Main Menu

Prog 2223 - The Root Of All Evil

Started by Goosegash, 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

Thrills Of The Future is plugging the return of Lawless later in the year.

Dredd: Things are coming to a head for Chimpsky as he decides to tackle Zonny head on, and Dredd is on his way. Looks like that inevitable confrontation is coming sooner rather than later

3rillers: I've really enjoyed this as a light-hearted change of pace, there's a charming whimsy to the story which has somewhat absent in the prog of late. Whoever predicted last week the [spoiler]Robo-Vicar[/spoiler] would be the killer was spot on.

Thistlebone: Not a huge amount happens this week but I really love the choice of cartoon style for the flashback page.

Proteus Vex: The story wraps up with Vex discharged & disgraced, with a bit of story hook concerning the fate of Midnight. I'm guessing this will definitely be back.

Durham Red: Also concludes. This has been a real unexpected highlight for me over the last few months. Willsher's handling of the action has been superb and I feel like Worley has has added a degree of character believability to Red which other writers have struggled to do, even Abnett didn't manage to make her more than a generic wise-cracking badass. Hope we get more from this team sooner rather than later.

We also get a Star Scan of Red courtesy of Pris Bampoh which I really like, has a bit of a Full-Tilt Boogie vibe to it.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goosegash on 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

YESSSSSS!!!!!

Wilko10

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 March, 2021, 02:30:22 PM
Quote from: Goosegash on 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

YESSSSSS!!!!!

"It's the town that puts the 'DROKK' back into Badrock!"

Wilko10

I'll preface my review with this simple statement: What. A. Prog.

Dredd -- "Because they think ideas are dangerous?" It's thoughtful, entertaining and glazed in delightfully Dredd-ish bizarreness. I like seeing Chimpsky become increasingly more committed to making a positive difference in a world where tyranny and order are two sides of the same coin.

NAKKA of the S.T.A.R.S. -- Quite the lightness of touch to see Nakrosky balancing his work with village duties. Two entries into this 3RILLER, and it's progressing very nicely. Seeing Penny and Nakrosky investigate in their own unique ways was a clever contrast; one being personal, the other formal.

Thistlebone -- Suitably grim, with pagan themes befitting of its tone. Such an unexpected turn to introduce simplistic art for a flashback in the midst of Davis' detailed illustrations.

Proteus Vex -- I admittedly haven't been a fan of this series from Part 1 but, truth be told, credit where credit is due, this was an excellent conclusion. The writing was strong, the art forthright and its ending relatively ambiguous as to what happened to Midnight Indicating Shame. Maybe I should give this a second-read.

Durham Red -- Another fitting conclusion to what has been, for me, the Prog Highlight since its run began. So many understated moments, as well as strikingly simple art and a clear arc for characters like Sheriff and Red. Considering John Carpenter is my favourite director, Worley was absolutely spot on in making this an effective siege plot.

Prog Rating - 5/5

Barrington Boots

Lockdown ennui stopped me reviewing the last prog, but I'm catching up. Also my Prog arrived on Saturday! Wooo!
Lovely cover this week, simple and effective design.

Dredd - The little speech at the start about ideas.. are we building towards a Dredd / Chimpsky confrontation? I enjoy a Dredd where Dredd isn't the central character and I enjoy Chimpsky's more hopeful take on Dredd's world. That said, this is my least favourite Chimpsky outing to date - too much too soon, or just him being a little too good at everything? - so like a few others have said if Dredd doesn't kill him here then I'd prefer to see him move onto his own series. Lovely design on young Chimpsky btw.

NAKKA of the S.T.A.R.S. - Digging this 3riller. I appreciate the gentler pace and the 'Englishness' of it all. It's amusing without being too slapstick or cynical, great characters, cool designs, lovely art and colours. I think stuff like this has a real place in the prog and providing it sticks it's ending I'd like to see more of this.

Thistlebone - Moving at a glacial pace but enjoying this. Less creepy factor in this episode but the flashback nicely done with the art switch - this story is very welcome in my prog.

Proteus Vex - Superb conclusion to what has been an excellent run. Last week had all the action, this week has all the talking with a bit of a cliffhanger ending. Vex himself remains a bit of an enigma but that's not an issue - despite being mainly small scale shootouts, the series has a weighty feel with events seeming very significant because of the way they're framed in the context of a more realised universe. Art-wise I think Jake Lynch has more than stepped up. I really like this and I hope it's coming back.

Durham Red - Wraps up. I'm still not sold on 'regrettable-uncontrollable-bloodlust' Red - the concept works, but not the setup for me, because I can't understand why she'd put herself in situation where she can do such things unless she's a complete idiot. That said her actions at the end of this episode DO work in the context and things wrap up very nicely. On the flipside, not sure why the sherrif acted as he did because until she refuses his offer all I've mainly seen is a badass saving her own bacon, so he comes across as a bit of a bellend.
It might sound like I didn't like this, but I think this reboot is the best take on Durham Red since the original and overall it's been a great read. Full marks to Ben Willsher for his designs in this run which have been great and I loved floating brain lady. I hope this does come back, because for the first time I'd like to see what happens to the character next.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

My subscription copy landed and firstly what a striking cover.

Dredd remains brilliant as Naom takes action and Dredd closes in. Its all character, its all action, its all thrills and spills. Its all top stuff. Though my comments remain it would be great to see Chimpsky break out from Dredd after this, but until then let's just enjoy this.

3rillers is excellent stuff as well. Robots with wonky programming and summer fetas, what's not to love, especially when its all drawn by Brendan McCarthy.

Thistlebone is still sowing its seeds, but its doing it masterfully and slowly, slowly cranking up the tension. With explodes some what in that discovery on the final page, I suspect to just slowly, slowly crank up again next time.

Finally we get two ending, both of which end up with someone in prison and the tantalising prospect of seeing them both escape or be rescued in some future tale. Let's hope so as these are both exellent.

Proteus Vex weaves its ending with guile and smarts, after what's gone before we don't need an explosive ending, but this one is very smartand closes things while opening doors for next time. Christ let there be a next time this is a wonderful series and Jake Lynch - now he is JAKE LYNCH (see a self absorbed thread) has done a fantastic job stepping in where Henry Flint had been.

Durham Red hasn't quite done with the violence and beats its way to a conclusion, but it the more sanguine second half that real adds the impact. Its a fantastic ending to a great story and I look forward to seeing that comes next - I hope.

An interesting Star Scan of said Red wraps things up and wraps up a superb Prog. How can next weeks live up to this one - why by double Feral and Foe that's how.

Well done that Tharg... of thrill of the Prog - why just one panel of Lawless thank you very much. The rest my well have been quite brilliant but seeing Lawless on the way back top even this magnificence!

broodblik

Again I can say this was a good prog. Looking forward to the return of Feral & Foe next week.

Dredd – The action is heating up as we are heading for the eventually clash between Chimpsky and Dredd. Dredd is one of those strips where the main actor can have a more background appearance than taking centre stage. Interesting that Cookies "stole" the look of classic Flash.

Nakka – More investigations lead us to the point where the "real" killer is revealed. But is he? Next week the full truth will be revealed. This has certainly been one of the more enjoyable thrillers and Nakka would not look out of place with his own entry in the prog

Thistlebone – The plot is slowly moving forward revealing more layers upon layers. This is a great read with Davis art as always spot-on.

Vex – The finale is focus on story rather than action as more truths are exposed. The ending tells us that this is not the end (Carrol revealed in an interview that he will start working on the third arc – please let us not wait too long). I can even say that I enjoyed this series more than the first. I was sceptical of Lynch on art duties (Flint is a true master and one of my favourite modern artists) but his work complements the series wonderfully. More please Tharg, my top thrill of the year.

Red –  Was I entertained the last few weeks? A resounding Yes. Enjoyed this run of Red and a can say that this is certainly the best take on the character. Hopefully we will get more of the team.

5 stars

broodblik

As Chimpsky is heading for a conclusion next week (I saw a ad in the Meg for a new Dredd story starting in prog 2225) I see another remote possibility and that is that Dredd catches him but uses him as an informant or force him to join Wally Squad.

broodblik

From Pat Mills twitter feed:
Just editing Episode Ten of Slaine - the very last episode. Beautiful art by Leo. Rather poignant as it's St Patrick's Day.

Bolt-01

ooh, a very interesting thing there is that Pat is getting the opportunity to tweak the script following the arrival of the art! That (I believe) is the exception, rather than the norm.

broodblik

Apparently he has been doing this for the whole run and before as well

IndigoPrime

Just checked his Twitter feed for the first time in months and of course there's another gripe regarding rights.

Max Headroom

I guess Pat saying that episode ten of 'Dragontamer' will be "the very last episode" means that this really is the end of 'Web of Weird' and the end of Slaine. I for one will be quite sad - it's been a roller-coaster ride but overall one that I have enjoyed.