Main Menu

Out of curiosity....?

Started by Carlsborg Expert, 02 April, 2006, 04:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert

Sports comics don't see the light of day muchly near the Galaxies Glowing Orb, so I was fascinated of finding I and many others were exposed to football properganda when we were children. Not that they ever inspired you to pick a team, they were of course all charactor based.

Billys Boots and Hamish are quite adorable strips with many flaws mind.

Billy's Boots seemed to have ended up doing a stint in Eagle, (Click linky for stats.)

Billy's Boots

"Billy Dane found an ancient pair of football boots that used to belong to old-time soccer star "Dead-Shot" Keen. In some strange way, the boots enabled the boy to play in Dead-Shot's style. Billy played for local Radley Road Rovers and when the Rovers beat Billy's school team, Billy was ordered to turn out for his school team in future."

Radley Road Rovers was actually a road team. The writers involvment in his street team, providing him with the early background to Billy.

It all seem very street until you focus on the point that his boots are *magical* and then the picture slightly skews.

I didn't like Roy much but the Hamish and boots charactors were well sharp.A considerable amount of obscure comics are linked to them too, like Sun or Comet. If these names are familiar you might want to type in Roy of the Rovers on your google image index.

A mate of mine has turned his hand to writing a football song and the song hes chosen to orchestrate it with is very impressive. I kept telling the writers it was fried gold. Then I enjoyed explaining to them what FRIED GOLD means.

Link: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/billdane.htm" target="_blank">Billy's Boots, Billy's Boots.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:wjbKcTVo4MHe7M:www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/billdane.jpg">

shane05

Now by 'football', you mean 'soccer' right?;)

Floyd-the-k

that's almost certainly what CE means, Shane. Have there ever been any comics about what I call 'gridiron'?

House of Usher

No, by football, WE mean 'football'.
By soccer, YOU mean 'football'.
By football, YOU mean 'American football'; the New World version of rugby.

;)
STRIKE !!!

Carlsborg Expert

There is that point to bear in mind.That being  is there an American alternative to Scorcher?

And I quote:-
The heroes that have been handed down to us from hundreds of years ago.

Mythical/Historical category for which two thousand AD is also under.

But anyway back to the sport comics from across the pond. Let me at them beauties!

shane05

'That being is there an American alternative to Scorcher?'

I think the closest thing we've had, that I can remember was The Fridge had some team book I think. Then I seem to remember Malibu having something with an armoured football (gridiron, american football) player.

The new Shonen Jump coincidently has an ad, if they're not in the issue, for 5 sports titles.

critter

How could forget NFL Super-Pro from Marvel circa 1990

critter
http://www.newkadia.com/Covers/L/N/NFL%20SuperPro/nflsuperpro1.jpg">

Carlsborg Expert

There are fifties maglets a little like american sportsprints of interest.

Is not that how Buffy began?

Cheers Crit but I am looking for deferential '76-9 material.