Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Mork Whisper V Blood Moon  - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Relaunch: Game 02

Next in the Qualifying groups ties from the Relaunch Stories Region, Group 2

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

The Mork Whisperer - more info

Vs

Blood Moon - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 29th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

I enjoyed both of these but for the tourney I will go for:

The Mork Whisper
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Yep, Mork Whisperer for me too. Sometimes, I like a happy ending.

I, Cosh

No contest here. There were a lot of enjoyable stories in the "new" Strontium Dog canon but only one or two that can stand with the best of the OG (OD?) strips. Blood Moon is far and away the best of them. A return to the righteous fury of Rage or Portrait of a Mutant and maybe even a hint of authorial politics seeping onto the page which would be vanishingly unusual for Wagner. I remember at the time expecting this one to lead to more but John knows best!
We never really die.

Magnetica

Blood Moon has a very sad moment when [spoiler]Mardi blows herself up.[/spoiler] It also feels like an important story.

But I'm going for the Mork Whiperer.Because it's more fun.

And it is "Whisperer isn't it?

Barrington Boots

Mork Whisperer also gets my vote.
There's nothing wrong with Blood Moon: it's got some excellent things to say - but my favourite SD stories are generally the more Western / Bounty Hunter themed ones rather than war stories. Also, as others have said, Mork Whisperer is happier.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

I like that Mork Whisperer allows Alpha to get his end away (It can't all be about business, Johnny!) but there's really no contest here for me. Blood Moon is phenomenal, such a bravura story. Easily the equal of any classic-era tale you care to name. Also the only 2k story ever to feature my hometown of Winchester, so I think I'd have to vote for it just for that reason!
@jamesfeistdraws

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Leigh S

Can't disagree here - Nothing wrong with TMW, but Blood Moon presses the right buttons in terms of canon and character development

Funt Solo

Mork Whisperer for me - sorry to be negative, but I didn't like the character design on Blood Moon as I found it incongruous.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

Ah this is a difficult choice! The Mork Whisperer has the Western elements that I love and Blood Moon has the war elements I like (I least prefer the stories with supernatural elements).

With that said, as much as I enjoy how the Mork Whisperer unfolds while read, I'm going to have to go with Blood Moon. It was just more impactful to me after reading.

Dog Deever

I get what Funt says about the design of Blood Moon- I was disappointed with how he looked in comparison to other S/D villains.
The Mork Whisperer was another cracking Alpha tale, however I can't help but feel it's a little bit throwaway next to the sense of gravitas in Blood Moon.

So Blood Moon for me, despite how he looked.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Last chance saloon for voting here. I'll close this one off in the morning and annouce the winner then.

For me - well the opposite of the other vote today, each of these has much to offer. I do however want to like Blood Moon more than I do. Great villain, great insights into Johnny's past, fantastic ending... BUT it drifts at times and feels over extended to me. Mork Whisperer on the other hand does what Stontium Dog does best. Its a sharp western and so much as I like Blood Moon and want to love it as it feels important there's no doubt:

The Mork Whisperer

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well if the other vote ending today was close this one has given us our first tie. It was neck and neck nip and tuck nothing could seperate these two. Both fantastic stories and the quality and consistancy of Wagner and Ezquerra later work on the strip is symbolised here:

Tie!

Blood Moon                  1   0
The Mork Whisperer    1   0
Kreeler Conspiracy      0   0