Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: a chosen rider on 17 July, 2012, 07:10:24 PM
I think one advantage Dredd has is that it's relatively straightforward to pitch to audiences with zero interest in comics: "violent sci-fi cop movie" covers it pretty well, and ought to give people a solid idea of what they're  in for and whether it sounds like their thing.  Explaining what something like Watchmen is about and why you'd want to watch it if you're not into comics is a much harder sell.

That's a huge advantage Dredd has over the other movies mentioned, I would say. Simple core concept.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

MR. ELIMINATOR

Suppose box office is a bit unpredictable but with the lack of anything considerably bigger out the same time, plus the great reviews it should be able to open well, and if that happens then more people may go see it just out of curiosity.

Plus dvd/blu-ray they will make a killing.

My only confusion now is that I thought the early UK release was to help get buzz before hitting the USA but it seems they have already achieved that, so now it just seems like a big risk to have such a long gap in-between in case a good copy gets leaked. Which I really, really hope it doesn't.

Goaty

Okay, all re-actions on it been positives, so let it be the day of entertainment on your visit to see it at cinema in September! What the point in comments about it?

Steve Green

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 17 July, 2012, 07:33:33 PM
Suppose box office is a bit unpredictable but with the lack of anything considerably bigger out the same time, plus the great reviews it should be able to open well, and if that happens then more people may go see it just out of curiosity.

Plus dvd/blu-ray they will make a killing.

My only confusion now is that I thought the early UK release was to help get buzz before hitting the USA but it seems they have already achieved that, so now it just seems like a big risk to have such a long gap in-between in case a good copy gets leaked. Which I really, really hope it doesn't.

The 'good' copies tend to be more from screener DVDs than anything - I'm not sure what the potential damage from a camera copy is.

It is only two weeks difference - I wouldn't be bothered if they bumped it to the 21st over here, but I guess the schedules are pretty much locked down.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 17 July, 2012, 06:57:29 PM
Oh, come on - we all know that a film's quality/critical reception makes no odds to it's success or failure.

Dredd was clearly, undeniably one of the films of Comic Con - wouldn't have dared dream that even a couple of weeks ago. Even trying to be subjective, I'd say it's chances of success just went up significantly.

So which is it?

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 17 July, 2012, 06:57:29 PM
Oh, come on - we all know that a film's quality/critical reception makes no odds to it's success or failure. I thought Kick-Ass was tremendous and it got great reviews, but it really didn't do well at all. It is getting a sequel, but I believe that's because it ended up eventually making some money through the home market, and it's unclear if Lionsgate will be involved this time round. I'm getting a slight 'straight-to-DVD' vibe from KA2.

I am delighted about all this buzz and positive reviews though - Dredd was clearly, undeniably one of the films of Comic Con - wouldn't have dared dream that even a couple of weeks ago. Even trying to be subjective, I'd say it's chances of success just went up significantly.

Critical reception matters, particularly with something high-concept like Dredd. If it's well-reviewed in the likes of Variety, that brings it to the attention of people outside the fanbase who normally wouldn't bother with what looks like, at first glance, a lunkheaded low-budget b-movie sci-fi action movie.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Albion

A friend of mine is at a screening of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight tonight and he just sent me a message saying "The Dredd trailer looked much better on the big screen".

He is aware of Dredd but doesn't read the prog but it sounds like he likes the look of the movie.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Bubba Zebill

Took the wee fellas to Spiderman, traffic issues meant we missed the credits, I didn't mind...until now.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

CraveNoir

Goaty

DeFuzzed

That Dredd running pic - uniform looks fantastic in motion.

Constantine is easily the good one in my book. Loved what they did with the angels, the androgeny and the untouchable look, and that heavy sonic boomish whoosh thing with the wings. Fear and tension, felt it all in spades.

As for TDKR, I'm absolutely hyped for it. I'd happily sit through 2 hours to see what Tom Hardy does with Bane and to see what the big mystery is with Joseph G Levitt.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Great pics! Now, where is that comic-con poster thing in high res!!

PreacherCain

I'd love to see the Dredd trailer on the big screen but I just can't bring myself to shell out for the "new" Spider-Man film when it's a remake of a film that's barely ten years old. Lots of other decent films out at the moment for me to spend my time and money on.

I'll hopefully get a chance to go to The Dark Knight Rises this Saturday afternoon. It'll be my first time seeing a film in IMAX too so quite looking forward to it. Not sure if the Dredd trailer is showing before this but I'm hoping it is!

Hoagy

Who's the artist in charge of the tattoo designs?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Mudcrab

Yay, Judge Anderson and Avon Barksdale together at last  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!