Main Menu

The Thurso town got cult. Is yours?

Started by Carlsborg Expert, 07 December, 2006, 01:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misanthrope

I used to live in Wolverhampton which, in strontium dog, was a mutant ghetto. Nice to know nothing changes.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

DavidXBrunt

Teachers was set in Bristol as well wasn't it?

I, Cosh

We never really die.

House of Usher

James lives in Swansea, where they filmed 'Twin Town'.
STRIKE !!!

Trout

Bah! I eat anthrax for breakfast!

No, not the band.

- Trout

Dudley

I grew up in Clevedon, where they filmed the end bit of Remains of the Day.  The tree that grows sideways is a famous local landmark, and was present and correct.  But when they cut to the scene in the hotel, which quite clearly was in Weston-Super-Mare rather than Clevedon as advertised, there was a shocked muttering from the stalls like you have never heard... "It bain't Clevedon" "Tis another arial altogether" "Shame!"

Matt Timson

Leicester was featured in Murphy's law a while ago- but it was like no part of Leicester I've ever seen.  It was more like downtown Beirut.
Pffft...

damnandblast

"My favourite was the renaming of Christmas Steps (a thorough fare running into Bristol City Centre)"

Thoroughfare? It's only 6 ft wide and steep as hell. Is the joke shop still there at the bottom? Best plastic turds in Brizzle, that place. We used to go down from school and pick up the latest Freak Brothers and liquorice root from the hippy shop at the top, then stock up on the other essentials of a schoolboy's existence e.g. fart powder, fake blood etc.

Them were all fields etc. etc.

Nigel

Wils

It was more like downtown Beirut.

We're back to Corby again, aren't we? ;)

JeffreyMT

The joke shop is still there!

The hippy shop, Tarot iirc, alas is no longer there.
Replaced by a tattoo 'parlour'. That's progress for you...

Dudley

Anyone else know the "Knowhere Guide"?  Written by the bored teenagers are semi-literate escapees of your town, it gives you the real picture of what life is like for the inhabitants.

Link: http://www.knowhere.co.uk/415_goodbad.html" target="_blank">The truth about Thurso...

Proudhuff

My home town of Musselburgh gets a mention in 'The Great Escape'.

My adopted toon: Edinbra, has lots of 2k refs fi Cal Inc to my friends 'Edinburgh Exicutioners' in that Street Rollerball story in the early days..

The Chilren of Men story above reminds me of how useless the current season of Rebus is, He's standing at Rutland Place shout to his sidekick he needs a car to get to The Oxford Bar, in reality this is a Street away and going by car would take longer than crawling on your hands and knees... oh and all the Pub scenes are so obviously Glasgow pubs its insulting...

Parok-u Al Huff
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

I used to live in one of the more scabby areas of Glasgow. One morning leaving for work I was confronted by Jamsie & Rab from Rab C Nesbit. I lived in such a shithole they were using it as a double for Govan. It was the ep were Rabs brotherinlaw opens a square pie shop

Erm, and Sean in The Rock is from Glasgow.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Similarly, I had my 21st birthday party in the nightclub they go to in Trainspotting, which was demolidhed some years ago. I always wondered how Renton could afford a taxi back from Glasgow that night...
We never really die.

Carlsborg Expert

Are there not some great stories coming out there!

Floyd's mum's random decisicion meeting with destiny. Aww.

The dives and the good times in Bristol and Edinburgh and Glasgee. An insight into locals. Effin' A.

Of course the Cal Habbers and recent megazine editions of Young Mcnulty, have a lot to refer to in Scotland.

Did Armetige not do the same for jolly old blighty, perhaps?