Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 July, 2012, 06:02:42 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 04:37:54 PM
Also, a lesson for this forum, in that the marketing people behind this film DID know what they were doing.

Unfortunately in today's homogenised entertainment continuum many think there's only one way to skin a cat because that's what they're conditioned to react to, but this cat required a different type of skinning and it's working. Having a good film is half way there to selling itself, the rest is knowing what to do with it.

The marketing for this film was always a better idea closer to release especially now that it seems to be a 'surprise' to many people that it might actually be really good. The fact that it's managed to take some attention away from TDKR for a few days -a film that's had frequent bursts of advertising since last year- shows that stealth can be a better strategy when trying to get noticed.

I'd certainly concur that if you have a very limited marketing budget (which presumably they do for Dredd) it's probably best to splurge most of it on one big saturation campaign as close to the release date as you can reasonably get away with.

mejustnow

Just jumping in to say how truly excited I am with the mainly thoroughly positive reviews the Comicon screening is getting. Bad word of mouth would have killed it dead but these reviews seem like a massive shot in the arm. US box office will be what it will be, but I know that US genre fans have been bemoaning watered down violence and blue lanuage for years now.  I hope these reviews get additional bums on seats, followed by subsequent word of mouth.

I'm even more psyched now...if that were possible
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 05:39:03 PM...versus the general forum ranting that the team in place had no idea what it was doing.

In fairness, I think there was the full range of opinion on this, some of it well-argued and informed, rather than 'general forum ranting'.  I know negativity is always more visible, but I'm conscious that this forum frequently gets referred to as if it holds a single irrational opinion on everything, when that is usually very far from what I observe day-to-day.

That, of course, is in no small part due to the stringent anti-troll measures employed by Admin and Mods.

IndigoPrime

@Mark: Exactly. Also, the more you spend on marketing, the more you need to claw back at the box office. It's a balancing act. (Mind you, I suspect people forget how expensive even posters for cinemas worldwide can be—it all adds up.)

Looking around, I still think this is a bloody risky film for modern cinema, and the $50m target Garland set might be tricky to hit. However, it's also striking me as a film that could do very well indeed on shiny disc/download, if it doesn't manage to strike in the cinemas. Either way, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it now—well, in 2D at least.

Danbo

It will make a mint in DVD sales I bet.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

James

This is all great news. I've been telling anyone who'll listen to me for more than 30 seconds that the word is it's good and they can all stop worrying now.

I wonder if it'll get a biggish uk premier and how people like us can get in.

Also are we looking at a Christmas DVD/blu-ray release? What's the timeframe from cinema to home these days? I remember the days when it would be 18 months.

Spikes

So many reviews, so many pages!

Wow, this is great, int it. Glad its gone down a treat. And amongst non-Dredd fans as well!

radiator

Lionsgate traditionally spend less on marketing than other movie studios.

radiator

QuoteAlso are we looking at a Christmas DVD/blu-ray release?

Hopefully. The window is about three months these days.

karlurbaninternational

It would suck if the DVD and BluRay would already be available when half of the release countries still wait for the Cinema release. *remembers Scott Pilgrim*

karlurbaninternational

http://www.ew.com/ew/ will livestream an interview with the DREDD crew. *in around 3 hours*

HunterZolomon

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 05:39:03 PM
Note also that I'm not saying "job done", but that things have started well, and this is promising (versus the general forum ranting that the team in place had no idea what it was doing).

Cool, I agree with that  ;)

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 12 July, 2012, 06:52:49 PM
http://www.ew.com/ew/ will livestream an interview with the DREDD crew. *in around 3 hours*

Thanks for this ! :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Stan

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 12 July, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
@radiator: do not underestimate the hidden love of double-R movies and girls. "I" have to pull my guy to Dredd.

Yeah, but you're..[echo] one of us [/echo].

CraveNoir

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 12 July, 2012, 06:52:49 PM

Great!

Also, first part of the LFCC panel from Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kfxZXcXH0