Main Menu

Critics

Started by Carlsborg Expert, 27 April, 2006, 03:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert

Hi.

I know I'm shit at writing posts, least of all submitting my own.I spend a lot of time talking the crack with you people on 2000ad's official site and appreciate the sides you put to me. Because I tend to be floating around here most days when I am supposed to be doing "dig myself out of unemployment" work for the web I thought I may ask a few opinions on what you may see as a bizarre column.

Now Most of you a reviewers and have insight to critical appraisal. I would really be grateful if you offered opinions that may help me in my construction of a 3000 word review. Don't worry I am trawling the newspapers and TV/Internet for other points of view, but I am at the end of the day consistantly flicking through here getting in on the gutsy and the funny commentries 90% of the time, when I should be writing.

I am supposing the core question; " CRITICS: WHY DO WE NEED THEM?" will be based on the film and movie world critics. But watching "The Great British Meal" (on two at six) and seeing all sorts of reviews critiques inthe art/book and comic world, the running constant is; there are those for and against criticism.

(Fantastic as I write this I see my opening debate to be the "Critics" from viz as a light starter to the essay/column.)

Criticism is everywhere. Its use is constructive and destructive. It is part of certain starsigns charactor though that too could come under criticism.

As a main body of people I would like to see you points of view, anyway, too see how people understand critics, experts or just criticism as a whole.

In comics as writers as artist as doctors or general publics.

Thanks, I know this is a bit bold coming from me but I thought I may bring up a debate and help myself to some quotes for the column too. Quotes I have found, through interviewing intelligent aguers for or against.

Tony.

BrianO

In general I'm all for the idea of criticism where it's due, in order to help us learn from mistakes and improve in what ever we do.

The problem at the moment is that due to the way people are now famous for no reason, most critics are trying to outdo each other with whitisms and scathing remarks rather than just answering the questions, would I like it? or What can be done to improve it?

Still an improvement from when Street Fighter 2 came out on the SNES and every magazine gave it 97-100% meaning technically games peaked at that point in time, and aren't as good anymore. The fact that it was also one of the very first games on the SNES even sillier. of course there was room for improvement, programmers hadn't learnt the machine fully.

Sorry, just my tuppence worth.

Funt Solo

If criticism is accepted as opinion, then I'm on topic.

There was a memorable diversion in one of Iain M. Banks' books.  The setting was a colony spaceship, in which all but one of the thousands of crew were in suspended animation at any one time.  The lone person who was awake to monitor things changed in a set rotation - but they always got too lonely and ended up waking someone else up so that they'd have someone to speak to.

Anyway, the person who gets woken up refuses to engage in any discussion whatsoever, much to the chagrin of the person who woke him up.  He's baffled that, being essentially the only two people in their existance, the person he woke up won't talk to him, and so the subject is broached.

The retiscent conversationalist explains that there is no point whatsoever in any discussion.  He's already got his opinions on everything quite firmly fixed, and won't ever change them just because someone disagrees with him.  And therefore, discussion is just a useless noise.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert

Hi.Sorry about that preliminal post. I am trying to endear myself to your more sensitive & intellectual sides and being positively sloppy in my execution.

I know I'm shit at writing posts, least of all submitting my own.

I spend a lot of time talking the crack with you people on 2000ad's official site and appreciate the sides you put to me. Because I tend to be floating around here most days( when I am supposed to be doing "dig myself out of unemployment" work for the web) I thought I may ask a few opinions on what you may see as a bizarre column.

Now.Most of you are accurate reviewers and have insight to critical appraisal. I would really be grateful if you offered opinions that may help me in my construction of a 3000 word column.

Don't worry, I am trawling the newspapers and TV/Internet for other points of view but at the end of the day I am consistantly flicking through here where there is gutsy and the funny commentaries taking up 90% of writing time.

I am supposing the core question; " CRITICS: WHY DO WE NEED THEM?" will be based on the film and movie world critics.

Today I was watching "The Great British Meal" (on two at six) and seeing all sorts of critiques in the art/book and comic world everyday.

I see that the running constant is; there are those for and against criticism.

(Fantastic as I write this I see my opening debate to be the "Critics" from viz as a light starter to the essay/column.)

Criticism is everywhere.

Its use is constructive and destructive.

It is part of certain starsigns charactor (though that idealogy could also come under criticism).

As a main body of people, I respect that you all have a formal identity on what is criticism and what is not. Whereas, I only have an academic profile of a "Critic".

Thanks, I know this is a bit bold coming from me.

Tony.

Briano, what date do you think jarring sarcasm took over from professional expert input to someones work. 1800's, Plato's time?

Funt, fundamentally critics should not be adhered to, but ... payments are made and jobs are granted through the middlemania of criticism. How would the world be better without the word Critic?

Now theres a thing....

The Enigmatic Dr X

I thought the true meaning of "criticism" was to point out flaws in something with a view to having them improved, while a "review" was something that considered a finished thing and debated whether it was worthwhile.

Now, the meaning of the two seems to have swapped.

In addition, criticism seems to be a polite way of describing "rubbishing".
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Criticism can mean anything from an evaluation, critique, analysis, interpretation, classification or expression of disapproval.

"Review" and "criticism" can be treated as synonymous.

I guess it depends on context and perspective.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert

Aldous Huxley, Ezra Pound and Oscar Wilde were all employed to be critics.

What is it better to be, a writer who is a critic or the other way around?

This can apply to artists, illustrators, movie makers ..

And, should someone who is not able in that field actually be qualified to judge?

scutfink

Everything is subjective, therefore everyone is qualified to judge.

However, intelligent, informed criticism is obviously going to be more constructive to the person being critqued. (The critee?)

Noisybast

No, we don't need 'em. Noisy, chirpy insect buggers, rubbing their knees together all night long. Bastards, the lot of 'em...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Devons Daddy

a good critic,needs to be without predudice.

able wiegh up the whole and give knowledgeable insight.not personal thought.

food is subjective,but food critics tend to base it on there own values,rather then the values of the whole.
though decent chefs tend to be more honest and sometimes nasty,they do also put up the point of the texture,colours layers etc.
thats a good critic. a bad one is i dont like this so it sucks.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Carlsborg Expert

DD I don't mean to be funny but I just copyed that down as notation in my word and it was followed by all the correctional facilities under the sun:) courtesy of spelling and grammer.

I remember you sayin'....:)

Dog Deever

Creators hate critics, creators dont need critics, creators crave critics. Evaluation of your own work is highly desired, at the cost of opening yourself to hurtful flak from others. It can also be benificial.The problem is that 'friends' may just try to be nice and say it's great- to encourage you, which satisfies a low level of the craving. Higher levels must be satisfied with opinions 'holding authority', such as professionals, fellow wannabes, or critics. So critics- we don't need them, we certainly don't like them, but we WANT THEM. As long as they don't hurt us.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Max Kon

All The Critics Love U In New York

U can dance if U want 2 -- All the critics love U in New York
U don't have 2 keep the beat, they'll still think it's neat -- in New York
U can wear what U want 2, it doesn't matter -- in New York
U could cut off all your hair, I don't think they'd care -- in New York

All the critics love U in New York

Why U can play what U want 2 -- All the critics love U in New York
They won't say that u're naive if U play what U believe -- in New York
Purple love-amour is all u're headed 4 -- but don't show it
The reason that you're cool
is 'cuz you're from the old school, and they know it

All the critics love U, all the critics love U

It's time 4 a new direction
It's time 4 jazz 2 die
4th day of November
We need a purple high

Don't give up -- I'll still love U

body don't wanna quit, gotta get another hit

([fuck me over])

Whaddayou lookin' at, punk?
Look out all U hippies, U ain't as sharp as me
It ain't about the trippin', but the sexuality -- turn it up

U can dance if U want 2

(Yes, we're certain of it, he's definitely masturbating)

Take a bath, hippies!
New York
New York
New York
New York
New York

Devons Daddy

hi carlsberg.
i have adult dyslexia,the board has been aware of this for years. its no big thing. but i thought you would have noticed long ago.

the rest of the board is aware  my spelling is akin to PJ MAYBE,

i know where you live.sleep well :~)
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Dog Deever

Later on at night, all our spelling is like PJ Maybe's! }@
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.