Main Menu

How do you store older Progs?

Started by The Adventurer, 07 January, 2012, 08:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Since Prog 2004 2000 AD has been shaped in such a way that they fit perfectly in standard Magazine sized bags and boards. But I have a handful of earlier progs from around the 500s (news print era, wide and short), mid 900s (similar to current, but bigger), not to mention pre-2004 tall and narrow America Comic style that started in prog 1200.

Are there any particular bags and boards that people use that are optimally shaped for these books?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

For my pre 500 issues I used this website

http://www.silveracre.com/

(look under comic supplies can't direct link as framed (who still does that?))

Having said that having just had a quick look it would seem they still have the old bags but not the boards that used to match?

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 January, 2012, 07:18:38 AM
For my pre 500 issues I used this website

http://www.silveracre.com/

(look under comic supplies can't direct link as framed (who still does that?))

Having said that having just had a quick look it would seem they still have the old bags but not the boards that used to match?

Nope. They no longer have larger board sizes or the old prog-sized boxes (but still picture them). I can't for the life of me remember where I was getting my boards and boxes - fellow boarder blixab, bless him, rounded up the last boxes I needed before I left your shores.

Mardroid

I use these for my comic storage. Cheap and sturdy. Fine for stuff up to A4 size (and slightly larger) so fine for the Prog. Of course the issues of 2000 AD I have are of the modern size (a bit under A4). I don't know how big the older issues were.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Halo572

Been a problem for me for 25 years.

When I managed to get storage boxes I used to cut out bespoke cardboard plates and sandwich 10 progs at a time.  I was aware of the acid issue but couldn't do anything about it.

Getting bags has always been easier than boards and I did the first 700 of those over the years.

4 years ago I looked around as I wanted to do the complete Megs set and complete 2000ads. 

JR Comics/Comic John on ebay being the same person do size F & H acid free buffer boards and bags and I got the boxes from Incognito.

It takes a bit of effort to work out what you need as the sizes changed so often.  F are said to be 'old' but they are now better than the 'new' H for the current size.

I bought them in 2 lots of around £150, shouldn't need any more for years and have only made it to 1994 so far after 4 years, but I am reading as I go.

Depends on your budget, but I've been collecting too long to care on price, I want 1 board and 1 bag per comic and I can't fault the JR comics products.  A box with that can take around 150 issues.

There are adverts in the early 1990s issues for the official binders but I never did order any.  Too expensive, didn't hold enough and would have ended up taking up too much space.

Fleetos

I've got a complete collection and have tried a few things.
What i have sealed on is;
I have found plastic sealable bags that fit 10 nice and sung. Spine to spine to keep flat. (Tired doing one per bag but gave up on the amount of plastic an space it took. 1700+ issues got a bit out of control).
Then place them in a sealed plastic box and stored away from sunlight.Try keeping them to their 100 runs. 0-99, 100- 199 . .

Make it easy to move and find things.

Van Dom

I just have mine in suitcases in the attic bedroom. Big, solid plastic chunky suitcases. Keeps them out of harms way anyway. And if I have to move house or anything, I'm already packed.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!