Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge cooper

true, but when people say that it's true to the magazines, I expect to see the original suit
NAZI ZOMBIES!!!YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRGH

Richmond Clements

Quote from: judge cooper on 08 September, 2012, 11:21:06 AM
true, but when people say that it's true to the magazines, I expect to see the original suit

Well if you knew anything at all about the comic, you'd know it is.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judge cooper on 08 September, 2012, 11:21:06 AM

It is true to the uniform. Have a look at the earliest comics.

darnmarr

Well an argument could be made that, superficially, the Stallone film had a look that was more true to the bulk of the comics; and if that's really what's important to you, then you will no doubt prefer that film to this one.

darnmarr

and I think you're insane.

Steve Green

A lengthier take on it is...

It's more about the character than the costume for me.

As has just been pointed out the costume scale resembles early Dredd, and I particularly like the back protector and neck brace on the new version.

That said, I'm not against more outlandish costumes as long as it fits the rest of the world and it fits the character.

The Droogs in a Clockwork Orange look fucking ridiculous but you accept them.

IMHO it's incredibly blinkered to say *this is wrong* on either side, if you state that you junk everything that doesn't look outlandish, then you may as well chuck out the majority of designs for genre films, let alone historical films.

The argument could be made that the bit that sticks out as incongruous in their world is the helmet, because it's closest to the comic, but obviously that is the face of Dredd.

DeFuzzed

I can't believe we're back to this again.

.... wait, what am I saying? Of course I can believe it. Eighty, walking with a cane, I'll still be hearing it.

And I love the back protector detail. And another success of the film is in showing all that padding is completely necessary, and that's a helluva lot of armour and padding. Impressed how agile they all looked in it too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Something Fishy on 08 September, 2012, 10:35:19 AM
That's made my mind up actually.

Strong in this thread, the sense of entitlement is.

Hmmm!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CYCLOPZ

The Dredd 3d  uniform is much closer to the design of the comic than the stallone one ever was. A lot more of the detail is there including the correct colour green gloves and shoulder pads. Underneath the body armour there is a leather jacket just like the original design. The only thing that said 'Dredd' in the 90's version were the shoulder pads, and they didn't work for action.

Steve Green

Yeah, the new one is more about additions - all that's really *missing* is the chain, everything else is present.

Elbow pads (which the Stallone one didn't have), Leathers (ditto), closer colour scheme, very close helmet.

And I really like the eagle pad as a practical substitute.

junox

i was upset before the movie, but after watching it twice , Going out to see it again this afternoon  third time .. Im loving it !!  much more realistic Dredd (well done karl + costume ) but remember folks Dredd is just a tough biker , So thick leather with padding is essential
the only thing i think kneed's work is the helmet a fraction lower + smaller
knee and elbow pads and gloves could of been greener to stand out more

next movie i want to see much more bike work  more busts more real peds
we want chopper/america/ cursed earth/ ABC warriors/ flesh/ending in  dark judges for movie 3

most  enjoyable part ..when the  homeless guy gets squished ."Should of went to the cubes" like Dredd said    :lol:

Steve Green

Any spoilers in the review threads please.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2012, 11:59:22 AM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 08 September, 2012, 10:35:19 AM
That's made my mind up actually.

Strong in this thread, the sense of entitlement is.

Hmmm!

Jim

It's madness. Many of us have tried to explain but we're all banging our heads against a brick wall with it. I do think it's a real shame, Fishy has been a fan for a long time, I really hope he gets over it and doesn't ditch something he clearly loves just because of what seems like a bit of a knee-jerk tantrum to be honest.

JOE SOAP

If he clearly loves the comic why blame it for something it didn't do?

Keef Monkey