Main Menu

The Thurso town got cult. Is yours?

Started by Carlsborg Expert, 07 December, 2006, 01:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert

Inspired by the mention from Letter of the Week AND the fact my town has been mentioned in GTA San Andreas;("This desert's as barren as Chorlton" or something) AND there is always a thread on lames to fame, is there any other posters who live in towns which have been given cult (or in the fullness of desperation a claim to fame) stasis?

I mean theres Cardiff for a start in Dr Who.

The list may be endless and it may end here. Must be loads of 2000ad references to areas local to readers.

Just curious too

I, Cosh

In shitty Bruce Willis remake The Jackal, the eponymous hero lies low in the Canadian town of Uphall Station. The real Uphall Station is a village just up the road from the director's hometown of Broxburn and only a few miles from my own family seat.
We never really die.

Buttonman

I grew up in the village of Stepps which was later imortalised, with slight alteration, by the great band whose hits include 'Tragedy' and 'A deeper shade of blue'.

Cthulouis

I live near the village in which Straw Dogs was filmed.

johnnystress

I'm from a place on the Donegal coast. Off the shore we can see Tory Island where Sláines enemy Balor used to hang out.

thats as close as I can get to a 2000ad reference

Albion

The village I work in was mentioned in Day of the Triffids a couple of weeks back.
"I know of a house on the South Downs that overlooks Pulborough".

Some of it is set around here and the village I grew up in, West Chiltington, has a road called Wyndham Lea named after John Wyndham.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Grant Goggans

Atlanta's Center for Disease Control, as seen in Snow/Tiger, is about ten miles from me..

Carlsborg Expert

Ooh a nice varied bunch of locations there tho.

The behind the scenes to Big Nothing was just on and most of it was filmed in Wales and the Isle of Wight (sp) . It is set in as North of America as possible though.

Any boarders from Baltimore?

I'm sure me and XB were talking about the island Magister is imprisoned on in Cabs... cannot remember the significance.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Carlsborg Expert

Ha, I know but I am glad you piped up any how, Ush.

Did Trout live near Anthrax  Island by any chance?

DavidXBrunt

He holidays on Smallpox island, I believe.

Floyd-the-k

Melbourne was the setting for the end of the world in the book and film of Neville Shut's "On the beach" (Ava Gardner, who spent most of her time here drinking and having it off with taxi drivers said it was the perfect location for a film about the end of the worl).  My mother saw the movie in London, felt homesick, came back and met my father

Bico

Brad Pitt namechecks my hometown as being where he was brought up in the film The Devil's Own.  He also described it as being "on the shores of the Loch", despite the nearest Loch being a half hour's journey - if it's a day with no traffic and you don't mind speeding.

Dounreay

Mind you, it's not just Thurso. Caithness name checks abound in the Galaxy's Greatest and the Megazine. Well, OK, Dounreay has popped up at least twice.

JeffreyMT

I live in Holby City, or Bristol as it's known in real life! One of the most amusing things about Casualty is how they rename local landmarks for the show, but keep them similar to the real names. My favourite was the renaming of Christmas Steps (a thorough fare running into Bristol City Centre) and calling it Easter Steps! Genius.

Also as featured in Afterlife, although they did actually name check it as Bristol although they took liberties with locations!