Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 May, 2012, 08:43:10 PM
I'd settle for anything which doesn't use that underexposed, blurry, shocker of a photo that was the first one to come out of the production.

I can't believe IMGlobal still have it on their site.

It's the 'grittiness' Steve, the grittiness. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it ended up being the poster.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 08:56:08 PM
It wouldn't be much more than that page so I don't see the effect of anything which was only a bit more than that. Plenty of films have those types of sites that are just one or two pages, I've never visited a single one or read them.

That all depends on what is planned in the next few months. All the promotion in the world didn't help Ghost Rider 2, Battleship or John Carter, whatever way it was put together, and they had millions to spend. First of all promotion needs to be done well if done at all and secondly, it's down to luck.

Nothing anyone could have said would've satisfied rumour mongering. Even the official statement that was released in response was met with suspicion so I don't see how anyone can really come back from that without spending money on trying to satiate people with content which wasn't ready. There were issues but none of us know what the source of the issue was and that, really, is it. It never raised its head again which suggests it wasn't anything that damaged the film.

If you cannot see the difference between those types of sites I'm sorry, can't help you.

So, what exactly are you arguing? Marketing doesn't matter if the movie is shit? Or bad marketing and/or bad luck might ruin any attempt no matter what the budget? Are you suggesting those are good reasons not to promote Dredd?

Steve's comment about the image at IMGlobal and only showing the finished movie to distributors in Cannes is exactly what I'm talking about. No official interviews at all, nothing. If you look at forums outside of 2000AD discussing Dredd a lot of people are wondering the same.

JOE SOAP

I'm talking about timing. It won't make a huge difference if the marketing starts now or 6 months ago. The only difference is money and how thinly you spread it. Once a trailer arrives anything that went before won't matter a jot.

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 26 May, 2012, 08:43:10 PM
I'd settle for anything which doesn't use that underexposed, blurry, shocker of a photo that was the first one to come out of the production.

I can't believe IMGlobal still have it on their site.

It's the 'grittiness' Steve, the grittiness. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it ended up being the poster.

I wouldn't go and see the fucking thing if they did that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 May, 2012, 09:23:17 PM
I wouldn't go and see the fucking thing if they did that.

WHat if there was a little blue van on it?

Steve Green

I'm not bothered about the van - As long as it was shot OK it could go on the poster.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 09:21:30 PM
I'm talking about timing. It won't make a huge difference if the marketing starts now or 6 months ago. The only difference is money and how thinly you spread it. Once a trailer arrives anything that went before won't matter a jot.

That must be why Peter Jackson is taking the time and effort to create clips, buzz and promo material for his Hobbit blog more than a year before the premiere and long before any trailer. Because that won't matter a jot.  ;)

JOE SOAP

It's all relative to budget and if you're seriously comparing Dredd to the Hobbit your economies of scale (concerning time and content) are way out of whack.

All anyone on any of the discussion fora ask when it comes to Dredd is "where's the trailer" cos that's what most people make a decision on regardless of what other web-based pamphleteering that goes on. After that is whatever poster looks best in the lobby of the cinema.

PreacherCain

I don't think The Hobbit and Dredd are in the same ballpark in the hierarchy of upcoming movies.

They've released a couple of shots and info and it's all been reported on the net and in mainstream film magazines. There's still 3 1/2 months until the film's release. We're expecting a trailer any day now and from the sounds of it, we will be getting one pretty soon.

I'm not sure a film like Dredd even bothers with stuff like teasers. I think perhaps some fans (myself included) have a tendency to conflate Dredd as some massive film in the same league as Batman or Avengers and the fact of the matter is, it isn't (even though I'm sure it deserves to be!)

We're still a couple of months away. I would assume any big-time marketing they have planned will be for closer to the film's release date.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 May, 2012, 10:30:45 PM
I don't think The Hobbit and Dredd are in the same ballpark in the hierarchy of upcoming movies.

They've released a couple of shots and info and it's all been reported on the net and in mainstream film magazines. There's still 3 1/2 months until the film's release. We're expecting a trailer any day now and from the sounds of it, we will be getting one pretty soon.

I'm not sure a film like Dredd even bothers with stuff like teasers. I think perhaps some fans (myself included) have a tendency to conflate Dredd as some massive film in the same league as Batman or Avengers and the fact of the matter is, it isn't (even though I'm sure it deserves to be!)

We're still a couple of months away. I would assume any big-time marketing they have planned will be for closer to the film's release date.

Of course it's not a reasonable comparison in that sense, hence the ;)

They could learn to do something at least. No promo/info at all is still unsettling. I do hope you're right that this is all part of a plan, even though it's quite unconventional.

JOE SOAP

I think we only see it as unconventional because we're use to seeing comic adaptations get big treatments when a lot of mid-budget films don't get that and that's what Dredd is.

I think things had actually started with last Spetember's Empire feature and marketing would've continued through to its release in the Spring -the release date as quoted in the article- but then the film was pushed back to the Autumn which meant any marketing would clash with the big Summer films and was too long to sustain, so they now wait til nearer the time of release.

PreacherCain

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 26 May, 2012, 10:49:36 PM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 May, 2012, 10:30:45 PM

They could learn to do something at least. No promo/info at all is still unsettling. I do hope you're right that this is all part of a plan, even though it's quite unconventional.

There has been some promo/info though. Dredd was on the cover of Empire not too long ago, if memory serves. Even the R rating got coverage from a lot of places.

I wouldn't say it's unconvential. I'd place Dredd in a similar place to the likes of the recent Chronicle of even The Punisher films (crap as they were).

chuffsteruk

I predict that,once this thread reaches 200 pages, news of a trailer will hit  ;)

Stan

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 26 May, 2012, 03:59:53 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dredd-2012-Movie-Fan-Page-for-Judge-Dredd/114524515346366 that one's still there.

I'm sure the title explains why. I saw one a week ago and couldn't tell wether it was supposed to be official or not. Even if they don't have their own page planned they may not want other people confusing matters, which is understandable. There may be a very thin line between marketing success and disaster for this one.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 May, 2012, 06:19:50 PM
Lucasfilm seem to have a fairly good relationship with the fan community

The same Lucasfilm that ignored then treated with utter contempt the literally millions of Star Wars  fans, myself included, who went to see at the cinema then bought on VHS the 'special edition' versions of the Trilogy, but when we simply wanted the choice to also watch the (superior) theatrical versions of said Trilogy, were spun the outright lies that "they no longer exist" (the original separation masters, usable prints, the 1993 Laserdisc masters, the 1995 remastered versions?) and then proved they clearly did by releasing sub-standard presentations of them on DVD in 2006, completely unremastered and non-anamorphic in presentation... THAT Lucasfilm, you mean?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.