Main Menu

Adding RAM techy help

Started by johnnystress, 06 January, 2007, 06:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert

Yeah but too many times we think we should back off and let the normal umpa lumpas take it easy....

what do we get?

A waste of precious time fugging around with their lack of commitment to a job we could gladly do fifteen times better. And don't tell me I would not be able to continually follow the proceeders these poor ignorant fools have to put up with because I can tell you now, I can do that and enjoy it.

Fancy hating not spending more of your own electricity- you must be mad!

I can understand it if you got kids but you can always meet your lovers in bars or carparks. Anywhere but on the auld farm.

johnnystress

what the....

sorry, you lost me there mate

Carlsborg Expert

1985 mate.

Anthony Burgess. Read it. It's topical..

johnnystress

ah- i thought for a minute there you must be drunk...

ok, i will!!

I only heard about that book recently

Buttonman

As a former insurance claims investigater I often suspected people with obsolete hardware destroyed it with the intention of getting a replacement. Tales such as 'I spilled a drink down the back of it' and 'I was moving it to decorate when it fell over' were commonplace.

As there were never any witnesses it was usually paid in full especially as repairs were never possible due to an inavailability of parts.

Indeed I understand many insurers now just send out new kit on receipt of a claim as the now low prices don't warrent an expensive investigation. Unless it's your third or fourth claim of course.

johnnystress

Like Ned Flanders, I dont agree with insurance. I consider it a form of gambling

;)

Carlsborg Expert

Its on a par with Sirens of Titan... harumph..

£8 of wine influenced discussion forces banning kind of properganda.

TordelBack

Nice one Carlsborg, I like Burgess, but I'd never even heard of 1985.  The Wiki on it sounds fascinating - must get hold of that.

sixmo

johnnystress, check out http://www.marxcomputers.ie/ for some good value basic systems (you're based in Ireland, yes?). I've got plenty of bits off them down the years.

Large48

To help check RAM etc a good site that scans your PC (and doesn't seem to do any harm!) is www.crucial.com tells you slots and what is there and what can be used etc etc.

Worth a try
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

johnnystress

Cheers lads

i actually used crucial.com and brought the results to PC World- and they still got it wrong

but Im not too angry- they did refund my money with no hassle after all

I will definately check out marxcomputers

thanks for that

Marbles

its getting to the stage now when with the price of computers falling every day you are better off getting a new computer  than trying to upgrade an existing one - it can actually work out cheaper because of the economies of scale someone like Dell are working with.

You'd be better off spending £300 on a new PC I reckon. Might be worth holding off a month or so until you can get Windows Vista pre-installed.

Remember - dry hair is for squids

johnnystress

I think you're right

I use photoshop a lot and need lots of RAM

(Im only finding this out now! after 6 years!)

My machine can only have a max of 512MB-currently I have only 128MB of RAM! My motherboard simply cant be upgraded any further either.

Most artists seem to have at least 1MB of ram if they use painter or P.shop

So I'm going to give in and just buy a brand new machine- Im wondering iof this would be a good time to swap from a PC to a mac...

Buddy

Im wondering iof this would be a good time to swap from a PC to a mac...

No.

A PC will do exactly the same job a mac will at a fraction of the price.

'But Mac's are more reliable' I hear you say..

Not the ones I've been using... my laptop PC at home  gives me less trouble that the macs I use at work (they crash constantly!!)

Also tec help for a mac will cost a lot more than tec help for a PC, hell just read the right books and you should be able to sort most stuff out yourself.

'But macs arn't effected by the virus things'

Just keep up to date with the anti virus and firewall gubbins and you should be fine.

Remember to back up your work (which you should do anyway) and if the worst should happen then you shouldn't come off too bad.

johnnystress

ha- ok, youve convinced me ;)

a lot of artists/designers swear by macs

but as Im not familiar with them I couldnt say why

the main reason I'd stick with PCs is because my mates can get me software