Main Menu

And another Dr who question....

Started by PeterWolf, 18 May, 2007, 09:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peepsbutlerdroid

The last season (with McCoy) contained two of the greatest stories from the show's history in Ghost Light and Curse of Fenric. The show had been steadily climbing out of the nadir of Colin Baker's last season and the early McCoy episodes when it was promptly cancelled.

VampiraJen

god, can you imagine if she was still around now with everyone freaking out about the 'evils' og computer games...?

JamesC

Has anyone ever had their own Mary Whitehouse moment?
I remember being shocked and disgusted when I saw some long forgotten shite 90's boyband on Blue Peter singing a song called 'Liquid Dreams' which was all about messing the sheets up while dreaming about some woman made up from bits of other women like Jennifer Anniston and Pamela Anderson or something.

Sorry - that was totally off topic!

Misanthrope

I remember reading that Whitehouses son was a heroin addict and thinking: 'leading by example there, Mary.'
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Adrian Bamforth

"The last season (with McCoy) contained two of the greatest stories from the show's history in Ghost Light and Curse of Fenric. The show had been steadily climbing out of the nadir of Colin Baker's last season and the early McCoy episodes when it was promptly cancelled."

Those are the only episodes I have on DVD...the problem then was kind of the opposite of the problem now in that those stories were TOO ambitions and had TOO many themes going on, and the plots were bewieldering (though I love the idea of the being that wanted to archive all life on Earth but never could leave because it kept changing). It was becoming a kind of wierd mystery drama beyond the usual kind of sci-fi plotting, though the story was part of the puzzle. The partnership with Ace was just perfect and his relationship with her actually gave the stories some purpose and drive. McCoy made The Doctor mysterious and eccentric again, a small man affecting things with his wit, vision and improvisation, not sword fighting - which is surely the closest thing to a definition of what the show is actually about: The English hero (yes I know he's Scottish).

The effects however, were shit.

VampiraJen

I remember reading that Whitehouses son was a heroin addict and thinking: 'leading by example there, Mary.'

you generally find that with preachy parents and their whole thou shall, thou shall not attitudes, they just set themselves up some major rebellion and fuck their children up

Byron Virgo

"I saw some long forgotten shite 90's boyband on Blue Peter singing a song called 'Liquid Dreams' which was all about messing the sheets up while dreaming about some woman made up from bits of other women like Jennifer Anniston and Pamela Anderson or something."

So it's changed somewhat since my day then...?

Mr C

O-Town. 2001. Soon disappeared from the face of the planet after their debut.

For dirty pop, Another Levels "Let me lick you up and down" was a bit strong for the teeny bopper market, IMO.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNGipre7Lno" target="_blank">O-Town. Shit. Fact.

JamesC

Ah, that's it! O-town.
I seem to remember that one of them was the son of Ponch from CHiPs.

Peter Wolf

Only everytime i saw her on tv herself
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

VampiraJen

you have an icon!  Yah!  looks cool, whatever it is :)

Dark Jimbo

Curse of Fenric is my all-time favourite, along with Pertwee's Spearhead From Space. Being born a generation too late, the only Whos I caught on telly while still young enough for them to have the desired effect were the McCoy ones, barring later repeats.

It's fair to say that Fenric really fucked me up at the time - the images of the sea-demons(?) lumbering onto a bleak Yorkshire beach and stumbling through the graveyard, the vampire girls enticing ill-fated soldiers into the water, the green mist(?) snaking its way through the WWII base and killing every occupant... really bloody creepy stuff.
Yes, pretty bad effects, but it worked because it was all played so deadly straight, without the sort of smug post-modern remarks or Buffy-style one-liners you'd get these days to deflate the atmosphere. The cast were acting alongside men wrapped in bubble-wrap, but my god did they make you believe they were evil mutants!

Fenric is what I refer people to when they say what a bad doctor McCoy was. If only he'd had one more season, I think we'd have seen some really rather stunning stuff...
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

did she realise that you can change channels if you dont like what you are seeing?
           It seems she wasnt aware of this fact.
           she must have managed to turn it on unless someone else did that for her.

she must have secretly got off on certain material shown on tv ,felt very guilty about it,and then set herself up as some sort of moral guardian for everyone.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Byron Virgo

The series has also been collected in a series of Flemmis language books in Belgium as well.