Main Menu

An old query (probably): virus protection?

Started by SmallBlueThing, 16 November, 2012, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

My bullguard year is up and i really dont want to pay nearly fifty quid for protection again. Any recommendations for cheaper/free easy to install virus protection software that i could download and install easily tonight?

SBT

Spikes

When i first got started i used to use the free AVG virus protection. Was pretty decent, and simple to install as far as these things go. 
Is this the sort of thing your after?  -   http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

DoomBot

I used to use AVG and it's good, but I found it often did its best to grind my hard disk into dust. I now just use Microsoft security essentials. Not as full featured as avg perhaps but relatively lightweight and seems to work.

Dandontdare

I still use the free version of AVG. Seems to work for me, and when drunk I do have a habit of clicking on many dodgy..  ahem... gentlemen's links. Only one nasty virus has got through, and that was quickly solved by googling it.

radiator

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Everything Apple makes too expensive and restrictive.

There are plenty of free browser plug-ins that block ads and spyware. If you're using firefox, get ad-blocker pro.

There's also the linux option.
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pops1983 on 16 November, 2012, 09:26:37 PM

Other opinions are available. Your statutory rights are not affected.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Noisybast

Another AVG Free user here. Works well enough, as long as you just install the antivirus and ignore all the unnecessary toolbars and bundled crap that they offer along the way.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DoomBot

Quote from: pops1983 on 16 November, 2012, 09:26:37 PM

As an exclusive Linux user for 10 years I used to believe that myth too. But recently I've come to realise that you get what you pay for and yes expensive but not overpriced, and as boot camp or vmware lets me use windows if i must and it also runs all my favourite Linux X11 apps natively it's actually less restrictive than either Linux or windows.

SmallBlueThing

Thanks guys- much appreciated. I will do all this tomorrow morning, as im currently being stabbed below the left shoulderblade by an invisible attacker and as a result cant even think about opening my laptop tonight.

SBT

Noisybast

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2012, 09:04:49 PM
Buy a Mac.

Hmm. Throw away a perfectly serviceable laptop and spunk hundreds of pounds on an expensive new piece of kit *or* download and install a free app that will have you back up and running in five minutes. I'll let you make up your own mind on that one, SBT!  :)
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Enigmatic Dr X

On the PC, I understand MS own in-built AV software is as good as any free thing.

I use it, and have previously used both AVG (but it wasn't compatible with some games) and Avast (way too intrusive - lots of messages).
Lock up your spoons!

Rog69

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 17 November, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
On the PC, I understand MS own in-built AV software is as good as any free thing.

I use it, and have previously used both AVG (but it wasn't compatible with some games) and Avast (way too intrusive - lots of messages).

I use the free version of Avast and have found it to be fine. It used to be a pain with the messages in the older versions but they have added a setting called called game mode now, if you set it you won't hear a peep out of it.
They have also made the messages a lot more configurable these days so that if you do run with them on, you have control over what is displayed and for how long.

w3bz

AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials are good options IMO  ;)