can't take credit for it. It comes from an old episode of The Simpsons.

Still, I do think we should see the term coined for broader use!

johnnystress

I don't see why not. It's a perfectly cromulent word

Gavin_Leahy_Block

You really know how to embiggen this thread, don't you.

TordelBack

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!