Main Menu

Dracula - BBC series

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 January, 2020, 06:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 January, 2020, 11:00:04 PM
And why have I never seen Dolly Wells before. She's on my watch list now.
The first time I saw Dolly Wells was on The IT Crowd. She played the model that Roy fancied at Jen's dinner party. Only she'd had an accident and her face was wrapped in bandages.

Proudhuff

Episode 3, was such a disappointment.  The first one re-wrote vampire myths and played with troupes, episode two what a nicely done country-house murder mystery at sea, but that third one was pants from the beginning: as with so much TV drama, this was horrible things happening to horrible people, so who cares? who are we rooting for here? not even the villain.
Episode 3 sagged so much in the middle with obvious padding and a fair bit or extraneous exposition, for elements that weren't central to the story, and the whole Foundation thing never made any sense, as did the insipid lawyer, WTF? We can have armed units and black choppers on Whitby beach but hey a halfarsed lawyer wanders into the inner sanctum and Dracula is out of there...
I fully expected 'love' to save the day as was the norm in Dr Who, and in a way it did here too, disappointing waste of a good set up, show and resources.   

DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 January, 2020, 03:05:42 PM
Episode 3, was such a pile of shite disappointment.  The first one re-wrote vampire myths and played with troupes, episode two what a nicely done country-house murder mystery at sea, but that third one was pants from the beginning: as with so much TV drama, this was horrible things happening to horrible people, so who cares? who are we rooting for here? not even the villain.
Episode 3 sagged so much in the middle with obvious padding and a fair bit or extraneous exposition, for elements that weren't central to the story, and the whole Foundation thing never made any sense, as did the insipid lawyer, WTF? We can have armed units and black choppers on Whitby beach but hey a halfarsed lawyer wanders into the inner sanctum and Dracula is out of there...
I fully expected 'love' to save the day as was the norm in Dr Who, and in a way it did here too, disappointing waste of a good set up, show and resources.

FTFY
Lock up your spoons!

Bolt-01

Once I realised that Moffat & Gattis just wanted to have fun and play with the setting I was happy enough to just go along for the ride. The more ludicrous it became the more I enjoyed it.

I think there were some pretty good moments in the show overall, and I thought that both Mr Bang and Ms Wells did a great job. Glad to see it finish though, at one point I thought they were going to set up for a second series.

pauljholden

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 January, 2020, 08:48:48 AM
Once I realised that Moffat & Gattis just wanted to have fun and play with the setting I was happy enough to just go along for the ride. The more ludicrous it became the more I enjoyed it.

I think there were some pretty good moments in the show overall, and I thought that both Mr Bang and Ms Wells did a great job. Glad to see it finish though, at one point I thought they were going to set up for a second series.

I dunno why you don't think there couldn't be a second series...
-PJ

JamesC

Quote from: pauljholden on 10 January, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 January, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

If they make a second series I hope someone exposes the film to sunlight.

I dunno why you don't think there couldn't be a second series...
-PJ

pauljholden

To be honest, my money is them on doing Frankenstein next.

ep 1 Victor Frankenstein at university (period gothic scifi piece) doomed love, creates monster "It's ALIVE!"
ep 2 opens on Monster on the boat, explaining the plot to - I dunno - the terrified crew who he's having to eat to stay alive, or something, oh no! Frankenstein is here, the monster chased off the edge of the boat into the arctic sea, to be lost forever!
ep 3 modern day fishing trawler, finds something in its net, etc.

-PJ

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 09 January, 2020, 06:21:23 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 January, 2020, 03:05:42 PM
Episode 3, was such a pile of shite disappointment.  The first one re-wrote vampire myths and played with troupes, episode two what a nicely done country-house murder mystery at sea, but that third one was pants from the beginning: as with so much TV drama, this was horrible things happening to horrible people, so who cares? who are we rooting for here? not even the villain.

FTFY

Thanks for that  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: pauljholden on 10 January, 2020, 02:46:30 PM
To be honest, my money is them on doing Frankenstein next.

ep 1 Victor Frankenstein at university (period gothic scifi piece) doomed love, creates monster "It's ALIVE!"
ep 2 opens on Monster on the boat, explaining the plot to - I dunno - the terrified crew who he's having to eat to stay alive, or something, oh no! Frankenstein is here, the monster chased off the edge of the boat into the arctic sea, to be lost forever!
ep 3 modern day fishing trawler, finds something in its net, etc.

-PJ

Well that's that sorted, lets go to the pub. ;)
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

The Mummy:

p1 ancient egypt, mummy entombed alive, cut to heroic 20s adventurers, reincartnated queen, open tomb
p2 the mummy explains plot to someone, turns out they're now entombed and the mummy and the reincarnated queen are together and oh no earthquake!
p3 mummy awake again, modern world! mobile phones, the power of love kills and or saves him.

Proudhuff

It must be my round by now...
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

M.I.K.

Dracula Series 2, Episode 1 (potential actual spoilers):

[spoiler]Agatha Van Helsing's DNA has replaced Zoe Van Helsing's cancery DNA, curing her/them of the condition and also immunising her/them against vampirism. Dracula turns out not to be as susceptible to cancery blood as he first thought, its fatal effects being another one of Big D's daft notions what he was totally wrong about and stuff. He is also shocked to discover that Zoe/Agatha is thus far un-undead, figures the answer must lie within familial DNA and decides to track down his living descendants to see if he can do what Jeff Goldblum couldn't do in The Fly. It all gets a bit Barnabas Collins.

Meanwhile, The Jonathan Harker Institute has got wind of the miraculous recovery of Ms. Van Helsing and attempts to track her down for experiments, but VH has taken off after Drac upon finding out what he's up to and no longer trusts the institute after discovering precisely who their mysterious donor is. Things go a bit David Banner/Richard Kimble.

The mysterious donor to the JH Institute turns out to be a character from the first series who everyone thought dead but is actually just undead and now has a bit of a grudge against Dracula, (probably Lord Ruthven 'cos he has money and a literary heritage).[/spoiler]

There. I think that's daft enough to be highly accurate.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo