Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 28 December, 2021, 08:51:13 PM
... so I hope for a resolution.

Well, it is nearly the New Year ...

Jade Falcon

Well Zavvi said they will replace the entire order, so that's good of them.

One of the books are reproductions of the UK strips that were printed in TV21, and the unfortunate thing about that is the gutters are right in the middle making large parts of the strip unreadable unless you pry the book open.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Jade Falcon

Update, the replacement order (finally) arrived after prompting.

I had been thinking in buying one or two more batches, I won't bother. While I accept the chance of duplication, 6 of the 10 books in this order were duplicates of the 7 I already had. Researching the size of the collection, it was 140 books and six specials (crossovers), the specials are part of the Zavvi selection.

Really that means the chances of getting the same few duplicates seems inordinately high
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Humble Bundle is running another Humanoids bundle, the high end of which is £32.98.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/humanoids-megabundle-featuring-incal-books

However, the following items were in the previous Humble Bundle:

Before The Incal Vol. 1-6
Carthago Vol. 1-5
Carthago Vol. 6-10
Metabarons Genesis - Castaka Vol. 1-2
Omni Issues 1-4
Robert Silverberg's COLONIES Vol. 1-2
Space Bastards Issue 1
The Fourth Power Vol. 1-4
The Incal Vol. 1-6
The Metabaron Vol. 1-6
The Metabarons Vol. 1-8

The following items are new to Humble Bundle, from what I can tell. * denotes those that were in the Groupees bundle. - denotes items that are NOT in the 27-item £13.19 Humble Bundle.

After The Incal Vol.1 : The New Dream
- Alexandro Jodorowsky's Screaming Planet Vol. 1-2
*/- Barbarella Vol. 1-2
Bouncer Vol. 1: A Diamond for the Beyond
Bouncer Vol. 2-4
Bouncer Vol. 5-7
* Carthago Adventures Vol. 1: Zana
* Carthago Adventures Vol. 2-3
Carthago Adventures Vol. 4-5
Count
Final Incal Vol. 1-3
*/- Ignited Issue #1-4
Ignited Issues #5-8
Ignited Issues #9-10
In the Heart of the Impregnable Metabunker
Lugosi
Megalex Vol. 1: The Anomaly
Megalex Vol. 2 : The Humpbacked Angel
Megalex Vol.3 : The Heart of Kavatah
Omni Issues #5-6
Omni Issues #7-10
Son of the Gun Vol. 1-2
Son of the Gun Vol. 3-4
Space Bastards Issues #2-4
Space Bastards Issues #5-9
*/- Strangelands #1-4
Strangelands Issues #5-8
Swine
The Technopriests Vol. 1 : Techno Pre-School
The Technopriests Vol. 2-4
The Technopriests Vol. 5-8

So if you buy the £13.19 bundle and had the two previous ones, I think all you'll miss is Screaming Planet.

Colin YNWA

Can heartly recommend Bouncer included in that Humble Bundle. A brilliant, hard and dusty western.

I, Cosh

There may come a time when I stop buying things and never adtually reading them. But today is not that day.
We never really die.

Jade Falcon

I had tried another bundle of Star Trek books and got 2 out of them that I didn't have.  I don't even think that there is any I can trade with as I suspect that the collection according to Wiki was over 100 books, yet I suspect the ones in the Zavvi offer perhaps spanned 30, maybe 40 at most books.  And even then it might be ones that didn't sell so well.

Saying that, I did read the Trek/Planet of the Apes crossover called amusingly enough, the Primate Directive and it was enjoyable.  I really feel it could do with being a bit longer though.  There was a bit more characterisation to Dr Zaius and it did explain a nit I had with the Apes films between the first and second one.

The Green Lantern one was.....interesting, but I have no knowledge of the Green Lantern universe bar a couple of names.

There was a special called Assignment Earth that followed on from the episode of the same name and included Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln travelling to the near past in a crossover with the Trek episode Tomorrow is Yesterday.

Colin YNWA

NEW REBELLION HUMBLE BUNDLE!!!

And even though I have an astonish proportion of this physically this one will be  worth it for digital copies AND the bits I dion't have yet. As ever with Humble Bundles its an absolute steal.

https://2000ad.com/news/get-comics-support-charity-rebellion-humble-bundle-team-up-for-masters-of-british-comics/

IndigoPrime

I just did a quick check on the titles versus the previous Rebellion ones. From what I can tell, there are only five books that overlap: Devlin Waugh: Swimming in Blood/Red Tide; Honda City Law/Justice, and MCU01. Given that the top tier is £18.44 and you're lobbing a few quid at the London Cartoon Museum, that seems like another fantastic deal.

Colin YNWA

It genuinely fantastic. I mean getting Charley's War alone makes it a deal. I have it physically but being able to access it digitally almost justifies the entrance price alone.

BPP

Already snapped it up. So much good stuff - so much Carlos! - and the treat of the uncensored Cursed Earth is a cherry on top.

Many thanks Tharg and droids. I'll be pushing this on nonscrots.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jade Falcon

Do NOT TOUCH ZAVVI.

Bunch of crooks.

They recently had a five for £20 deal on graphic novels  I ordered five, missing two when it came through.  Received an email today saying one is out of stock and unavailable and that I would get a partial refund.  I went onto their live chat saying there were 8 other books in that collection on their site, could I have one of them sent with the other missing book.

I was told they can't 'exchange' an order.  How the f**K (pardon the language), do you exchange items that never arrived.  I said I didn't want a refund, I wanted a damned complete order and that it was very unprofessional to take orders for items they didn't have.  I was told I could make a new order.  I said this was not satisfactory as the promotion had ended (convenient huh?), and that a new order would also incur fresh postal charges.  I was offered a whole £5 credit, I've said this is not good enough.  Basically, that the company has screwed up majorly and its up to them to sort it out to the satisfaction of the customer (within reason obviously).  I now fear the other book will mysteriously end up being out of stock.

So....message of the day, don't trust Zavvi.  People complain about Amazon and their market dominance but at least I can say I have never to my memory had a problem with them.

user2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 February, 2022, 09:17:31 PM
NEW REBELLION HUMBLE BUNDLE!!!

And even though I have an astonish proportion of this physically this one will be  worth it for digital copies AND the bits I dion't have yet. As ever with Humble Bundles its an absolute steal.

https://2000ad.com/news/get-comics-support-charity-rebellion-humble-bundle-team-up-for-masters-of-british-comics/

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=48329.0

I posted over there, the (initial) quality is really bad on the CBZ, low res, jagged images and speech balloons make for difficult reading.

Happened with the 2020 bundle as well at first although it was sorted out pretty quickly.  Hopefully someone with access to fix this can be alerted?

Jade Falcon

So another update, Zavvi when I pressed them gave me £20 credit, which I used, my order is apparently on its way, but guess what, the other book I was waiting on.....surprise, bloody surprise, is out of stock and can't be restocked.

Yet they have more of that range of graphic novels on their page than before as if they are getting them in in dribs and drabs,

Is there somewhere that a formal complaint can be raised, I don't just mean Trustpilot.  I don't know about anyone else, but personally I don't think a company should be allowed to trade if they do this on a very regular basis and seeing Trustpilots reviews, this seems to be a VERY common thing.

IndigoPrime