Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 10 July, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
Has anyone played a role in a film series for so long? Bruce Willis is getting there with Die Hard..

Ignoring the four-movies-or-less lightweights like Harrison Ford...

• Clint Eastwood was Dirty Harry for 17 years (*cough* Judge Dredd *cough* Karl Urban's voice in Dredd) in 5 movies, although they got gradually worse.
  • Charles Bronson did Death Wish for 20 years and 5 movies.
  • Bruce Willis did John McClane for 25 years in 5 movies (fifth due 2013).
  • Stallone did 6 Rocky movies in 30 years.
  • But, technically speaking, I believe that Desmond Llewellyn holds the record at 17 Bond films spanning 36 years.

A.Cow

And, of course ...

Mel Blanc played Bugs Bunny for 51 years and Daffy Duck for 52 years in literally hundreds of cartoons shown on cinema screens (from Porky's Duck Hunt 1937 to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? in 1989), so surely that counts for something.

Stan

Even though Leonard Nimoy only made 7 films in 30 years I'd have to give him the award given the prominence of his character.

Plus if you factor in 4 seasons of TV's most famousest sci-fi show..

TordelBack

Quote from: Stan on 11 July, 2012, 12:27:12 AM

Actually 2 pilots and 3 seasons of the original, plus appearances in 2 seasons of Next Generation, and his 7 Trek films. 1966-2009.  That's 43 years as the same character.  Madness.

Diminished Responsibility

QuoteActually 2 pilots and 3 seasons of the original, plus appearances in 2 seasons of Next Generation, and his 7 Trek films. 1966-2009.  That's 43 years as the same character.  Madness.

Is it any wonder he's typecast? ;)
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

M.I.K.

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 July, 2012, 12:56:08 AM
Actually 2 pilots and 3 seasons of the original, plus appearances in 2 seasons of Next Generation, and his 7 Trek films. 1966-2009.  That's 43 years as the same character.  Madness.

Frank Welker's played Fred in Scooby Doo cartoons for the same amount of time.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 July, 2012, 10:39:04 PM
Though I would definitely like to see more then 3.

I wouldn't, however much I dig the big JD, it's rare enough to get a threequel that actually holds up to it's two predecessors, but there's never been a fourth installment of a franchise that was worth spit - Alien Resurrection and ...Kingdom of the Crystal Skull immediately spring to mind - if Dredd gets to three installments (and I certainly hope they do), you couldn't get more of a big finish than having a mortal existential threat from the Dark Judges, that's where it should end...

Quote from: A.Cow on 11 July, 2012, 12:07:29 AM

• Clint Eastwood was Dirty Harry for 17 years (*cough* Judge Dredd *cough* Karl Urban's voice in Dredd) in 5 movies, although they got gradually worse.
  • Charles Bronson did Death Wish for 20 years and 5 movies.
  • Bruce Willis did John McClane for 25 years in 5 movies (fifth due 2013).
  • Stallone did 6 Rocky movies in 30 years.
  • But, technically speaking, I believe that Desmond Llewellyn holds the record at 17 Bond films spanning 36 years.

And out of all of those sequels, the only ones worth talking about were Die Hard 2 (very nearly as good as the original, although I'm in a minority on that opinion), Die Hard With A Vengeance (where it should have ended), and Rocky 2 (nearly as good as the original), all the others, just forget it, the Bond movies notwithstanding...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Steve Green on 10 July, 2012, 02:09:15 PM
Regarding the likes of Javier - I always imagined that a Death would be more of a mime even if it was a practical actor - with primarily a voiceover, so it would all be in the body language, so much would be covered facially either by the helmet or prosthetics.

Or have actors perform in motion-capture and the Dark Judges be rendered as completely CG creations, they're supposed to be inhuman creatures of utter malevolence, having an actor in prosthetics would lessen the impact, no?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Stan

I like all four Rocky films equally but differently but I can't really think of any other franchise which hadn't completely nuked the fridge by that point.

Quote from: Stan on 11 July, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
Even though Leonard Nimoy only made 7 films in 30 years I'd have to give him the award given the prominence of his character.

Aaah, for whatever reason I had four series in mind. Karl better start the Bruce Forsyth Plan™ if he's to beat Nimoy.

Stan

Obviously I meant the first four Rocky films. I realise they released a fifth one in 2006. Which is also enjoyable in its own way. It just lacks that nostalgic feeling from seeing it as a bitter old man.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: A.Cow on 11 July, 2012, 12:21:11 AM
And, of course ...

Mel Blanc played Bugs Bunny for 51 years and Daffy Duck for 52 years in literally hundreds of cartoons shown on cinema screens (from Porky's Duck Hunt 1937 to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? in 1989), so surely that counts for something.

I'd like to have seen a Mel Blanc voiced Judge Death...or at least Walter.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 11 July, 2012, 03:30:18 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 10 July, 2012, 02:09:15 PM
Regarding the likes of Javier - I always imagined that a Death would be more of a mime even if it was a practical actor - with primarily a voiceover, so it would all be in the body language, so much would be covered facially either by the helmet or prosthetics.

Or have actors perform in motion-capture and the Dark Judges be rendered as completely CG creations, they're supposed to be inhuman creatures of utter malevolence, having an actor in prosthetics would lessen the impact, no?
Not CG...great tech but no matter how good I always that uncanny valley feeling ...but look at that clip I posted from the alien test - that is terrifying, it's grounded and real in a way CG rarely is. Nah, ye need a suit worker with great make up...perhaps some CG slime and ecto. But KNB effects and Javier ...and Mel Blancs son as the voice...and it would FREAK everybody out!
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

DeFuzzed

I agree with Beaky on the motion capture - a meatsuit job might just look too TOS Star Trek. Should be interesting to see what Weta does with Cumberbatch as Smaug. On the other hand, LOTR suits the unreality feeling from special effects, that airbrushed look, whereas for the grim realness that we're hoping for Dredd, that might just look completely wrong, BUT on the other hand again! - Dark Judges could suit a dose of unreality.

dweezil2

Anyone know what time the San Diego Comic Con screening is UK time?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green