Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

I bloody love sugar puffs, me. Except i dont have the proper ones, but the morrisons cheaper knock-offs- 'salty queens' or whatever they're called.

Oh, and i feel i must clarify: i will see dredd- when it's less than a fiver in hmv or tesco. And i dont mean that snarkily- that's my criteria for buying anything these days. Seeing as im a comic-geek with a morbid fascination for movie adaptations, who will givany old shit a go just to see what they did to it, i do wonder though just how cheap Superman Returns, Elektra, Catwoman, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern have to get before i'll buy them seeing as i could pick them all up for one-fifty each (or five for a fiver) in town right now...

SBT

Professor Bear

Much as I hate Superman Returns, it actually has a lot to recommend it, it just goes out of its way to paint Superman as a stalker, date rapist, and deadbeat dad.  Based on your past form, SBT, I can see you enjoying Elektra, though: it's cheap and daft, but utterly single-minded, plus the 'making of' featurette is unintentionally hilarious when the actress playing the female antagonist - who is definitely not a truly terrible Typhoid Mary knock-off - opens her mouth to talk about her character.

COMMANDO FORCES

He'll be round my house to watch it on Blu-ray  ;)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 07:01:55 PM
Much as I hate Superman Returns, it actually has a lot to recommend it, it just goes out of its way to paint Superman as a stalker, date rapist, and deadbeat dad.

If all that was really in it, I'd watch it again. Though I must admit, in that excised Return to Krypton scene, I was rather thrown by Singer's direction as the camera tracked over Routh's splayed nylon arse-cheeks.

JOE SOAP

Dredd will be released Friday 7th September rather than the 21st in the UK.

http://www.filmdates.co.uk/films/2146-dredd/

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 April, 2012, 08:02:38 PM
Dredd will be released Friday 7th September rather than the 21st in the UK.

http://www.filmdates.co.uk/films/2146-dredd/

So we watch it before the Americans? And it come here soon than before!

Tiplodocus

QuoteA real Dredd film can never be a 12A

I think you could do it. Like I say, the violence is only one aspect of Dredd and is certainly not a MUST HAVE requirement for making a good Dredd story.  Kneecapping Jaywalkers is funny - it doesn't need the blood to make the joke work.

Also Bond also routinely mows down and inventively kills (then puns) dozens of bad guys (to death!) and he's hardly ever troubled the 15 rating ("License to Kill" aside - and that looks tame these days).

I'd rather have good inventive bloodless fights (end of Fellowship of the Ring) rather than exploding heads any day of the week. 

And that's not pandering to anybody - I genuinely don't think GORE and VIOLENCE are what has kept Dredd going all this time and certainly aren't what make John Wagner sit down at his typewriter everyday (but I'm prepared to be corrected on that).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2012, 08:27:31 PM
QuoteA real Dredd film can never be a 12A

I think you could do it.

but why should you need to?

There may be ways and means of hiding things but I don't ever remember the comic version of Dredd feeling the need to hide violence, shooting people -or the odd nudity- so why should the film be less explicit? The type of film you're talking about would be less violent that the Stallone film -also R-rated- and that wasn't particularly violent- less so than the comic even.

radiator

Bond, LoTR - they're not suitable comparisons imo - much more fantastical tonally.

I just think a Dredd film that reflects the subject matter with any degree of accuracy is going to be landed with a mature certificate no matter what. I agree that there are far more violent comics out there than Dredd (I don't actually think of Dredd as an especially violent comic), but I also just think there's something about the premise that isn't compatible with a PG/12A rated movie.

I'm intrigued to see what sort of tone they are going for with the new Robocop movie.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 25 April, 2012, 09:03:54 PMI'm intrigued to see what sort of tone they are going for with the new Robocop movie.

Probably going more for volume than tone.

Leigh S

Quote from: radiator on 25 April, 2012, 09:03:54 PM
Bond, LoTR - they're not suitable comparisons imo - much more fantastical tonally.

I just think a Dredd film that reflects the subject matter with any degree of accuracy is going to be landed with a mature certificate no matter what. I agree that there are far more violent comics out there than Dredd (I don't actually think of Dredd as an especially violent comic), but I also just think there's something about the premise that isn't compatible with a PG/12A rated movie.

I'm intrigued to see what sort of tone they are going for with the new Robocop movie.

Dredd is way more fantastical than Bond or LOTRs.  It isnt always, but on the whole, the setting is way out there - it has aliens, uglys, mutants, robots, crazes....     

I can see where youre coming from in terms of the subject matter, but it didnt overly trouble what was a kids comic with fairly strict and trigger happy managers for the first 10 years.  I suppose putting some of that onto the screen removes a layer of security, but I do wonder if this Dredd is for me.  I suppose it will have to pass a few tests - is Dredd the Dredd from the comic?  Is MegaCity recognisable?  Is it a good film in its own right even if none of the above apply?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 April, 2012, 09:14:34 PM
I can see where youre coming from in terms of the subject matter, but it didnt overly trouble what was a kids comic with fairly strict and trigger happy managers for the first 10 years.

I don't believe 80's comics and contemporary film censors are equivalent.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 April, 2012, 07:38:43 PM
Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 07:01:55 PM
Much as I hate Superman Returns, it actually has a lot to recommend it, it just goes out of its way to paint Superman as a stalker, date rapist, and deadbeat dad.

If all that was really in it, I'd watch it again. Though I must admit, in that excised Return to Krypton scene, I was rather thrown by Singer's direction as the camera tracked over Routh's splayed nylon arse-cheeks.

I have not seen this arse-ogling of which you speak, though may have to track it down in the name of science.  The rest is in there, though: Supes shags Lois, then wipes her memory of their sexual encounter and fucks off for five years while Lois finds herself pregnant but doesn't know how it happened.  Later Supes comes home and listens to Lois and her family (which he later breaks up) talking about him with his super-powers, then sneaks into her son's bedroom for some alone time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 09:24:58 PM

I have not seen this arse-ogling of which you speak, though may have to track it down in the name of science. 

Super-flue as 05:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L254X_Mt5YA

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 09:24:58 PM
Supes shags Lois, then wipes her memory of their sexual encounter and fucks off for five years while Lois finds herself pregnant but doesn't know how it happened.  Later Supes comes home and listens to Lois and her family (which he later breaks up) talking about him with his super-powers, then sneaks into her son's bedroom for some alone time.

Well, he isn't human.

Tiplodocus

Quotebut why should you need to?

I'm thinking it from the other angle: Why does a Dredd movie NEED to be a 15 or 18? Plenty of brilliant, brilliant parts of the comic aren't. It's not an essential element.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!