Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 June, 2012, 09:27:40 AM
QuoteAnd screw that Empire review of Pro,felt like the guy had already made his mind up before hew saw it.

Yes, because certainly nobody has expressed an opinion, without seeing it, that this was going to be the movie of the year.
Me, I think he gave an opinion on the movie that you and others do not want to agree with.
Like I said,I'll make up my mind tomorrow because I gave up trusting Empire reviews years ago,I tend to read as many reviews as possible without spoilers and then take an average as to if I see it or not.HIs review seemed negative from the off,not balanced,that was my point.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Spaceghost

Some friends saw the midnight showing of Prometheus last night in Leeds.

There were some crap horror film trailers, Dark Knight Rises and Spider-Man (which apparently looks ace in 3D), but no Dredd.

The wait goes on...
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 01 June, 2012, 09:46:34 AM
I desperately want Dredd to the sleeper smash of the year

I don't have any desperate feelings regarding Dredd, I'd like it to be a decent stab at a Dredd film but I'm not looking for mass cultural acceptance or for a Hunger Games style sensation either. It's a 50/50 bet as to how it all works out but I don't get an overwhelming feeling of audience crossover appeal. We'll be served well if it's a good film.

Dredd's always been a grow-er rather than a show-er. It'll make its money globally which is the intended work model of IM Global -mid-budget niche films with a global appeal- so sequels don't necessarily wholely depend on a complete US box-office clean-up but a modest earning.

radiator

QuoteI don't have any desperate feelings regarding Dredd, I'd like it to be a decent stab at a Dredd film but I'm not looking for mass cultural acceptance or for a Hunger Games style sensation either. It's a 50/50 bet as to how it all works out but I don't get an overwhelming feeling of audience crossover appeal. We'll be served well if it's a good film.

Dredd's always been a grow-er rather than a show-er. It'll make its money globally which is the intended work model of IM Global -mid-budget niche films with a global appeal- so sequels don't necessarily wholely depend on a complete US box-office clean-up but a modest earning.

Oh, I very much agree - there's no realistic chance of Dredd being a huge mainstream success. What I'm saying is that I hope it exceeds (what are presumably relatively modest) expectations - critically and commercially.

I feel as if I have a stake in it because the fate of future 2000ad films - perhaps even the continued survival of 2000ad itself - are in part tied to how Dredd fares.

There's also the fact that - even in the face of what is arguably some pretty widespread negative buzz surrounding the whole project - I've been defiantly telling anyone who'll listen that I have faith that it's going to be good for several years. I can tell my friends - some of whom are Dredd fans - are somewhat sceptical and I'm going to look a bit silly if it does turn out to be a dud.  :-[

JOE SOAP

Be careful what you wish for.

Teivion

I am pretty sure some people here will leave the cinema after Dredd having that SW Ep1 feeling-  where it'll never live up to their own expectations.

Having seen The Raid I was pretty underwhelmed at how shallow it was, some great fight scenes yes, but little else I thought worthy of such high review ratings.

I trust the DNA team to produce a great film, and certainly one with a fair bit more meat than The Raid for the audience to get to grips with - and that alone fills me with hope.

radiator

QuoteI am pretty sure some people here will leave the cinema after Dredd having that SW Ep1 feeling-  where it'll never live up to their own expectations.

That was kind of my point - I think I'm being fairly realistic about my expectations of DREDD - I'm under no illusions about it, and though I haven't read the script I know enough about it to have serious concerns about certain aspects of it.

I guess I'm just hoping for an exciting, edgy film that we as Dredd fans can be proud of.

I enjoyed The Raid but agree that it - like Prometheus by the sounds of it - was the victim of it's own hype. Perhaps the negative buzz will work in DREDD's favour? Who knows.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Teivion on 01 June, 2012, 11:37:05 AM
I am pretty sure some people here will leave the cinema after Dredd having that SW Ep1 feeling-  where it'll never live up to their own expectations.

Can't imagine I'll ever have that feeling again. When I firat saw SWI, I was in holiday in Boston, I remember sitting in the theatre as the kids around me whooped and hollered -what strange rituals the colonies practice- and thinking jaysus, Lucas is not even trying.

Can't see that with Dredd, the impression I get is that people have at least been pulling out the stops and pulling favours to make a decent adaptation on a modest budget.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 01 June, 2012, 11:42:59 AM
I enjoyed The Raid but agree that it - like Prometheus by the sounds of it - was the victim of it's own hype. Perhaps the negative buzz will work in DREDD's favour? Who knows.

In fairness to the Raid it was never promoted as anything but a superlative martial arts/action film and on that promise alone it delivers in spades -on a budget 1/45th of Dredd- whereas delivering on promises seems not to be Prometheus' best feature, and at such expense.

radiator

I think the hype around The Raid was more from the audience side - blogs, websites etc. "BEST ACTION MOVIE IN DECADES!" etc. From what I'd heard I was expecting it to be one long action scene, but it's actually fairly slow in places.

JOE SOAP

I like its pacing, don't hink I could watch a film that was just one long action scene. If I''m expected to sit for 90-120 mins in a cinema I expect variety not monotony.

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 June, 2012, 11:47:23 AM

... I remember sitting in the theatre as the kids around me whooped and hollered -what strange rituals the colonies practice...

Ireland had colonies now?

JOE SOAP

D'ya think we sent air on famine ships?

darnmarr

Point taken: Boston's pretty well-stocked with son's of the ould sod.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Personally I thought the Raid stopped a little too much as well, I didn't like the constant swapping over between characters as it really disrupted the flow. Some fantastic action sequences, though that finally battle really began to frustrate me after a bit 10 minutes. Also, shaky cameras do my head in. I like action when it is smooth and you can see it.

Still a bloody great film, but I am confident Dredd will be better.