Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syne

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 June, 2012, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 08:30:40 AM

Anyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

A lot of artists use a thicker outline around objects or characters in the foreground, to make them stand out more.  I remember Dillon and Bolland using it quite a bit.  Ron Smith would sometimes separate foreground with a white surround. However,  I don't recall seeing anyone else using Carlos's lumpy outline. It's a very individual technique - another reason why his art is so distinctive I guess!

Yeah, it's the lumps that make the difference, as Middenface would say

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 08:58:55 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 June, 2012, 08:55:59 AM

Anyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

A lot of artists use a thicker outline around objects or characters in the foreground, to make them stand out more.  I remember Dillon and Bolland using it quite a bit.  Ron Smith would sometimes separate foreground with a white surround. However,  I don't recall seeing anyone else using Carlos's lumpy outline. It's a very individual technique - another reason why his art is so distinctive I guess!

Yeah, it's the lumps that make the difference, as Middenface would say
It always reminded me of tractor treads...it's a very tough look. Never seen it anywhere before, I've looked..he does other things I see in continental comics...but I think the treads are his alone.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Glenn Broadway

I'm fairly sure I've seen Henry Flint do it recently - or was it in Incubus?

I also seem to remember McMahon doing it early on (in the days when they used to draw for each other).

I hate it.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 08:30:40 AMAnyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

I really missed it when Hector was inking his work; he did make an effort to reproduce it, but it always came off  a bit too smooth and even.  I'm another one that quickly learned to love it - gives his stuff real character.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Steve Green

There is another technique he used on his painted work which I loved - just not having a defined outline, to suggest the subject being out of focus or indistinct.

He used it a couple of times in Necropolis, but never really noticed him using it elsewhere - but it works so well.

Syne

Quote from: a chosen rider on 27 June, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 08:30:40 AMAnyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

I really missed it when Hector was inking his work; he did make an effort to reproduce it, but it always came off  a bit too smooth and even.  I'm another one that quickly learned to love it - gives his stuff real character.

I think it's a technique that works best in black and white anyway. Definitely doesn't quite fit with digital colouring.

Goaty

New feature in Empireonline, 10 Things You Need Know About Dredd

http://www.empireonline.com/features/10-things-dredd

Mike Carroll

Hmm... The first entry in the Empireonline list strongly indicates that the writer has no understanding of Dredd and I'm guessing she's never read a single Dredd story:
Quote"...he's a ruthless, murderous bastard."

-- Mike

Goaty

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 June, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
Hmm... The first entry in the Empireonline list strongly indicates that the writer has no understanding of Dredd and I'm guessing she's never read a single Dredd story:

-- Mike

well, he got very highest body count in the world....?

Buddy

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 27 June, 2012, 11:04:27 AM

I also seem to remember McMahon doing it early on (in the days when they used to draw for each other).

I hate it.

Early Colin MacNeil also used it.

Syne

Quote from: Buddy on 27 June, 2012, 01:53:49 PM

I hate it.

Ah! I'd forgotten that. He also tried to reproduce Ezquerra's style of page composition: lots of curved corners and frames flowing/intruding into each other. Do you know if he used it outside of his Strontium Dog strips though? I don't have all the progs from that period.

Stan

I've often wondered about the Ezguerra thing. I neither liked nor disliked it but as a lazy person it seemed like a lot of effort for little pay off.

The Empire article is decent overall though.

Steve Green

-- Mike

Tell that to East-Meg One...

Steve Green

Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 02:01:07 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 27 June, 2012, 01:53:49 PM

I hate it.

Ah! I'd forgotten that. He also tried to reproduce Ezquerra's style of page composition: lots of curved corners and frames flowing/intruding into each other. Do you know if he used it outside of his Strontium Dog strips though? I don't have all the progs from that period.

Not sure, Mick did it a couple of times in the early Dredds. It just seems to be an extension of using thicker lines on foreground detail, but Carlos really made it his own thing.

brendan1

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 June, 2012, 03:18:12 PM

-- Mike

Tell that to East-Meg One...

They fucking well deserved it. East-Meg scum.