Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - 3rd Place Play-off - Mike McMahon or Ron Smith

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 February, 2021, 06:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

AlexF

To answer JBC's question
QuoteBy the way, whose is the portrait just at Dredd's foot?  Just below the guy giving the finger, which is a great touch too.

based purely on the eyebrows I'm guessing Dan Dare?
(it's a truly random selection of characters - Rogue Trooper, Mongrol, Zenith, one of the Harlem Heroes)

Based on the chin, could this be how McMahon sees Dredd under the helmet?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: AlexF on 09 February, 2021, 09:58:59 AM
To answer JBC's question
QuoteBy the way, whose is the portrait just at Dredd's foot?  Just below the guy giving the finger, which is a great touch too.

based purely on the eyebrows I'm guessing Dan Dare?
(it's a truly random selection of characters - Rogue Trooper, Mongrol, Zenith, one of the Harlem Heroes)

Based on the chin, could this be how McMahon sees Dredd under the helmet?

Yep, think you're right - Dan Dare did cross my mind when I saw the zigzag eyebrows.  Hadn't even noticed Zenith before you said it!  Amazing stuff.

Which has got me thinking - imagine if McMahon had illustrated Zenith.  One of the best artist and one of the best strips, but they don't go together.  Like putting syrup on steak.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Almost there now and if you want to vote on this one get that vote in today as I'll count up in the morning and annouce our third placed droid.

I, Cosh

Mick McMahon is the better artist but I probably like Ron Smith more. Or liked. Think I appreciate McMahon's wildness more now than I did then. Hmm. Very difficult choice.
It's...
We never really die.

milstar

Definitely Ron Smith. His style reminds me on Brian Bolland, but has its own flavour. I don't like Mick. Too cartoonish and his earliest Dredd is almost unrecognizable.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well it was close, very close and both artists richly deserve the praise. In the end I do wonder if Mike McMahon's restless way of finding new and innovative way to reinvent his art cost him votes in the end? Or should we just focus on the dynamic angles, precision and character work of the magnificent

Ron Smith

clinched 3rd place. But damn there was some glorious art from both on display here.

broodblik

Both of them gave us some great stories over the years. Two great servants of the prog, both their careers must be celebrated by us all.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sixmo

Ha, it looks like I dithered too long trying to pick an artist in this one, or I voted and I've forgotten!

I think I would have picked Mick in the end, but these two have really defined our early 2000AD experience and it's fitting that Ron is up there near the top of the pile for all his amazing character work.

Rogue Judge

I voted Mick, but could have gone either way, still happy to see Ron pickup 3rd.