Main Menu

Star Wars: Andor

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 September, 2022, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I've settled into the pace of this now and am really enjoying it.

Slow? Abso-fecking-lutely. Star Wars? Barely.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 October, 2022, 11:19:28 PM
Star Wars? Barely.

I think that's this show's greatest strength. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away is a cool setting, it's nice to see stuff outside of Jedis, skywalkers and stormtroopers. So far we've just seen the odd TIE fighter at a distance and it works really well. I just like stories that focus on small cogs in a big machine.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

To that end, it's taking spoofs like Star Wars Undercover Boss, Darth Vader in Love or (most pertinently, and not really a spoof) Death Star Contractors and running with it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Absolutely - I think that's why I'm enjoying it.

But I wouldn't want all Star Wars to be like this. I want most of the content to be about space wizards. You know, for kids!

Tiplodocus

The Eye: Absolute corker of an episode. Very well played out heist with gorgeous visuals and pacing and twists.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Did anyone else get GTAV vibes from the soundtrack during the heist?
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Really good episode again this week, I thought. A change of pace from last week's heist, but tense, exciting, with lots of plot in motion. Plus, as always, it looks fantastic.

I really like this take on expanding the Star Wars universe — it's not telling us how Han Solo got his gun, or who built C-3PO. Instead, like Rogue One, it's filling in a whole layer of stuff that meaningfully informs the universe — it's showing us how the crushing, bureaucratic fascism of the Empire came to the critical point of rebellion, and it manages to feel desperately relevant right now.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, the hives of scum and villainy were always the most interesting part of Star Wars for me, even as a kid, the first time around. The grimy back alleys full of crooks and spies, the bars awash with smugglers and pirates, many of whom were weird-ass aliens — that was always the Star Wars that excited me, far more than the dynastic space wizard stuff.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Got to agree with Jim here. I'm properly enjoying this series, it feels like Star Wars for grown-ups.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

wedgeski

This series is just the best thing ever. I can't say enough good things about it.

Trooper McFad

Really enjoying this - even the slow start I was engaged.

I love the building of ambition of characters from the empire slant who will they stamp on to get to where they want.

Hope this runs a couple of seasons to build on the line in Rogue One "we've all done things we're not proud of ..." just before jetting off to get the Death Star plans and ultimate end
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 20 October, 2022, 10:04:03 AM
Hope this runs a couple of seasons to build on the line in Rogue One "we've all done things we're not proud of ..." just before jetting off to get the Death Star plans and ultimate end

I'm sure it was announced as three seasons, each one jumping forward a little in time until the last season pretty much directly leads into Rogue One.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

The careful placement of characters, each with their own problems; the hints at who may be connected in unexpected ways; politics everywhere, from family to friends to bureaucrats changing the destiny of an entire planet just to score points over one another. And it looks amazing, to a level that the previous TV series have only intermittently managed. To someone disappointed with Kenobi, this is a dizzying bounce-back.

Funt Solo

I thought Rogue One was the best Star Wars feature since Jedi. And now this is the best series - although I've got a lot of time for The Mando.

Uh-oh - this means it's time to re-watch the Vader hallway scene.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Yeah that was cracking. So many great things going on. I was never a big fan of the bounty hunter and smuggler stuff myself but this is pushing the right buttons for me.

I don't reckon George thought through any of this when writing Star Wars... It was all fairy princesses, evil knights, good farmboys and kindly wizards.

That they have reverse engineered something like Andor out of it (when most of the other movies and shows just go for more of the same)  is just great.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 10:05:27 AM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 20 October, 2022, 10:04:03 AM

I'm sure it was announced as three seasons, each one jumping forward a little in time until the last season pretty much directly leads into Rogue One.

Andor will have 2 seasons. It was originally 5.