Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

or buy 2 pairs of glasses and swap the eye on one side to the lens on the other  so you have a pair of 2d 3d specs :)

JOE SOAP

Steve Green

There were a number of suggestions/questions but he seemed set on being pissed off about it.

It's only a film.

Teivion

He must have hated it when CD's replaced records.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Goaty on 12 September, 2012, 03:01:11 PMWhy does he do that, it's not film's fault, it the cinema!
Ish. Vue and Odeon have both told me 2D prints were not made available to them. No idea how much truth there is in that, mind. Still, given the positive response, even I'm now considering braving a 3D showing, although if it makes my brain explode I won't be too thrilled (and nor, I imagine, will by fellow movie-goers).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 September, 2012, 04:34:30 PMif it makes my brain explode I won't be too thrilled (and nor, I imagine, will by fellow movie-goers).

Are you kidding? They'll be spilling out of the cinema proclaiming they'd seen the best 3D ever!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 September, 2012, 04:34:30 PMif it makes my brain explode

Also, you may have mixed up watching 3D movies with microwaving your head. I'd watch out for that.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: HdE on 12 September, 2012, 04:31:56 AM
These questions beggar belief. Stallone is not, never was, and never conceivably COULD BE Dredd.

Now, I know that movie is not liked by most fans, and this isn't the topic on it, but I disagree quite a bit. I mean, anybody who likes Ron Smith Dredd, or much of the intentionally campy Dredd strips from the 70s and 80s, the ones where Dredd is pompous with chest puffed out... Stallone is perfect for that. His bombastic approach captured a lot about the comics for me (though the movie went in a different direction asap). His scowl and way of yelling actually makes sense with how Dredd is often drawn yelling mouth wide open with exclamation points. And yes, he played Judge Dredd, if only briefly, in one particular version. Just sayin'.

Urban is a better choice for the less talkative modern version of Dredd, for sure, but even he is doing one particular style that can't capture all of the comics. But of course, I can't wait to see it.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Michaelvk on 12 September, 2012, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: chuffsteruk on 12 September, 2012, 12:36:41 PM
This might make a certain person happy(and so it should!)

From Facebook:"Looking at the footage of the Lawgiver firing, and the action of the slide kicking back like that. Looks counterweighted; to reduce recoil somehow, perhaps?

Whoever designed that built one sweet gun."

You already have a disciple.

http://youtu.be/SA4-YM7GLZs

CYCLOPZ

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 12 September, 2012, 04:50:48 PM
Quote from: HdE on 12 September, 2012, 04:31:56 AM
These questions beggar belief. Stallone is not, never was, and never conceivably COULD BE Dredd.

Now, I know that movie is not liked by most fans, and this isn't the topic on it, but I disagree quite a bit. I mean, anybody who likes Ron Smith Dredd, or much of the intentionally campy Dredd strips from the 70s and 80s, the ones where Dredd is pompous with chest puffed out... Stallone is perfect for that. His bombastic approach captured a lot about the comics for me (though the movie went in a different direction asap). His scowl and way of yelling actually makes sense with how Dredd is often drawn yelling mouth wide open with exclamation points. And yes, he played Judge Dredd, if only briefly, in one particular version. Just sayin'.

The most unfortunate thing being that anytime Stallone opened his mouth his speech impediment and wonky lip made anything authoritive look and sound comical.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 September, 2012, 04:59:18 PM
The most unfortunate thing being that anytime Stallone opened his mouth his speech impediment and wonky lip made anything authoritive look and sound comical.

While I disagree that Stallone's can't be taken seriously, he's given good performances, Dredd himself in the comics was often portrayed very similarly.

Goaty

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 12 September, 2012, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 September, 2012, 04:59:18 PM

While I disagree that Stallone's can't be taken seriously, he's given good performances, Dredd himself in the comics was often portrayed very similarly.

No.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Goaty on 12 September, 2012, 05:11:21 PMNo.

Yes. What makes you say so? It's always odd to me that some fans think there is only one particular "right" zone for Dredd. When you take a look at all the different styles of stories with all the different art styles, there is so much. A lot of Dredd is cartoony where Dredd is indeed supposed to look silly. Is this news?