Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 March, 2013, 12:56:22 PM
Quite. Many people have complained for years about the gradual dumbing down of action movies, and the way they're overtly sanitised, to make them palatable for kids. They've been screaming out for something smart, tight, edgy, action-packed and entertaining. Dredd comes along and they're not interested and go and see Looper and Resident Evil instead, largely ending up split on the former and inevitably disappointed in the latter. Both movies make a shed-load of cash, and Dredd bombs. Now they're all "man, I wish I'd gone to see it" and "why won't those idiots make a sequel?" Well, probably because the box office take was miserable and even with subsequent strong rental/home market sales, no-one in their right mind would risk a second theatrical effort. It also puts a spanner in the works for anyone considering any kind of similar movie.

I think it's mainly middle-aged fans who complain about the 'dumbing' or toning down of genre pictures - they remember the 70's/80's - as in those with families or lives that distract them from activities like going to the cinema by themselves. You can take the family, or even a date, to Avengers and the Dark Knight, you can't take them to Dredd. R-rated sci-fi action films are the new Western - they won't die but there'll be fewer and aimed at an older audience. It's very hard to gauge just how many are saying: "man, I wish I'd gone to see it" and "why won't those idiots make a sequel?" and also how many new fans were old enough to see Dredd at the cinema. Sometimes that's just how things are and certain films fall between stools. Humans - older ones especially - are shallow, fickle creatures, and even though they say things like "man, I wish I'd gone to see it", given another oppurtuinity they may do exactly the same.

As for Dredd's box-office putting a spanner in the works, I wouldn't be so sure:

http://collider.com/deadpool-movie-details-rhett-reese-paul-wernick/

Of course it's a different ball-game with the Yanks and their own characters where there'll always be an interest.

Unless Dredd maintains its current trajectory and manages to build an audience, it will go back to being a relatively anonymous foreign property ignored by the industry that's too busy looking for the next crossover thing instead.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 27 March, 2013, 02:51:57 PMEven if I'd never heard of Judge Dredd, the word of mouth on the film, the comparisons to John Carpenter/District 9, and the fact that DNA/Garland were involved would have been more than enough to convince me to go see it opening day.
[/quote]

Likewise, but I feel we're a small audience within a larger mass labelled the 'nerd'.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 March, 2013, 03:05:35 PM
that's too busy looking for the next crossover thing instead.

Maybe we'll see a Dredd crossover?  :D

Dredd vs. 28 Days later zombies.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 March, 2013, 03:05:35 PMYou can take the family, or even a date, to Avengers and the Dark Knight
Perhaps that's it. Depressing, though, that, as ever, it's fine to normalise many, many deaths, as long as we don't show any relatively realistic ramifications. I don't mind that so much in something like Star Wars (which is ultimately a movie for children), but it's a bit rich when you're heading into gritty and supposedly realistic territory that Dark Knight lives in. All those people died? At least there was no blood! PHEW!

JOE SOAP

This is how you get sequels made while losing money: create a cult ideology (Objectivism/Randism) that is highly attractive to rich evangelical capitalists who think it explains and justifies their greed -

John Aglialoro (born November 27, 1943) is an American businessman and film producer. He has been profiled by Forbes and Fortune magazines and was praised in a Forbes blog post. On April 15, 2011, the film version of Atlas Shrugged, Part 1, premiered in 299 selected cities throughout the United States. After almost two decades and several attempts to persuade studios, Aglialoro launched Atlas into production independently through Atlas Productions, LLC.

Atlas Shrugged Pt. 1 - cost $20 million and made $4million at the box-office - % of which is taken by theatres.

Atlas Shrugged Pt. 2 - cost $10 million and made $3 million at the box-office - % of which is taken by theatres.

Atlas Shrugged Pt. 3 - in pre-production.

Admirable.

For a group of people so dedicated to capitalism, they don't know how it works.

IAMTHESYSTEM

It's Ayn Rand Joe.

She knows we little people just can't appreciate the sacrifice of our Social superiors. Being despised by the mob is a status symbol for these Alpha types. The fact that their dirge to the Superman went unappreciated by the great unwashed merely confirms in their own minds the 'rightness' [see what I did there!] of their Film.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

Oh bloody hell like we don't hear enough of Rand's corporate fucking cheerleading via the media.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tiplodocus

I suupose it depends what you are looking out for.

I knew feck all about District 9 and saw no advertising for it until it appeared on a 3 box set I bought with Knowing and Moon (both of which I had heard about and seen advertising for)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 March, 2013, 12:28:48 PM
A Titan trip for the marketing people?

That's harsh. After all, they could only work with what they got and what they got was a pretty niche product.  i.e. science fiction, no marquee name stars, no marquee name director/producer, violent and gory, 18 rated, no real traction from comic (except in UK), baggage from previous film, no face to put on posters, dark humour, grim setting, no splashy visuals...

Some of those were things that could not be altered but I'm pretty sure it wasn't marketing that made all of the decisions and each one could have had an effect on Box Office.

Harsh but fair  ;) Unless it was their first day on the job they couldn't blame hindsight either.

Science fiction is mainstream now, Karl Urban and Lana Headley are hardly unknowns, Alex Garland should have been highlighted more with his credits, Saw was violent and gory, distance wasn't made from the previous film with better trailers, it had great faces to put on alternate posters,especially Anderson, it had some great dark humour and I would say 'spectacular visuals' which could have been trailed to far better effect.
This list goes on, 3D in the film name, lack of an internet campaign, no big Premier here or in the US.
Okay lack of funds was a small partial excuse, lets say 19years on Titan  :|

Stan

Isn't the minimum 20?

AUTOMATIC FAIL

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Stan on 27 March, 2013, 09:46:16 PM
Isn't the minimum 20?

AUTOMATIC FAIL

Now that is harsh, I was giving them a year off.Mheh maybe your right a hard 20 it is  ;) :D

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 March, 2013, 08:44:37 PM
It's Ayn Rand Joe.

She knows we little people just can't appreciate the sacrifice of our Social superiors. Being despised by the mob is a status symbol for these Alpha types. The fact that their dirge to the Superman went unappreciated by the great unwashed merely confirms in their own minds the 'rightness' [see what I did there!] of their Film.

It's not her I'm worried about, it's the idiots who can't think for themselves or see the flaws along with the pertinent things in her work.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/atlas-shrugged-part-3-hit-431005

JOE SOAP

shaolin_monkey

junox

a little light relief
-----------------------
found this little video montage online Dredd 3D and Judge Minty   
GOD   anderson is soooo Sexy     (((WATCH IT))))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0ZgxrAeZc

:o