Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 01 June, 2012, 09:09:05 PM
Quote from: wadew1 on 01 June, 2012, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 01 June, 2012, 05:23:50 PM
When will 3D finally go away? (Magic eye pictures are a mystery to me also.)

Soon I hope.

Don't hold your breaths. It's here to stay this time. I don't mean to be negative but thinking it will go away is wishful thinking. Like it or not, it's more likely that 2D will go the way of monochrome and silent movies. To future generations it will be little more than a quaint, archaic curiosity.

Seriously? So anyone that needs glasses would be forced to wear a second pair? Exaggeration I suppose as it's only for those with one eye much worse but really? I do think/hope you're wrong.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JOE SOAP

2D's not going anywhere, it's still the predominant format.

Michaelvk

Fear not.. It'll be in regular ol' 2D. Effectively it means they only show one channel..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

QuoteDon't hold your breaths. It's here to stay this time. I don't mean to be negative but thinking it will go away is wishful thinking. Like it or not, it's more likely that 2D will go the way of monochrome and silent movies. To future generations it will be little more than a quaint, archaic curiosity.

Nah, can't see that happening any time soon - just look at the current backlash to 3d. The big studios and cinemas know it's running out of steam - and I've heard whispers of a plan to essentially split the difference on cinema admission prices for 3d and non-3d films to try and recoup the cost of upgrading to 3d screens.

I do think 3d has a future, but the tech needs to improve a hell of a lot. When we get to the stage of fully immersive, solid holographic, glasses-free 3d like (tri-d) films and games, sign me up.

JOE SOAP

Film-makers need to learn how to make films that suit the format before it ever has a chance of staying.

Misanthrope

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 June, 2012, 09:14:11 PM
Yeah! Bring back betamax!

Sod betamax, bring back the zoetrope!
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 June, 2012, 09:14:11 PM
Yeah! Bring back betamax!

Oh gosh, please no, Beta been so nightmare at my work! Even SX!

Danbo

99 days untill Dredds out...
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

dracula1

....and still grud all to see about it!  ::)

A.Cow

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 01 June, 2012, 02:19:14 PM
Just realised though that it is the same font used on that fan poster I posted recently.

No, it isn't.

Bloody hell -- with so many graphic designers on this forum I'm shocked that so few recognise Compacta Bold.

After all, it was only used for the original 2000 AD logo...

A.Cow

Quote from: A.Cow on 01 June, 2012, 11:56:27 PM
Bloody hell -- with so many graphic designers on this forum I'm shocked that so few recognise Compacta Bold.

Bugger.  Got it wrong.

Now I can see it on a proper screen (rather than my phone), the Fugutive Studios image is an altered version of Impact rather than Compacta.  The curves on the 'D' run the whole corner, and the 'E' definitely has the staggered top & middle alignments of Impact rather that the even ones of Compacta.

I'll get m'coat...

darnmarr

Easy mistake to make in fairness: speshly on a phone.

A.Cow

Quote from: darnmarr on 02 June, 2012, 12:35:11 AM
Easy mistake to make in fairness: speshly on a phone.

I'm still dying of bovine spongiform shame... WHY OH WHY NO EDIT FUNCTION???!!

PreacherCain

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 01 June, 2012, 09:09:05 PM
Don't hold your breaths. It's here to stay this time. I don't mean to be negative but thinking it will go away is wishful thinking. Like it or not, it's more likely that 2D will go the way of monochrome and silent movies. To future generations it will be little more than a quaint, archaic curiosity.

This made me laugh. 3D is, and has always been, a poorly-realised gimmick.

The only time I've thought it actually worked in a meaningful way was Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams or that Pina dancing film. 3D doesn't work for action films - and definitely not action films with the kind of today's preference for hyper-editing - or drama.

Film studios will responsd to the market. And the market is pretty much turning its back on 3D now that the novelty has worn off.

JOE SOAP

3D can work for action films if well choreographed scenes are used that utilise moving camerawork more and don't rely on fast editing for impact.