Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2012, 02:51:31 PM
Quote from: darnmarr on 19 June, 2012, 02:48:53 PM
I reckon what we're dealing with here is the 'anti-Prometheus' people.

Zeus...?

Eagles...?

Goaty

to be honest, darnmarr, you are negative person on this thread!

JOE SOAP

I honestly expect a less-than-impressive trailer,

Yes, that poster was rather unimpressive.

Bubba Zebill

I think it'll be just right...for the reasons I gave 50 odd pages back...and I can't bloody-well wait. (despite my attempt at nonchalance in those same posts). And...even if it were a balls up, bravo to them for trying.

Nobody on the outside can fathom the trouble and hurdles of film production, I take my hat off to many a bad film or performance simply because there is so much riding against the good, the nuanced. Subtlety and depth are trampled...so if it's even half-way decent Grud bless them. Same for the Minty people, bravo.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

darnmarr

Quote from: Goaty on 19 June, 2012, 02:53:55 PM
to be honest, darnmarr, you are negative person on this thread!
Better to be negative here on this thread, (where there is an army of enthusiasts to drown me out), than somewhere else populated by folk as don't understand the character, or who think of the Stallone movie when they hear 'Judge Dredd'. If it's okay with you guys I'd like to save my gushing positivity for other forums (where it's needed, just for balance) and air my few minor concerns here.

I honestly didn't think I was that negative.

darnmarr

And while I'm being 'negative':
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
I honestly expect a less-than-impressive trailer,
Yes, that poster was rather unimpressive.
It didn't blow me away Joe, as a stand-alone poster, I'd be lying if I said it did. It's effective at stating "Dark..different...nothing to do with Stallone" and that's its job, but the venus-de-milo of film posters it aint.

James Stacey

Quote from: darnmarr on 19 June, 2012, 03:15:22 PM
the venus-de-milo of film posters it aint.
You can see one of Dredds arms for a start.

darnmarr

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: darnmarr on 19 June, 2012, 03:15:22 PM
And while I'm being 'negative':
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
It didn't blow me away Joe

They have one shot at a poster. For me, I thought it more than did the job. Karl Urban isn't in shot - just the uniform. That was, I think, a really strong signal to the fans that this is NOT about the lead and all about the character.

TordelBack

Quote from: BOODA on 19 June, 2012, 03:20:30 PMKarl Urban isn't in shot - just the uniform. That was, I think, a really strong signal to the fans that this is NOT about the lead and all about the character.

Or even that the uniform is the character.

Bubba Zebill

Darnmarr, they could have gone so many ways, it's true. But this is a pretty good direction when you consider the damage to the name took with the previous film...and how few people know the character - and the budget they had. I think they made the best they could.

Imagine they went for a Drew Struzan type image with an oil of all the hyper-realist characters fading in and out, that would have been loved by fans but the people who don't know the story might be lost, and don't know the actors OR perhaps think it's that Stallone pish again.

If they'd gone action...again, I think people could be lost. With this poster they fade him in, emphasise uniform and the non-fan might be inclined to wonder who this is and why the figure is so threatening.
That's just my take...I think it's a doozy...this Venus de Milo is well armed.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2012, 02:51:31 PM
I reckon what we're dealing with here is the 'anti-Prometheus' people.

Zeus...?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was excellent.

JOE SOAP

and we still have Jock's poster to come.

Spikes

Oh, if only the trailer was released last thursday, when i had a day off work,  ;)

I dont often pop on this thread, as i wanna see Dredd in the piccies with as little fore-knowledge as possible, but thats great news int it. Summat very much to look forward too.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 04:13:53 PM
and we still have Jock's poster to come.

Whats happening with that- are we going to see just a few weeks prior to release?

Whats the best tip to get hold of a Dredd poster -ask the cinema manager for one when the films release ends ,perhaps?Any ideas?