Spoilers > Prog

Prog 2243 – Terror From The Deep

<< < (2/4) > >>

IndigoPrime:

--- Quote from: Leigh S on 03 August, 2021, 10:25:10 AM ---Loved the "Technicality" gag in Dredd!
--- End quote ---
That was really superb writing.

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 03 August, 2021, 09:47:41 AM ---although with Pandora Perfect starting soon it raises questions over turning over a chunk of the Prog to Regened stuff, but the short answer is I'll go with it if it's what the Prog needs to continue
--- End quote ---
I think for me there’s also a question of quality. So far we’ve had Full Tilt Boogie and Dept. K. The former didn’t quite click with me, but I enjoyed its world-building and would very happily read more. But it feels like a strip that needs momentum, like Nikolai Dante, rather than something that would end up only rocking up sporadically.

With Dept. K, I thought it had more potential in doing Dreddworld meets Black Science, but that was waved away almost instantly with something more normal. I thought it was fine. Yes, it was quite simple and hand-wavey, but I’ve read much worse in the Prog. I’ll take something that meanders between fun and inoffensive and that has nice art over, well, Skip Tracer’s cliches.

But: Pandora Perfect. This is going to be very interesting. The first tale was by far my favourite thing in the entire Regened run to date. It was just wonderful. The second one didn’t quite hit that dizzy high, but I thought it also hung together really well and was funny. But how will this work in the actual Prog? I’m fine with a comedy series. I’m fans of the people behind it (I mean, come on, surely Roger Langridge needs to be in the Prog more often). But will this be a multi-part series, which might be tricky to keep going? Or a bunch of fun one-offs, like the Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter?

Either way, I have high hopes and, frankly, good comics are good comics. Not everything has to be miserable and gritty to exist within 2000 AD. Perhaps, if handled well, Regened series can provide levity and variety to Progs that would otherwise be very grim in nature.

broodblik:
For me it is always about the balance of the prog although I can read "full" gritty/dark prog but will be more inclined to be miserable when the prog is trying to be "full" humor/lite.

Out of the regen world Full Tilt Boogie was a great series, so far Department K is fine and I am curious to see what Pandora will bring to the party.

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 August, 2021, 11:30:33 AM ---With Dept. K, I thought it had more potential in doing Dreddworld meets Black Science, but that was waved away almost instantly with something more normal. I thought it was fine. Yes, it was quite simple and hand-wavey, but I’ve read much worse in the Prog. I’ll take something that meanders between fun and inoffensive and that has nice art over, well, Skip Tracer’s cliches.

--- End quote ---

This is very true. Perhaps I've been a bit unfair on it: it held my interest more than (off the top of my head) Black Shuck and it is better than Skip Tracer. I'm always aware than in an anthology comic the strips should be different, and that means it's not always for me and that's fair enough.
I enjoyed Full Tilt Boogie: taking your point there about momentum, I actually think Dept. K could be better with a bit of momentum to flesh out these characters. I think in FTB the world it built, and the story it told, was just a lot more interesting, but there's tons of potential in both.

--- Quote ---But: Pandora Perfect. This is going to be very interesting. The first tale was by far my favourite thing in the entire Regened run to date. It was just wonderful. The second one didn’t quite hit that dizzy high, but I thought it also hung together really well and was funny. But how will this work in the actual Prog? I’m fine with a comedy series. I’m fans of the people behind it (I mean, come on, surely Roger Langridge needs to be in the Prog more often). But will this be a multi-part series, which might be tricky to keep going? Or a bunch of fun one-offs, like the Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter?

--- End quote ---

I share this concern also: PP is my favourite thing in the Regened to date: it's original, it's funny and it's got that anarchic touch that I think works so well in comics for children (and adults!) but I've no idea how this will translate to a full length series. I'd be happy with a bunch of one-offs, or maybe a handful of two part tales. I've confidence that something special could be happen with it.

I'm also interested to see how it's pitched tone-wise: I do like a comedy strip in the Prog but I'm not sure if we've had one so... obviously all ages may be the best term for it?.. sitting next to something like Aquila, with bloody dismemberments all over the shop and a dude being eaten alive by soul maggots: it could really stick out. I remember as a youngster finding Zippy Couriers felt like a strip that belonged in another comic (Zippy Couriers being a strip I think would actually work quite nicely were it Regened!)
As I say though, I'm confident it'll be cool.

The wider point, about having a Regened strip as a regular or semi-regular fixture I guess depends a lot on the quality of the strips themselves - as you say, good comics are good comics but I think a genuinely all ages comic is probably very tricky to write. 

Jacqusie:

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 03 August, 2021, 09:47:41 AM ---

Dexter: this strip is a sad shadow of what it once was.

--- End quote ---

I couldn't quite believe how clunky the dialogue and plot (using the term loosely) has descended into Planktown... almost as bad as that Generican Dream business a few years back.

Surely this is all a bad dream and someone is going to wake up soon?

Wagner on Dredd saves the prog and Aquila does a decent job of supporting him, but they aren't up against much competition sadly...

Colin YNWA:
Progged at last. And despite what appears to be the prevailing view here a good one in my eye.

Dredd is of course excellent. I do wonder if John Higgins doesn't like / get on with the new Robo-Judge design the way he kept it off panel. Utterly trival point but other than that this would just be more of the same ol' praise!

Skip Tracer now I accept it hard to argue with Indigo Prime's point about the fridging, on reflection it is pretty weak BUT I can kinda see some more potential here. Is the strip going to move into Lone Wolf and Cub territory - a psyhic Lone Wolf and Cub at that. I can really see some potential there. So I'll give this more rope and while this wasn't as strong as recent episodes it still much better than it was.

Department K look I think this was been brilliant. I really liked the ending and if we have The Fantastic Four and we got Galactus / Celestials and this is clearly been all very Kirby based I wonder if we're now moving onto a post Kirby Dark Phoenix Saga rift now. That I could live with. The ending really work, set up potential and I loved the post credit scene leading us into the next story. All in all a triumph for me this one.

Dexter I actually though this was pretty good. I am losing the will with Bulletopia after we were promised so much but this moves things on and calls back on elements clearly established to be drawn back on so happy with this in and of itself.

Aquila remains fantastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version