Main Menu

Prog 1847 Facebook

Started by moly, 24 August, 2013, 11:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

First time ever... no subs copy yesterday :( Not rad the posts above this... Not reading below this till my copy arrives...

:(
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Proudhuff

Cover: That is one cool boot sole hope that's standard issue

Damage report: rant button off?  :D

Dredd bender: cracking story telling all round, but I want to find out about the clones!

Defoe: ended as it should with Defoe [spoiler]back in black and leveling like a good un[/spoiler]

10 Seconder: big story great art, top hole tale.

Wolfie: The [spoiler]Prog-dog[/spoiler] sorry chaps

Slaine: I'm sure I'm missing something, but this seems to be a straight forward reprint, more or less

No letters, but hey, no Butt'man so that's good
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Do'h! getting my Megazine Dredd mixed up with my Prog Dredd, just too much excitement at the mo....
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

For the first time in a long time, a prog which makes me question buying 2000ad.

There's a lot of inconsistencies here.

Dredd is okay. It's a bit Breaking Bad, but that's a good thing.

Defoe meanders to an end. For a zombie packed, Faustian epic it was all a bit talky for me.

Ten Seconders
. I have no idea what is going on. It does nothing for me. I feel like I have walked in at the end of a German art house film. Random people do random things for random reasons.

Slaine. I'm calling it: this is a con. I read this stuff 30 years ago, and it was better and more coherent. This is like a fan strip, one of those experiments where you render a series in as few pages as possible. Why? I thought there was some kind of time travelling, "they know you're coming" angle. That is disposed of in a few pages. This is an excuse to have some great artists revisit old work and is a money making sham of a story.

Wolf. Actually, I quite like this.

BUT, the thing that gets me is that that three of the strips all rely on the same terrible plot device: a random powerful artefact appearing from nowhere that no one knew about and makes you go "huh"?

Ten Seconders: Top marks for ingenuity, [spoiler]pulling the glove from his stomach[/spoiler], but WTF?

Wolf: FFS [spoiler]Yellow slumpweed they had lying around[/spoiler]. (Maybe the fourth panel was to hint at this - but then (a) why cover the key item with speech; and (b) why not show it being picked up?)

Slaine: A wuh-thalum?

Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

EDIT 1: The boot on the cover is great.

EDIT 2: I should be clear I still quite like the 10 Seconders. It's just that it is bonkers and I have no clue as to what is going on. The two views need not be contradictory.
Lock up your spoons!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 August, 2013, 07:18:14 PM
For the first time in a long time, a prog which makes me question buying 2000ad.

There's a lot of inconsistencies here.

A really unsatisfying prog for me, too.

Dredd is fine but going through the motions this week, so a bit hard to comment on mid-story.

I like to think I'm one of the biggest fans of Defoe out there, but Book V has been... well, not the 'worst, but arguably 'least best' outing so far. Too little of the Brethren, too few character moments, almost no humour, no historical curios and a lot of really clumsy and laboured political opinion-spouting. I found myself abruptly going off the character of Defoe himself this week - his moral philosophy has more holes than a Greenwich prison hulk. Various continuity flaws in evidence - 'No mention of Creely's death' says Titus, apparently forgetting that Tonge and Eagle died in the same battle, not more than 24 hours apart, even if it took much longer in real-time to play out. Finally, the line 'In chapbooks only aristocrats are heroes' is utter rubbish and a good example of how facts are being twisted to fit a class bias.

The curse of Ten Seconders strikes again! Only this week did I realise how much of my previous enjoyment must have been down to Ed Bagwell, as I suddenly found it hard to engage with events this week.

Age of the Wolf does little objectively wrong but I'm just not invested in what's happening. I don't care about anyone in it; I don't care who lives, who dies, or what happens. I feel awful for saying that, but there it is.

Slaine must be utterly impenetrable to new readers. To more veteran readers, it's just a more inspid and less elegant retelling of stories that were originally done far, far better. Utterly gorgeous art, though.

Looking forward to better things when the line-up changes, but the imminent 1850 line-up is not particularly exciting me. Ho hum. Hope I'm proved wrong.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 August, 2013, 11:08:10 PMSlaine must be utterly impenetrable to new readers. To more veteran readers, it's just a more inspid and less elegant retelling of stories that were originally done far, far better.
That just about sums it up for me. Slaine's been all over the place since at least The Horned God, and its treatment of women appears depressingly regressive too often; however, I did enjoy chunks of the CGI run. This latest series has left me totally cold. It just seems to pointless, and I've not even liked the art all that much, bar McMahon's effort.

Still, enjoying Crazy Giant Aliens, When Judges Go Bad XI, and Sci-Wolf.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 August, 2013, 11:08:10 PM
I like to think I'm one of the biggest fans of Defoe out there, but Book V has been... well, not the 'worst, but arguably 'least best' outing so far.

Now I've never been a fan of Defoe, but I enjoyed this book more than the others. It had more of a story arc - previous instalments have seemed like pages of character descriptions and talking with very little actually happening to progress the story. I really don't care about "ye dirty dozene", and can actually only remember a couple of them - I think Pat created far more characters than needed and they have tended to swamp the narrative. I love it that Defoe is not a regular hero but that his leveller principles mean he's as happy fighting the crown as the reeks. My only quibble about the ending was the introduction of the 'Vizards' when it's so long since we found out who they are and how they fit in.

A perfectly fine meat'n'potatos Dredd, enjoying it but nothing much to say.

Ten Seconders is insanely brilliant as always.

I don't like AotW at all, I've given it my best shot over three series, but while there are some good ideas here I think the execution of it has been pretty poor, both in storytelling over the 3 books, and the artwork which is far too cutesy for the story.

Slaine - hmmmm. I think we could have had just as good a nostalgia-blast for fans with a series of pin-ups by the old artists, or brief one-offs telling "lost" stories; I really can't see the point of just re-telling these stories at all. They don't work in isolation and we've read 'em before.

A middling prog.

JamesC

A fairly middling prog I thought.

The Cover was ace and I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get more Cliff Robinson in the prog! Give him a couple of Dredd one offs that can fit in anywhere (a Christmas tale would be nice) and let him take his time. Make sure there's loads of Justice Dept tech for him to design too! When you have an artist of this quality on the books it seems criminal not to utilise him more.

Dredd carried on much as it has the last few weeks. It's okay but isn't really thrilling me. maybe there'll be a twist that blows me away though.

Defoe was good fun. I'm never exactly sure what's going on and who's who in this strip but I always find it entertaining and the art's great.

Age of the Wolf is still being skipped. I'm sure this strip has potential and I honestly think it looks great but something just doesn't click. I think perhaps it should have more of a Saturday morning cartoon feel but comes across as a bit overly complicated. I reckon with the right editor this could be cracking (Gerry Finley Day syndrome?)

Ten Seconders is another entertaining but confusing strip and I can't help but feel that it should have all been wrapped up by now. More Kirby crackle though and that's always good by me.

Slaine is fun but it does feel pointless at the moment. I cant help but think that something must be building up though and I hope it has an ending that blows us all away and makes us eat our hats. Whatever happens, if this gets collected it'll make a very pretty TPB (What's the page count going to be? Could be a good 'Free Comic Book Day' sampler!)

So, yeah, all in all it was worth the cover price as always but bring on Aquilla and lets get some substantial Dredds on the go too!

IndigoPrime

The logical ending to Slaine is it ret-cons most of the original run out of existence, it ret-cons this series out of existence or Mills just adds it all to the melting pot and it remains inconsequential and throwaway. Perhaps there will be a big reveal of some kind, but it all just seems so pointless. Still, more McMahon in the prog was a good thing—here's hoping Tharg can get him doing some Dredd soon.

Andy Smart

Like most people, I found this to be a decent but not entirely satisfying prog.

Cover Very nice though very similar subject matter and colour to Robinson's Meg 338 cover. Love the movement portrayed through the blood spatter.

Dredd seems a bit of a by-the-numbers bad judge story so far. Hopefully Wagner has a clever ending up his sleeve. Not loving Willsher on the art either. He's a good story-teller but I'm not particularly into the stylisation and he throws in a few too many angles. It's enough to give motion sickness

Defoe has been a fun romp and this is a satisfying enough end. I wasn't particularly fond of the series as a whole but this story appealed to me a bit better, maybe because most of the supporting characters were pushed off to the side.

Ten-Seconders Willsher again though his art looks a bit better with Abigail Ryder's colouring. The digital Kirby dots are not as good as Bagwell's ink dots. Lots of exploding in this on and it looks set for a big ending.

Age of the Wolf hasn't really grabbed me at all. It should be a lot more exciting than it actually is. Jon Davis-Hunt's figures are losing their stiffness though.

Sláine This whole storyline doesn't really work. We seem to be getting rushed summaries of classic stories and the setup in 1844 seems more like an afterthought. At least we're getting some terrific art out of it. McMahon and Fabry have produced some cracking stuff and it's a real pleasure to see them in the prog again. The previews of Bisley's art for next week look very pretty too. It's just a pity they aren't drawing new stories. Lovely pin-up by Dave Kendall too.

According to Pat Mills's interview in the Meg, Book of Scars is going to be collected in a book together with all the Sláine covers.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

sheldipez

Slaine must be utterly impenetrable to new readers. To more veteran readers, it's just a more inspid and less elegant retelling of stories that were originally done far, far better. Utterly gorgeous art, though.

I can only describe it as being dumped in the audience for a greatest hits tour of a band you've never heard of. I'm not familiar with any of these songs and, if I'm honest, not a fan of the lyrics so I'm just sitting back enjoying the light show. And my god was that some pretty lights in this week's tale. One of those where I've had the page close to my face soaking in the fine detail. One of the most stunning things I've read in the prog full stop. Some lucky chap (dale?!) gonna end up with those pages in the flesh (all the better without the lyrics, sorry - speech bubbles, all over it).

Defoe and Wolfworld are both tales I'm not invested in but are totally unnoffensive material; Defoe has lovely art and Wolftime is good Saturday morning cartoon nonsense (as a previous poster put it).

Ten Seconders is exactly my kinda sci-fi!

Oh and I'll say it again though - Willsher is my favorite Dredd artist, love the layouts and all those long sharp lines. I like Dredd best when it's these procedural tales but I might not be the person of authority there as I really enjoyed Grey Area! (When's that coming back?!)

If the prog was the only comic on pull I'd be more disappointed I guess. But it isn't so onwards through the pile.....

Darren Stephens

Quote from: sheldipez on 29 August, 2013, 01:08:10 AM

And my god was that some pretty lights in this week's tale. One of those where I've had the page close to my face soaking in the fine detail. One of the most stunning things I've read in the prog full stop.

Yeh, it's fantastic stuff. I remember years ago seeing some of Fabrys original pages in the old Forbidden Planet in London. I stood in awe for ages!  ;)

Great prog for me. Loved most of it. Enjoyed all of it.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

Quote from: sheldipez on 29 August, 2013, 01:08:10 AM

...as I really enjoyed Grey Area! (When's that coming back?!)

Another vote for more Grey Area - loved that strip!