Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 10:46:37 PM
That's my point Joe. It's fucking tiresome. :lol:

Also my point.  That was overkill and obviously ridiculous.

vzzbux

How about four Judges are sent in space on a science mission and are exposed to cosmic rays....... Oh wait.
At least you have a johnny storm character. (Flame on (permanently))

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Beeks

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 15 February, 2012, 10:27:22 PM

In short as a lot of us are getting at anyway is the story could be streamlined in some ways and made to incorporate elements from other stories. But as a student of film I would never out right say that some things could not work, or are too much for the general audience to take.

The Death cult idea has always lurked in the background of Dredd but I think Death himself would physically have to manifest through some host at some stage to do the character justice rather than be a mere transient phantasm infecting the minds of the Mega-Cits. Manifesting the rest of the Dark Judges would be a struggle though.

Now this would be far more palatable

Maybe a Thugee type death cult in Mega City One

Giant statue of Death in an underground temple..maybe the leader of the cult has disfigured himself to look like the deity..possession etc etc..

I'm thinking Indiana Jones..Temple Of Doom haha
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

City of the Damned would be a weak choice. It's a hokey, superhero-style concept, a messy, convoluted and continuity-heavy narrative and a rather obscure, unpopular one at that. And it would require a massive budget.

Plus it takes Dredd out of his usual surroundings and setup. We'll barely get a glimpse of the city in the first film as it is.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 February, 2012, 10:05:56 PM
Watchmen, with it's crossover to pirate comics and its complimentary reading material ( autobiog excerpts, psychiatric reports, interveiws e.t.c.) is a clear case of strong-on-paper but emasculated on film.

That was my point.

Imagination and understanding are indeed magical properties but sometimes things are so bound in their original medium that even with the best will in the world they cannot translate.

Stating things like that is more or less saying that excellent 'unfilmable book' adaptations like L.A. Confidential, Lord of the Rings and many others don't exist and that more good cinematic adaptations can't. It's not true.

Seriously: America? Really? How would you do it?

Thee are a number of ways, the voice-over and structure are not impediments to the story working on-screen. Other elements about the political struggle and Dredd could be elaborated upon to heighten the drama, acting as counterpoints to the America story-line but as with any film it still relies on good acting, good script, good directing, good cinematography, good Editing etc.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 10:51:25 PM
City of the Damned would be a weak choice. It's a hokey, superhero-style concept, a messy, convoluted and continuity-heavy narrative and a rather obscure, unpopular one at that. And it would require a massive budget.

i think that was Wonky's point.  It has everything that people are asking for, and it's a mess that even bored its writers.  See also:  Judgement Day.

CYCLOPZ

QuoteStating things like that is more or less saying that excellent 'unfilmable book' adaptations like L.A. Confidential, Lord of the Rings and many others don't exist and that more good cinematic adaptations can't. It's not true.

Indeed

vzzbux

At least we got some decent art duties on Judgment Day and City of the Damned.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Grimmyx22

Posts at alt.2000ad. many apols... many drinkshhh... hic. soz

Grimmyx22

Feel a prick starting a page like that. How about- "Why the judges exist anyway?" and how this relates to a Judge Dredd movie? Surely this is the crux of the matter to an uninitiated (paying) moviegoer?

Cactus

Ok, this thread has doubled in size since I last read it. Has anything happened or are we all still just waiting for a teaser trailer?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

JOE SOAP

Gonk

I missed out from that list cloning and teleportation. Every fantasy trope is in "City of the Damned". It's an enjoyable read don't get me wrong Andersonshame. You'd be hard put to find a story with all those different elements in it.

Quote from: Grimmyx22 on 15 February, 2012, 11:13:45 PM
Feel a prick starting a page like that. How about- "Why the judges exist anyway?" and how this relates to a Judge Dredd movie? Surely this is the crux of the matter to an uninitiated (paying) moviegoer?

I think this is the premise of the new film grimmy. It demonstrates the need for iron justice in a predatory dangerous city. As far as I know! Roll on September. When are we going to see some more pictures/film clips?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Gonk

Quote from: Cactus on 15 February, 2012, 11:49:03 PM
Ok, this thread has doubled in size since I last read it. Has anything happened or are we all still just waiting for a teaser trailer?
Sure am goood buddy!
coming at a cinema near you soon

Grimmyx22

With baited breath- june/july? Genuinely pyschotic with expectation.