Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Not for Star Wars the likes of Sensitive Klegg, eh?

---

Mind you, Stormtroopers have gone from being faceless automatons, slaved to evil and become a ... dance act at Disneyland?!

Weep! Weep into your cereal!

This cereal:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Very late to the party, but we (me and the boy and girl child) watched the first two episodes of this just now. Results are in:

Girl Child = Good
Boy Child = Very Good
Me = Very Good

Such fun and so far I like the way its structured. Looking forward to watching more.

Colin YNWA

Well we're all very bought into this now we have finsihed Season 1. There are a few - 'What huh?' moments, but its all such well done rollercoaster stuff that you let that slide, just as you do in the good Star Wars movies.

Was particularly fond of the opening scene with the Scout Troopers at the beginning of Episode 8, just wonderful scripting and we were all hooting with laugher when they started trying shoot the 'can'. This really is the spiritual sequel to the first 3 movies.

Looking forward to getting into Season 2 and hope Book of Boba Fett is as good.

Colin YNWA

Just popped back and read some of the thoughts here (been avoiding to stay spoiler free) about the first season (still avoiding anything after that) and surprised that some folks think it dipped in the middle. Really liked 'The Gunslinger' and 'The Prisoner' - I've notes 'The Gunslinger' seems unpopular (relatively) over in IMDB land. Think some of the bigger episodes can get a bit carried away action sequences and quite how kick ass characters can be when they need to.

Colin YNWA

Hmmm so watched the last episode of season 2 and well [spoiler]Luke[/spoiler] showing up was a bit naff wasn't it. The series was doing fine, even if the action continued to stretch credulity to breaking point. Then it had to go and do that.

Like it was so enamoured with its fan success it had to go the whole hog and scream AND WE'D HAVE DONE LAST JEDI BETTER TOO*! None of this character change and development for us! Look he's not even bothered to change in the six years since [spoiler]Return[/spoiler]. The series couldn't help but dig deeper and deeper into existing lore while overexcitedly ignoring the reason it was so good to start with was the fact it was being its own thing, while being centred in the Universe we love.

Silly Jon Favreau.

Mind it was still excellent breathless fun and I still enjoyed it... I was just annoyed that I still enjoyed it.

Silly YNWA.

* I'm a big fan of Last Jedi by the way.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 February, 2022, 09:14:35 PM
Hmmm so watched the last episode of season 2 and well [spoiler]Luke[/spoiler] showing up was a bit naff wasn't it. The series was doing fine, even if the action continued to stretch credulity to breaking point. Then it had to go and do that.

I'm with you on that. I was really enjoying the series right up to that point — I'd really like the entire SW universe to give up on the idea that the whole thing revolves around the [spoiler]Skywalker dynasty[/spoiler].

I mean, dammit, if Mace Windu* had turned up at that point, I'd have been punching the air with the best of them...

*Seriously... not canonically dead. If Darth Maul can come back after being literally chopped in half and dropped down a lift shaft, then I've got no problem accepting that Windu survived his mangling in Revenge of the Sith...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 February, 2022, 10:45:39 PM
I mean, dammit, if Mace Windu* had turned up at that point, I'd have been punching the air with the best of them...

*Seriously... not canonically dead. If Darth Maul can come back after being literally chopped in half and dropped down a lift shaft, then I've got no problem accepting that Windu survived his mangling in Revenge of the Sith...

Quote from: The last Star Wars movie
Somehow Palpatine returned
You may quote me on that.

Mardroid

Major Mando Spoilers! (I ain't tagging though!)

I didn't mind the Luke bit. Loved it in fact. I think if the characters had achieved little up to that point in the episode, it would have bothered me. For example, when Ahsoka turned up in an earlier episode, it really showcased how tough she was (a good thing in itself) but Mando did very little that episode.

Likewise when Fett and Shand turned up and were really tough hard-cases, Mando spent a good potion of that time unconscious!

Now I like those characters, and I enjoyed the episodes overall and I even enjoyed how tough they were. I get that they wanted to showcase those characters (spin-off central) but it  bugged me a bit how sidelined and ineffectual Mando seemed as a result.

In this last episode though, Mando single handedly takes out a dark trooper, by himself (a major feat considering how tough those things were shown to be) and then defeats Moff Gideon who is wielding a lightsaber... with a spear. It's a tough spear made out of near indestructible metal, but.... point is he'd achieved so much by the time Luke turned up to save the day. I guess it felt earned somehow, so Luke's bit didn't bother me.

That being said, if Windu had turned up instead, that would have been really cool, and I understand why oversaturation of Skywalker could be an issue. I don't think we're there yet in these series, though.

Trooper McFad

If they do things right in my book, Characters like Mando & Boba and their storylines would mean they could easily bump into or their paths would cross the likes of Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and possibly more from the clone wars but I would not want those others to over power any of the series they cameo in.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!