Main Menu

Digital art programs.

Started by Kerrin, 03 August, 2009, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Sorry for the double post. I've ordered a copy of Manga Studio Debut from Amazon, they've got them for £35 incl P+P, a little bit more than downloading it from the link Jim posted but I like to get all the bumf with it.. Looks very easy to get on with from the advertising blurb, cheers for the recommendation Jim.

Realised I waffled on and battered the thread off topic last post so if you do use an art package that you think people should consider that hasn't been mentioned, please carry on and share it with us.

Kerrin

That's a cracking blog that is Johnny, bookmarked. You should post a link to it in the tutorials thread. Just the sort of thing that would fit in there perfectly.

Woolly

Personally Im a Photoshop CS1 kinda guy. Tried Painter a bit but couldnt get my head around it.
My computers a bit sh*t (Athalon 2.2 single core, 1GB ram, GForce 6 series graphics card) and tends to fall over and cough up blood if i try and use CS3.

Im really getting into custom brushes at the moment, tons of them can be found for free online but it's much more fun creating your own.

mygrimmbrother

For years I've been hand-drawing stuff, then scanning it and working on it/colouring it in photoshop 7 on my antiquated imac G3. Just acquired a shiny new PC laptop and Adobe CS2, so trying to learn how to paint with the touch pad at the moment! Think I'm gonna pick up a mouse, as it's very tricky to achieve any subtlety. Really really fancy picking up a graphic tablet, but might have to wait til Christmas!

Oh, and I must get to grips with Illustrator eventually too.

uncle fester

Grimm, don't bother with a mouse. Save your money and go for a Wacom tablet that comes with a mouse (when you've got the cash, obviously). Even the smaller ones are better than you'd expect. And a mouse won't help much with subtlety...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: uncle fester on 21 August, 2009, 01:58:04 PM
Grimm, don't bother with a mouse. Save your money and go for a Wacom tablet that comes with a mouse (when you've got the cash, obviously).

Wise words, mate! Someone described drawing with a mouse as being like painting with a brick, and that's about right, frankly.

This one seems remarkably good value for ~£50.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 August, 2009, 02:10:57 PM
Grimm, don't bother with a mouse. Save your money and go for a Wacom tablet that comes with a mouse (when you've got the cash, obviously).

Wise words, mate! Someone described drawing with a mouse as being like painting with a brick, and that's about right, frankly.

I knew someone who did everything with a Trackball and found the move to a Wacom more than a little liberating.

The best advice from those who use them a lot are that you should try and get the best one you can afford but it is worth having a practice on one to see how big your brush strokes are because that can help you decide if you need a large one or if a smaller pad will suffice.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 August, 2009, 02:10:57 PM

This one seems remarkably good value for ~£50.

That's the one I've got and it's bloody good for the money. I'm probably going to upgrade to an A5 size intuos (eBay always have several second hand ones) as I feel a little constrained by the A6 drawing surface, but till I get my act together with that it's perfectly good. The difference it makes to the use and enjoyment of art programs can't be over emphasised Grimm, well worth the investment.

Jim_Campbell

Personal recommendation for the Intuos A5 here. You'd have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.

And it comes with a battery-less mouse. If they'd make a wireless one, it'd be perfect!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

mygrimmbrother

Thanks guys, really appreciate the tips. An A6 area seems a bit small to draw on, but I reckon it's just a matter of getting used to it? I mean, if I'm used to painting with the mouse, it's got to be an improvement. I'll check out some of those recommendations.  :)